Mayan Ruin Shore Excursions

Adi12982

We are trying to plan a Mayan ruin excursion for our August cruise. . . Carnival only lists Mayan Ruins of Tulum (Ultramar) . . . we are more interested in Chichen Itza. . . .

What are your recommendations for a ruin’s tour? Should we book the one the cruise offers? Are there reputable people you can book with before hand or at the port? What do you think is best? This is our first cruise ever, so any tips will help!

What have your experiences been?

THANKS for your help!!

It's the one tour my husband REALLY wants to do. . . will it be that bad. . . ugh. . .

I was just redaing elsewhere that this can be all day (and runs late) so you can't see anything else, is this true?

It's the one tour my husband REALLY wants to do. . . will it be that bad. . . ugh. . .

I was just redaing elsewhere that this can be all day (and runs late) so you can't see anything else, is this true?

Unless you love heat and dont mind traveling 3 hrs I would suggest a different excusion.:)

Yup, you'll be spending all day at the ruins. Trust me...you don't want to do this in the Summer. The humidity will eat you up! There are several threads about Tulum including a recent one about the intolerable heat. I believe they referred to it as the "Batan Death March" at one point. I've done both a couple of times in Winter and it was hot then...couldn't imagine doing it in Summer!:eek:

Hi

We just returned from a 7 day on the VOS on March 30. We did the RCCL Tulum Express Tour.

I cannot Speak for the weather in August. However, the day we were there it was Around 88 degrees and a tad humid. There is very few places to sit and very little Shade.

As to the trip itself. It is a long Trip. We Docked at approx 9:30 and as soon we got off the Ship we had to ferry over to Playa del Carmen. The ferry was high speed but the water was extremely rough. There were more than a few people Sick. After You depart the boat you must walk throught a portion of town to the Bus. After that you ride For awhile and they stop about 10-15 Before Tulum at Rest Stop/tourist Trap. You stay about 15-20 minutes and on to Tulum. Once you arrive ( Roughly 2-2.5 hrs) you Must again walk a fair Distance To Get To the Entrance Of the ruins site. There is a Tram that you can ride To get to the entrance. Its well worth the $2 US to ride. but Be warned that the wait to get the tram can be long.

The ruins are Absolutely Awesome. After the tour you have maybe 1 hour or So to wounder around on your own and then you must return to the bus for the trip back. After We arrived Back at Play del Carmen. We Took the Ferry back To Cozumel, But not To the same pier as the Ship. They drop you off in town about a 10- 20 Minute walk from the Ship.

All told we walked back to the boat without Stopping and we were about 15 minutes away from them pulling up the Gang plank.

Having said every thing I just did. I would highly reccommend this trip. I really would love To go back again. As I feel i did not have enought time to see everything.

Hope This Helps

Hi

We just returned from a 7 day on the VOS on March 30. We did the RCCL Tulum Express Tour.

I cannot Speak for the weather in August. However, the day we were there it was Around 88 degrees and a tad humid. There is very few places to sit and very little Shade.

As to the trip itself. It is a long Trip. We Docked at approx 9:30 and as soon we got off the Ship we had to ferry over to Playa del Carmen. The ferry was high speed but the water was extremely rough. There were more than a few people Sick. After You depart the boat you must walk throught a portion of town to the Bus. After that you ride For awhile and they stop about 10-15 Before Tulum at Rest Stop/tourist Trap. You stay about 15-20 minutes and on to Tulum. Once you arrive ( Roughly 2-2.5 hrs) you Must again walk a fair Distance To Get To the Entrance Of the ruins site. There is a Tram that you can ride To get to the entrance. Its well worth the $2 US to ride. but Be warned that the wait to get the tram can be long.

The ruins are Absolutely Awesome. After the tour you have maybe 1 hour or So to wounder around on your own and then you must return to the bus for the trip back. After We arrived Back at Play del Carmen. We Took the Ferry back To Cozumel, But not To the same pier as the Ship. They drop you off in town about a 10- 20 Minute walk from the Ship.

All told we walked back to the boat without Stopping and we were about 15 minutes away from them pulling up the Gang plank.

Having said every thing I just did. I would highly reccommend this trip. I really would love To go back again. As I feel i did not have enought time to see everything.

Hope This Helps

My family and I are going on the express tour in 2 weeks. When you returned to Cozumel, you didn't have anytime to stop in town? I was hoping that after the excursion, we would be able to shop for a little before going back to the ship.

Thanks for your help,

Liz

My family and I are going on the express tour in 2 weeks. When you returned to Cozumel, you didn't have anytime to stop in town? I was hoping that after the excursion, we would be able to shop for a little before going back to the ship.

Thanks for your help,

Liz

Hi Liz

I cannot say that Your Excursion would not Be Different.

We arrived in Cozumel About 1/2 hour before We had to be on the Ship. Since the Ship was a 10-20 minute walk from the pier. We had no time.

We Could have saved 10 minutes if we had taken a taxi. But even then It was hardly enough time to Shop at all. So we took a leisurely walk to the Ship.

The RCCL excursion book says that they Drop you In town To Shop, but Honestly It was not in the cards for us that Day.

As I said above your Experience could Be different and you could have more time.

That said you will enjoy TULUM. Its Awesome and if you would like, there is a Beach just below the Ruins you can Swim at. So Wear or bring a bathing suit and towel. Swimming depends on If you have the time. Your Tour guide will give you all that info.

Hope This Helps

Phil

We are trying to plan a Mayan ruin excursion for our August cruise. . . Carnival only lists Mayan Ruins of Tulum (Ultramar) . . . we are more interested in Chichen Itza. . . .

What are your recommendations for a ruin’s tour? Should we book the one the cruise offers? Are there reputable people you can book with before hand or at the port? What do you think is best? This is our first cruise ever, so any tips will help!

What have your experiences been?

THANKS for your help!!

I believe that if you want to go to Chichen Itza, you will have to fly as this location is in the middle of the peninsula.

I would not attempt to see the ruins from a cruise ship. Fly to Cancun and rent a car. You can drive to Tulum and to Chichen. They are really great, but a very tiring trip via a cruise ship.

Hi Liz

I cannot say that Your Excursion would not Be Different.

We arrived in Cozumel About 1/2 hour before We had to be on the Ship. Since the Ship was a 10-20 minute walk from the pier. We had no time.

We Could have saved 10 minutes if we had taken a taxi. But even then It was hardly enough time to Shop at all. So we took a leisurely walk to the Ship.

The RCCL excursion book says that they Drop you In town To Shop, but Honestly It was not in the cards for us that Day.

As I said above your Experience could Be different and you could have more time.

That said you will enjoy TULUM. Its Awesome and if you would like, there is a Beach just below the Ruins you can Swim at. So Wear or bring a bathing suit and towel. Swimming depends on If you have the time. Your Tour guide will give you all that info.

Hope This Helps

Phil

Thanks for your advice. I am looking forward to seeing the Ruins. We are leaving next Sunday on our cruise. It'll be fun.

- Liz

during August between Chichen Itza and Tulum I would recommend Tulum. CI is further into the jungle and is just plain ol furnace hot at this time of year. (heat index taking it upwards of 115 degrees). Mosquitos are also a very big issue. Tulum is still hot n humid, but being situated on the coast makes it a little bit more tolerable than Chichen.

Both are breath taking to see. Chicneh for it's size tulum for it's coastal setting

We've visited the Tulum ruins from Cozumel via ship excursions twice, once in June and once in January. My vote is for January! They really are amazing, but the heat can be fearsome. It's an all-day trip but well worth it. Note that if you are prone to seasickness, the ferry ride can be a rough trip both ways.

Here are some photos from out last trip:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/westcarib2007_3

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

And some from 2005:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/westcarib05&page=3

Enjoy your trip!

Dave

Archived