Question about traveling to Galveston and My upcoming Conquest Trip

I am traveling in from Louisiana and was wondering if I should take I-10 to Hwy 146 South to I-45 route to Galveston OR take the Winnie Exit SR124 to the Bolivar Free Ferry route? Which is quicker? If I take the ferry route, is it open 24-hours? In other suggested routes?

I am traveling in from Louisiana and was wondering if I should take I-10 to Hwy 146 South to I-45 route to Galveston OR take the Winnie Exit SR 124 to the Bolivar Free Ferry route? Which is quicker? If I take the ferry route, is it open 24-hours? Any other suggested routes?

Hi SouthernCruiser,

My wife and I just returned from our 3rd Conquest Sailing yesterday, and took the Winnie Exit to the Bolivar Ferry both coming and going. We live in Plaquemine, just south of Baton Rouge. This is definitely the way to go. The Winnie exit is about 35-40 minutes on the other side of Beaumont...exit to the right then turn left until you hit the beach, about 25 minutes. Turn right, go another 25 miles and it dead ends at the ferry. We left Baton Rouge early in hopes to get on board as soon as possible (Unfortunately either Carnival or U.S. Immigration kept everyone waiting till 2:30 to board...we never found out the whole story).:mad:

We left BR at 5:00 and arrived at the terminal at 9:30 even after the ferry crossing. (just to give you a time reference). It was an easy trip there, just watch your speed along the beach road...the local law must have been bored early on Sunday morning, because he did a "u-ey" as we passed him, and tailed us vitually the whole way to the ferry. Couldn't have been the LA plates huh ?? :)

It was cool the see the Conquest in port as you take the Ferry ride across the bay. Just follow the signs when you get to Galveston Island...there is one that directs you towards the cruise terminal.

I'll be posting a long winded review later this week on this board, so check back. We had a great trip.

Tony

I would suggest taking the ferry also. we live about 45 minutes from the pier and have traveled both routes. we enjoy the coast road more, and there seems to be less traffic. the route is I-10 to hwy 124 south at Winnie (mile marker 829)then south on Hwy 124 to hwy 87. Bear right on hwy 87 when you get to the beach and continue on until you get to the ferry landing. (watch your speed along the coast road, as Galveston County has a no tolerance code in effect, especially for open containers in a vehicle) you can see the cruise ships from the ferry on the way across to the island. if you have kids, take some old bread with you and feed the seagulls (at the back of the ferry) also look for dolphins going over on the crossing, especially when you are near the park where the submarine is (on your right going over to galveston)/ There can be quite a line on weekends, up to a two horu wait at times, but that is not always the case, some times you can drive right up on the ferry when you get there, just depends on your timing....

Thank you to everyone for your responses. Especially the one about watching my speed. :) Don't need any extra cost or headaches. One final question that did not get answered.....Is the ferry open 24/7? We will actually be driving overnight from my daughters college graduation at Ole Miss (Oxford, MS) and am not sure what time in the morning that we will get to the ferry crossing. Might work out that it is in the wee hours of the morning? Thanks for any information someone might have or if someone has a link or phone # that I might call.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. Especially the one about watching my speed. :) Don't need any extra cost or headaches. One final question that did not get answered.....Is the ferry open 24/7? We will actually be driving overnight from my daughters college graduation at Ole Miss (Oxford, MS) and am not sure what time in the morning that we will get to the ferry crossing. Might work out that it is in the wee hours of the morning? Thanks for any information someone might have or if someone has a link or phone # that I might call.

Yep...the ferry is open 24/7 - 365 according to the texas DOT Website. They run more ferries at peak times. When we disembarked the Conquest this past Sunday, we had a wait of about 20-30 minutes to leave Galveston Island, and it looked like they had 4 ferries running. Going to the pier however, we got to the ferry landing on the east side at 9:00 am Sun and drove right on.

Info and pics are here:

http://www.texasbob.com/travel/tbt_bolivar_ferry.html

and here:

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/maintenance/ferries/default.htm

The ferry is the shorter route. It is not always the quicker route. That depends on the day of week and the time of day. I would stay off of I 45 during rush hour traffic.Saturdays can have a long wait for the ferry ,but I 45 might be better that day than during the week. Having said all that ,I PREFER the ferry route .

I believe that the schedule goes to two trips per hour after midnight.up until about 0500 that used to be the schedule when I was taking patients to UTMB by ambulance, anyway . but they may have changed...... however the info is correct, they are open 24/7 unless shut down due to weather conditions(hurricanes,etc...)

This may not be an issue but......... If I do arrive, by ferry, into Galveston in the wee hours of the morning, say 5- 6 AM, what should I plan to do besides maybe sleep a couple of hours. Great Breakfast spots? Is it safe to park somewhere and just sleep to waste a couple of hours? Any local flavor "must see's" on a Sunday morning?

This may not be an issue but......... If I do arrive, by ferry, into Galveston in the wee hours of the morning, say 5- 6 AM, what should I plan to do besides maybe sleep a couple of hours. Great Breakfast spots? Is it safe to park somewhere and just sleep to waste a couple of hours? Any local flavor "must see's" on a Sunday morning?

You can drive or park along the sea wall and watch the sun rise. There should be some 24 hour food places along the sea wall also. We have never went that route from our house but have been down the hwy 146 many times. Traffic should not be bad either way in the early AM. Weekends during midday can be bad on Hwy 146 in Seabrook area.

I live in the Houston/Galveston area so hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

Yes, the ferry runs 24 hours a day and is free

In the morning you won't have long lines waiting to come from the Boliver side to Galveston side but going back home there are really long lines in the summer. I have friends that have a beach house on Boliver and I usually drive through Winnie to get their and take the ferry back home.

Galveston has a big night life so come Sunday morning you may not find allot to do. I would be careful just parking and sleeping. There are areas in Galveston that are not safe especially at night or when it is dark.

Galveston has some beautiful old houses and it is always neat to just hang out around the seawall and people watch.

Hope this helps and you have a great trip.

Archived