Children's Program on the Grand

duckygirl

I cruised with a 9 year old. As I recall, the program was pretty extensive similar to RCL and Carnival. In Cozumel, take them to Chakannab and swim with the dolphins. In GC, take them to Stingray City. There is a nice beach in Costa Maya close to the pier. There is also a shopping area right off the pier with a pool and the area is nice and new. I have not been to Belize. Have fun!

We were on the Grand in April with our grandsons ages 5 and 8. The children's program is pretty good. They had lots for the kids to do. The main complaint we had was with having 1st sitting dining and the timing of the evening kids' functions. We are going on the Star next March and plan to use personal choice dining so we can feed the kids and then get them to the kids' area. The boys enjoyed the Atlantis submarine ride in Grand Cayman. Another good place would be the turtle farm. Shopping isn't really geared for kids but there is a Hard Rock Cafe at the pier. In Costa Maya they have shows and entertainment in the shopping area. We enjoyed the show very much. The tours there aren't geared for younger kids. In Cozumel, we just walked around the shopping area with them for a while and then they spent some time in Kids Zone while their parents were on a tour. Haven't been to Belize. The boys are really excited about going on their 2nd cruise.

We have a 12 yr old and will be on the Grand at Christmas. Last year on the Coral in Alaska, we had PC dining. Our son liked the kid's programs so well that he seldom at supper with us. He ended up ordering room service at 10pm each night. Now I know that isn't the best situation but he was happy and thought picking up the phone to get food was great and we kind of liked it also.....we seldom every get to have a table for two.

You might keep that in mind and order room service or let the kids eat in the Horizon Court so they can go to the programs.

Has anyone cruised on the Grand with 4-7 year old children? What was the kids program like? Any recommendations on things to do with them in the ports (Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya)?

We sailed the sister ship Golden this past June the kids program is very good. Laminate a copy of your drivers licence before you go, as you will need photo I.D. every time you sign the kids out. We did the Southern Carribean, so we went to different ports than you. The Kids Camp was pretty empty on port days and you need to advise the camp the day before if you intend to use it. We went to a lot of good shopping ports so we would leave the kids in the a.m. and go shopping then come back for them before lunch to take them either on an excursion or to the beach.

You may not have this luxury in Belize and Grand Cayman as you will need to tender back and forth to the ship.

Regarding things you may want to do, but....you know your kids better than anyone, or at least you think you do and 4-7 is young.

We took the kids to swim with the Dolphins last summer ds age 5 dd age 9 in Nassau. Ds was terrified, this was an encounter mind you not an actual swim as the minimum age for swim is like 10 or 12. Needless to say it was a bust $$$$ very expensive, the rest of us enjoyed it but had I waited another year I think the outcome would have been better.

Swimming with the rays we took my dd when she was 7 we left ds on the ship he was 3 at the time. DD screamed for about 15 minutes but then calmed down and really enjoyed it, we have great pics from this.

I am doing these ports the end of August on EOS, my kids are 6 and 10.

Belize water taxi to Caye Caulker (I am hoping to convince the kids to snorkel Shark Ray Alley, but my dd is not to interested in swimming with sharks).

Costa Maya we will take a taxi to Mujahal and hang at the beach....

Cozumel we will take a taxi to Paradise Beach and spend the day.

Grand Cayman is still up in the air and will depend on what we do in Belize.

We do not as a general rule take kids to the Ruins, they much prefer the beach and snorkeling.

We had our 7 and 3 year olds there last summer. At Coasta Maya they both loved going into town and hanging on beach. Alll you do is buy a roiund of drinks at one of the bars and you can sit all day. There was also a donkey for rides and some vendors. There is also a pool at the pier.

In COzumel we "tried" going to Xcaret. Unfortunately we hit a sotrm and had a very wet time. We had been there before and its a great place to go with kids as young as three or four: beach, animals, shows. One piece of advice, don't bother with the ship tour unless you have perfect weather. You wnat flexibility to cancel. Once you take ferry across to Playa Carmen its a cheap taxi ride to park.

In Cayman's we did a stongray swim. Again weather was a alittle rough for my 7 years olf (left 3 yo with grandma) but he enjoyed. On a calm day even a four or five year old could handle. If water is rough you need to be a decent swimmer. Other than that not much for kids here.

Also if going to Princess Cays the kids club there is a disappointment. basically small fenced in area with minimal shade and one very small pool that only 6 kids can go into at a time. We ended up taking kids out after an hour.

Kids club on ship was excellent. Both kids loved it. They ahve cheap babysitting until 1am.

Archived