Formal Wear

Cruisung Lady

Would someone advise me on formal wear for men. When do you wear a cream or white dinner jacket. Do you wear it the first formal night or after the crew changes to their white uniform.

Traditionally, gentlemen wear a cream jacket when the officers wear their white mess jackets.

Although it seems rather more relaxed sometimes.

The general rule that the Royal Navy use, which I believe is the same aboard a cunarder, is that the change of dress is based on latitude rather than temperature.

You might get a kick from this. Wikipedia says (and their editors caution: This article or section does not adequately cite its references or sources.):

White dinner jackets are only worn in warm climates, and in the summer in some temperate countries. Not only are the British Isles not considered warm enough for white dinner jackets to be acceptable, but the United Kingdom frowns upon their use, even in warmer climates. In the United States and Canada white dinner jackets (as with most of white summer clothing, like all-white loafers, all-white seersucker, etc.) may be worn from only from Memorial Day through to Labor Day.

A black dinner jacket (tuxedo, here in the New World) is always correct (they haven't done "white tie" afloat in a long, long time, see any number of "Titanic" films.)

Paul

Some still wear white tie on occasion!

I'm of the school that thinks anything other than black looks "kinda tacky":D

It's an interesting point of trivia that the Duke of Windsor, generally thought of as an arbiter of taste in good tailoring (and the inventor of the soft-pleated front dress shirt with the turn-down collar, to be worn with a DJ) wore midnight blue dinner jackets and tailcoats, rather than black. They appeared to be more jet-black under artificial light and, as we know, he was a famous Cunard travellor as Prince of Wales and after he blotted his copybook with Mrs S.

It's an interesting point of trivia that the Duke of Windsor, generally thought of as an arbiter of taste in good tailoring (and the inventor of the soft-pleated front dress shirt with the turn-down collar, to be worn with a DJ) wore midnight blue dinner jackets and tailcoats, rather than black. They appeared to be more jet-black under artificial light and, as we know, he was a famous Cunard travellor as Prince of Wales and after he blotted his copybook with Mrs S.

Miss Manners seems to agree with the Duke of Windsor about dress shirts (about his choice of companionship she is forever silent). This from the same gospel that I cited before:

Black tie and the more formal white tie seem to have gotten stangely mixed up. Wing-collared shirts belong with white tie only (never mind what the rental shop told you: the black band around the back of the neck looks like a major case of ring around the collar); black tie requires pleated shirts, not ruffled;...

Paul

Black tie and the more formal white tie seem to have gotten stangely mixed up. Wing-collared shirts belong with white tie only (never mind what the rental shop told you: the black band around the back of the neck looks like a major case of ring around the collar); black tie requires pleated shirts, not ruffled;...

Paul

And there is a rumour that some use ready tied bow ties!

The cads!

Matthew

[i like that. I've always known that I could be a great conductor - if only I could conduct!

Matthew/QUOTE]

I conduct all the time while driving my car!

I also play great timpani on the steering wheel.

Is it my fault that the orchestra can't follow? <G>

Traditionally, gentlemen wear a cream jacket when the officers wear their white mess jackets.

Does one call them up before dressing to inquire as to their attire this evening?

"Hey Yeah, Iz this the Captain- Yo, This is Bob down in cabin Bilge deck 304. Yeah, I was just wondering- What'r you planning on wearin' tonight? So's I can pick out whether to wear my Black tux or my Cream colored one. Cuz I spilt gravy on the black one the other night, and I'll have to try to blot it out with a washcloth or somethin' if yore gonna wear black again!

I don't wanna look stupid ner nuthin! So whatcha wearin'?"

BTW, I watched our cruise video last night. The stock footage they include - I think it was at the Captain's cocktail party. Well, I was shocked and amazed at the perponderence of white jackets! And I KNOW it wasn't the waiters coming with champagne for me. Cuz it they never manage to come round or run out of champagne just as they get to me. Then they forget where they left off!

According to our Tux shop, there is no such thing as a "White worsted wool" tux. !

100% correct. A true white DJ has to have a polyester/man made content ;)

Although some of the "White worsted wool" ones look pretty white to my eyes.......I obviously don't have 100% eyesight :cool:.

The real problem with white DJ's for us guys is that you have to pack black as well! Think stains and marks, which they always invite!

If there is room in the case, on a Carabbean cruise, I say go for a white DJ. However, if there is extra room in the man's case, how many of you ladies would actually prefer to take it up with an extra dress instead?

It just makes packing for a white DJ a tough thing to achieve in practice......hence you don't see many!

It's no rumour - I do:o (Having spent hours trying to tie one and never succeeding I've just given up).

Malcolm,

I'm shocked!:eek:. I thought that to travel on QE2 one must tie one's own bow tie. I think you mentioned that you are a teacher. Can you not get access to the remedial classes?:rolleyes:

I hope this will help you (It even has pictures!):D

http://www.tie-a-tie.net/bowtie.html

David

I think you mentioned that you are a teacher. Can you not get access to the remedial classes?:rolleyes:

Of Adults - they're all remedial!:D

I hope this will help you

Sorry David but I tried that site a while ago. It didn't help:(

(Besides even if I don't look quite acceptable I'm happy in a pre-tied tie:D )

[i like that. I've always known that I could be a great conductor - if only I could conduct!

Matthew/QUOTE]

I conduct all the time while driving my car!

I also play great timpani on the steering wheel.

Is it my fault that the orchestra can't follow? <G>

Does one call them up before dressing to inquire as to their attire this evening?

"Hey Yeah, Iz this the Captain- Yo, This is Bob down in cabin Bilge deck 304. Yeah, I was just wondering- What'r you planning on wearin' tonight? So's I can pick out whether to wear my Black tux or my Cream colored one. Cuz I spilt gravy on the black one the other night, and I'll have to try to blot it out with a washcloth or somethin' if yore gonna wear black again!

I don't wanna look stupid ner nuthin! So whatcha wearin'?"

BTW, I watched our cruise video last night. The stock footage they include - I think it was at the Captain's cocktail party. Well, I was shocked and amazed at the perponderence of white jackets! And I KNOW it wasn't the waiters coming with champagne for me. Cuz it they never manage to come round or run out of champagne just as they get to me. Then they forget where they left off!

The Cunard liners used to have a phrase in the daily programme along the lines of "this evening the Captain and his officers will be wearing..." which helped everyone work out the form!

Archived