Did JS get new perks?

Oh I understand your MIL's situation. But think of the number of people here over the past 4 months that this came up *trying* to get a key to the CL because they found a loop hole on CC?

It's kind of like what happens on the Carnival board...someone mentions the "45 day letter" that Carnival sends out giving free gifts to someone who writes a complaint/praise letter to them and within days everyone is asking for the Carnival address cause they want to write a letter to get a free gift.

Yes, this is what happens, but it IS of RCCL making: not only did they make the problem (ok an "oversight", but you can completely understand why people are booking JSs believing that they will get CL access etc).

RCCL SHOULD be getting a grip on this situation:

- printing clear and unequivicable statements about JSs on their website.

- recalling any of these incorrect brochures from travel agencies and their own ships (the later would be VERY easy to do!).

- maybe rename JSs (although other lines have similarly named cabins - Princess has "mini-suites" that don't get the full suite perks - without too many problems).

If they did this they could help stop the confusion and provide some "damage limitation". Yes, you couldn't deny those brandishing a CURRENT brochure that lists a JS as a suite (and entitled to CL access) access to the CL. Ok they could be CruiseCritics trying to take advantage of the situation, but equally they could be people who had booked the JS in good faith...

My guess that RCCL are either not very organised/co-ordinated on this issue or, more likely, they think that "those in JSs who will try to get into the CL" will be relatively few and not worth the hassle of worrying (or doing much) over...

Does anyone know WHICH season of brochures this misprint/oversight refers to? 2006/2007 or 2007/2008? Anyone seen in it any brochures dated beyond that (i.e. 2008+)? Brandishing a brochure will/may work (with quite a bit of hassle - as Leo's Family encountered), but RCCL will have no reason to honour "out-of-date" brochures (i.e. ASSUMING they don't make the misprint in the next season's brochures).

Needless to say, it is a show of really bad communication from RCCL - you cannot blame anyone for taking advantage of it.

Boo

Nothing wrong with working the system, when RCCL makes a misprint.

I guess that's where you and I can agree to disagree, I like to work WITH the system instead of working it.

And I guess owning an ad agency might make me a little more aware of the problem of misprints. I always put a disclaimer, as I am sure RCCL did when the brochures were created.

Nothing wrong with working the system, when RCCL makes a misprint. As FOS and LOS are the only ships with a separate Diamond Lounge. I will all but gaurantee you that there are more Diamonds on some sailings than there are JS. Lots of people become Diamonds by sailing insides and OV. It is RCL that has made the psuedo category of a Junior Suite anyway. I see no issue with someone wanting access to the CL if that is what is stated in the brochure.

Good point! You know what cracks me up is all this worry over how many people can fit in the lounge! Granted it's a problem that RCCL may want to address, but think about it...The pool is only so big, but everyone has the right to use it. JR's is only so big, and can't possibly fit all those entitled to it...what about the specialty restaurants, and ice shows....the list goes on.

Not everyone entitled to one venue can all fit at once! So it's first come first serve.

Good point! You know what cracks me up is all this worry over how many people can fit in the lounge! Granted it's a problem that RCCL may want to address, but think about it...The pool is only so big, but everyone has the right to use it. JR's is only so big, and can't possibly fit all those entitled to it...what about the specialty restaurants, and ice shows....the list goes on.

Not everyone entitled to one venue can all fit at once! So it's first come first serve.

So why not make the CL open to all in the first place?

Boo

And I guess owning an ad agency might make me a little more aware of the problem of misprints. I always put a disclaimer, as I am sure RCCL did when the brochures were created.

If you want to show or advise us where in the brochure there is a disclaimer regarding misprints, I am sure everyone will accept that statement.

I didn't mean for anyone to be rude (Boo), I simply asked a question. I am not cheap, I am not a user of the system and I paid 7500.00 for a JS and Balcony that cost more than a GS or Owners suite at the time due to the fact that there were no family suites available and we have 4 people and needed 2 bathrooms. Maybe before you are so rude and try to cut people down you should think. To all of the other kind people, expecially RSSCAPTAIN, I thank you for your kindness. Oh by the way I could give a ---- about the CL lounge. I can afford to buy my own drinks. It was just a simple question.

Thanks

I guess that's where you and I can agree to disagree, I like to work WITH the system instead of working it.

Good idea, but how long would you run the incorrect add, even with the disclaimer? After a year or so, wouldn't it border on false advertising? When would you claim responsibility? And would you pull the add when you could, instead of keeping it going? When is the responsibility yours, to your consumer?

One could argue the RCCL is working the system in getting guest's to upgrade from a balcony to a JS by luring them with in with suite perks, only to say, "sorry." Just as you mentioned purchasing your GS as I did, to get the perks, with of course the large suite too. LOL ;) If this happened for a short period of time, I'd be more apt to agree with you. But this has happened before in years past, and has gone on for far to long, for me to think that RCCL shouldn't be held responsible.

Who knows maybe it's a test case of some kind?:eek:

PS There is a disclaimer... RCCL can change anything they want to at any time....Wow! Just think what these boards would be like when after final payment they wanted more! EEEK!

No, the OP now has the answer that they wanted to get - so they will not bother calling RCCL again... ;).

My concern, as posted above, is when they don't get what they are expecting... there will be a big rant on this board about how they were conned because they didn;t get their suite perks in their JS (which is partly true - RCCL really SHOULD get it's message straight and keep their employees well-trained and uptodate with changes :rolleyes: ).

But, in all honesty, I believe more of what is posted by experienced cruisers on here than I would from RCCL telephone agents or other Travel Agents...

Boo

Always trust someone who has "been there, done that" over someone who is reading an answer from a flip chart after not even comprehending the original question... :rolleyes:

LL

Yes, this is what happens, but it IS of RCCL making: not only did they make the problem (ok an "oversight", but you can completely understand why people are booking JSs believing that they will get CL access etc).

RCCL SHOULD be getting a grip on this situation:

- printing clear and unequivicable statements about JSs on their website.

- recalling any of these incorrect brochures from travel agencies and their own ships (the later would be VERY easy to do!).

- maybe rename JSs (although other lines have similarly named cabins - Princess has "mini-suites" that don't get the full suite perks - without too many problems).

If they did this they could help stop the confusion and provide some "damage limitation". Yes, you couldn't deny those brandishing a CURRENT brochure that lists a JS as a suite (and entitled to CL access) access to the CL. Ok they could be CruiseCritics trying to take advantage of the situation, but equally they could be people who had booked the JS in good faith...

My guess that RCCL are either not very organised/co-ordinated on this issue or, more likely, they think that "those in JSs who will try to get into the CL" will be relatively few and not worth the hassle of worrying (or doing much) over...

Does anyone know WHICH season of brochures this misprint/oversight refers to? 2006/2007 or 2007/2008? Anyone seen in it any brochures dated beyond that (i.e. 2008+)? Brandishing a brochure will/may work (with quite a bit of hassle - as Leo's Family encountered), but RCCL will have no reason to honour "out-of-date" brochures (i.e. ASSUMING they don't make the misprint in the next season's brochures).

Needless to say, it is a show of really bad communication from RCCL - you cannot blame anyone for taking advantage of it.

Boo

I agree 100%! To answer your question I have the Carribean Bahmas and Bermuda 2007-2008. The very same brochure that they have been STILL passing out ON the ships as we speak.

I didn't mean for anyone to be rude (Boo), I simply asked a question. I am not cheap, I am not a user of the system and I paid 7500.00 for a JS and Balcony that cost more than a GS or Owners suite at the time due to the fact that there were no family suites available and we have 4 people and needed 2 bathrooms. Maybe before you are so rude and try to cut people down you should think. To all of the other kind people, expecially RSSCAPTAIN, I thank you for your kindness. Oh by the way I could give a ---- about the CL lounge. I can afford to buy my own drinks. It was just a simple question.

And if you would have continued reading, you would have seen my apology... (you are just very selective in what you read/hear). Also that my concern was for you and other people getting your hopes up unnecessarily.

I was just concerned that you are asking the same question over and over again - until you get the answer you like. But if that is what you want to do...

You have your answer about the CL - if you can find a copy of the misprinted brochure, away you go.

If you want to other perks, then you have a variety of different opinions - just don't be disappointed if you don't get what you are expecting :(

Boo

Always trust someone who has "been there, done that" over someone who is reading an answer from a flip chart after not even comprehending the original question... :rolleyes:

LL

True as I haven't met Leo's family and aquacruiser in person, I suppose they could just be saying they had access to the lounge. So I'll just have to wait and see what happens when we cruise!

That is why I asked for my MIL's invitation to be put in writting, as I expect policies will (at least should) be changed by the time we cruise.

Sorry but it *could* affect my cruise. There are what, 8 GS's onboard a ship and then how many higher suites? Not many. Now compare that to the number of JS's onboard. And on the Freedom of the Seas, our next cruise leaving Sunday, the CL is separate from the Diamond/Diamond + lounge.

So when we pay the extra money to have access to a CL (among other perks)..and in the case of the Freedom it was ALOT, then I expect to be able to use the perks I paid for and not be in a lounge crowded with everyone who *thinks* they are entitled to something because of a misprint.

I know it sounds snobby and I am trying NOT to be. But put it THIS way...wonder if you paid top dollar for tickets to an event and when you got there you found out that everyone else was given the tickets for free. Wouldn't that upset you?

And I am just AMAZED at the lengths that people will go to to get something free. I mean, copying a brochure...come on. :rolleyes:

Interesting. The number of JS is rather high on some of the ships like the Freedom and Voyager Class but the numbers go down fast on a Sovereign Class vessel the number of JS is 50. Now I see this as a Fleetwide problem, too many want suite priveleges and the CL for the suites is to small. I think that maybe the JS is going to have to be reclassed into a superior ocean view (call it C1 for this idea) and give it Concergie Class (CC) style perks like on Celebrity The only fix is going to be either making the CL very large or change JS to something that does not say suite. I agree with Crusinmama on this it is amazing what people will do to get a bit more than normal out of something based on an older flyer.........Redo all of the flyers in conjunction with the cabin reclassification. End of problem :D

If you want to show or advise us where in the brochure there is a disclaimer regarding misprints, I am sure everyone will accept that statement.

I wish I could but I only have Carnival brochures in front of me...lol. I have NO idea why I don't have a RCCL one.

And so you all are saying that there really ARE no disclaimers in the brochure? :eek: See if RCCL was MY client, THAT wouldn't happen. LOL! :p

I agree 100%! To answer your question I have the Carribean Bahmas and Bermuda 2007-2008. The very same brochure that they have been STILL passing out ON the ships as we speak.

Then they will/should probably honour that throughout 2008 then.

I don't think that anyone will find them drawing people's attention to it (i.e. no keys to the CL in JSs), BUT if people are willing to argue/fight for it...

Boo

Good idea, but how long would you run the incorrect add, even with the disclaimer? After a year or so, wouldn't it border on false advertising? When would you claim responsibility? And would you pull the add when you could, instead of keeping it going? When is the responsibility yours, to your consumer?

One could argue the RCCL is working the system in getting guest's to upgrade from a balcony to a JS by luring them with in with suite perks, only to say, "sorry." Just as you mentioned purchasing your GS as I did, to get the perks, with of course the large suite too. LOL ;) If this happened for a short period of time, I'd be more apt to agree with you. But this has happened before in years past, and has gone on for far to long, for me to think that RCCL shouldn't be held responsible.

Who knows maybe it's a test case of some kind?:eek:

PS There is a disclaimer... RCCL can change anything they want to at any time....Wow! Just think what these boards would be like when after final payment they wanted more! EEEK!

No, you're right. AS SOON AS a mistake is found on my clients' advertising...it doesn't matter if it is print, broadcast or the web site. A change is made RIGHT AWAY with no delay.

So RCCL needs a new ad agency/marketing firm. :D

No, you're right. AS SOON AS a mistake is found on my clients' advertising...it doesn't matter if it is print, broadcast or the web site. A change is made RIGHT AWAY with no delay.

So RCCL needs a new ad agency/marketing firm. :D

Another great idea from the Desk of Crusinmama. Going to have to forward her ideas to AGoldstein asap. :D

Then they will/should probably Honor that throughout 2008 then.

I don't think that anyone will find them drawing people's attention to it (i.e. no keys to the CL in JSs), BUT if people are willing to argue/fight for it...

Boo

I think you are right again!

Again I ask since this has gone on for years, and RCCL states below that they believe it to be correct, how long does one buy that?

Note: Royal Caribbeans itineraries, pricing, policies and procedure are constantly evolving. Royal Caribbean has strived to ensure that all information listed in this brochure is correct at the time of printing. However, any information contained herein, including pricing, is subject to change without notice, and Royal Caribbean reserves the right to refuse to honor any prices that were erroneously printed or quoted. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for any misprints appearing in this brochure. Maps are for informational purposes only and itineraries are subject to change.

This is a very good point and absolutely true. There would be a key in the JS if this was the intent. Not one single person has reported this happening.

Personally, I have spoken to RCI, and so has a TA family member of mine. Also, my wife is a graphic designer who has a friend in the RCI marketing department.

It isn't so much that it was a misprint. It was more of an oversight. They listed the JS under the suites in the "Pick a Room" section, then said suites get CL access. They never intended for JS to have CL access.

(Sorry folks. I know this has all been stated a thousand times. Just in case there are new readers)

Oh what the heck!:) You can say it a few more times! I told you this was going to come up again and again and now prime cruising season is here! :D

I spoke to them too several times, I emailed them, I got different answers! Thee BEST RCCL conversation I had was in my TA's office when I tranferred a reservation and the rep asked to speak to me to be sure I wanted to transfer it. I booked all my cruises directly with RCCL but learned on CC I could transfer to a TA for some perks! Now that was a good tip! :D My TA put us on speaker phone and I said yes it was me and yes I wanted to transfer it, THEN since I had the rep there on speaker phone with TA, I asked if the JS got the CL and was told BY THE REP oh yes, you are going to love it, voyagers such lovely ships, blah, blah! :D I just laughed! My TA says its printed there, she's received no word from RCCL stating otherwise and that's how her company is selling it. This was AFTER the October cruise, I transferred the June one in Feb.? I think. ;) I posted it on the other thread at the time. I believe you Paul 110 percent about what you were told, but you would think RCCL would inform their reps about it! This has been going on how long? I booked all the cruises in July I think and found out there may be an issue in Sept? With emails and faxes today how hard could it be?

Oh what the heck!:) You can say it a few more times! I told you this was going to come up again and again and now prime cruising season is here! :D

I spoke to them too several times, I emailed them, I got different answers! Thee BEST RCCL conversation I had was in my TA's office when I tranferred a reservation and the rep asked to speak to me to be sure I wanted to transfer it. I booked all my cruises directly with RCCL but learned on CC I could transfer to a TA for some perks! Now that was a good tip! :D My TA put us on speaker phone and I said yes it was me and yes I wanted to transfer it, THEN since I had the rep there on speaker phone with TA, I asked if the JS got the CL and was told BY THE REP oh yes, you are going to love it, voyagers such lovely ships, blah, blah! :D I just laughed! My TA says its printed there, she's received no word from RCCL stating otherwise and that's how her company is selling it. This was AFTER the October cruise, I transferred the June one in Feb.? I think. ;) I posted it on the other thread at the time. I believe you Paul 110 percent about what you were told, but you would think RCCL would inform their reps about it! This has been going on how long? I booked all the cruises in July I think and found out there may be an issue in Sept? With emails and faxes today how hard could it be?

aquacruiser what happened to your truce? LOL J/K

aquacruiser what happened to your truce? LOL J/K

Oh, truce is still on with Paul!:D He's a worthy opponent for me and I always respect and enjoy his posts even if we disagree sometimes!:D I'm not disagreeing with him this time either. I just blame RCCL and he does say he was told it was an oversight. One that I feel should have been corrected long ago if that's how RCCL feels about it but they didn't correct it and that's not right! But they do honor it which is a good thing for them to do.

While I'm on the subject about honoring it, there were posts before I got involved with the JS debate last year. Some of those posts were stating how people ranted and raved and waved brochures around etc. My posts can all be found under my name so feel free to read back. I was not connected with that behavior as some people here know.:) I also want to state which can be confirmed by reading back , I ASKED ABOUT THE CL. I DID NOT ASK FOR THE CL and my conversation with guest relation was polite and friendly on both sides. I was trying to get a definite answer which I feel I did not as they agreed that was what was written and an officer handed me the CL card. When I told him the CL itself was not really the point but the answer to the question does CL come with a JS or not, they just didn't know but going by what was written. I went to LA a couple days later to just ask her what the answer was and she checked all brochures and said according to them yes, JS gets the CL and offered to give me a card. I said no, Guest relations already did that. I wanted a definite answer to tell the board. She emailed RCCL for me but I never heard anything back from her about it nor did she when I stopped by last afternoon. So maybe there are some people demanding it, or being very insistent, but that was not ME! Personally I have always stated RCCL needs to honor what they are selling until they change it or maybe they'll just overlook it again. Who knows but it's their fault not the people who book JS's off those brochures expecting to get the CL.:)

Archived