Need info from others who have done Alaska on Summit

susanema

We'll be on the 5/25 sailing and I have some concerns about the long stretch in Anchorage before the trip home. Are passengers dropped off at the Egan Center? If so, is transportation provided to the airport? Is the luggage storage located there or at the airport? If the bus drops passengers at the airport, is the downtown area easily accessible from the airport?

Thanks so much for any input you have on this and on all the information I've gotten from this board!

susanema,

We'll be on the 5/25 sailing and I have some concerns about the long stretch in Anchorage before the trip home. Are passengers dropped off at the Egan Center? If so, is transportation provided to the airport? Is the luggage storage located there or at the airport? If the bus drops passengers at the airport, is the downtown area easily accessible from the airport?

Thanks so much for any input you have on this and on all the information I've gotten from this board!

Celebrity's transfers normally drop everybody off at the Egan Center, where Celebrity operates a hospitality center with a complimentary "day check" service for your luggage. The transfer also includes the transfer from the Egan Center to the airport. The last bus to the airport is around 6:00 PM, when the luggage day check closes, but that still gives you the whole afternoon to explore Anchorage's downtown.

And Anchorage has a wonderful downtown, too! I have yet to find a restaurant there to which I'm not eager to return, and the shops carry many items that you won't find in the "lower forty-eight."

Having said all that, I have one piece of advice. If you have not already done so, book the "Grandview Rail Transfer" from Seward to Anchorage rather than the motorcoach transfer. The extra $20 or so buys you a much more comfortable seat on a rail car where there's room to get up and move around, food and beverage service en route, and great views of some of Alaska's most spectacular scenery in areas that simply are not accessible by road. The rail transfer now operates to the airport rather than the downtown station, but Celebrity provides complementary shuttles from the airport station to the Egan Center for passengers whose flights are later in the day.

Better yet, if you can swing it, book a couple nights in a hotel in downtown Anchorage and reserve a rental car at the airport. When the Grandview Rail Transfer drops you at the airport, pick up your rental car, drive to your hotel, and check in. Not only is Anchorage worth at least a couple days, but there are also several fantastic day trips that you can do using your hotel as a base. If you get a day that's clear in the valley, take the drive up to Talkeetna -- where the scenic overlook offers a spectacular view of Mount McKinley, the world's tallest (but not highest) mountain, and lunch at the Latitude 62 Inn. The famous Mount Alyeska Resort, just south of Anchorage, offers spectacular views from the top of the mountain and great attractions in and around its lodge. And you can drive down to Whittier for a day cruise of College Fjord, home of some of Alaska's most spectacular glaciers. That is, if you get bored with Anchorage....

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

Thanks Norm! Great advice.

One question. How do you book the rail trip from Seward to Anchorage? I looked on the Celebrity web site, but can't find it under transportation or shore excursions.

Thanks again.

Hey Norm. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I’ve been looking at Alaska cruises for quite some time now and was having a hard time trying to decide on side trips to maximize our time there. All I knew for sure was I wanted to go to Fairbanks because I used to live there when I was too young to appreciate Alaska and I’ve always wanted to go back for a visit. Well, it just might be that we need to make 2 Alaska cruise trips. Now, I know for sure I want to book the “Grandview Rail Transfer” from Seward to Anchorage, make Anchorage our home base, rent a car, take a day to drive to Mt. McKinley and then, on another day, head down to Whittier for a day cruise of the College Fjord glacier. I’ve read that the cruise ships can’t get in close to the glaciers and I bet the day cruise boat/ship can get in real close for an even more spectacular view. You provided the how/2s, e.g., Celebrity complementary shuttles from the airport station to the Egan center, etc., etc., etc., that gives me the information I need to make sure I cover my side trip bases when I finally decide to book our cruise. I’m so glad I read through this thread tonight. I almost skipped it…thinking I’ve read just about everything there is on Alaska cruises. Wrong-O. Thanks again.:)

susanema ~ enjoy your May Alaska cruise.:) Hope to see your Alaska cruise review when you return.

susanema,

Thanks Norm! Great advice.

One question. How do you book the rail trip from Seward to Anchorage? I looked on the Celebrity web site, but can't find it under transportation or shore excursions.

Thanks again.

You have to have your travel agent book the "Grandview Rail Transfer" through Celebrity, just like the standard motorcoach transfer. AFAIK, it's still offered.

Norm.

Archived