Hyatt Pier 66 verses Marriott North

Cathy p

HI, everyone, we just got back from a cruise to the western carribbean and thought I would should some thoughts on the Hyatt and Marriott.

We arrived in FLL on 4/12 at 11:00 am. We had asked for an early arrival. Well 4 and 1/2 hours later we were still sitting on the sofa in the lobby. The girl at the front desk was very rude to start with. I remember her from last year. I booked this hotel as we love to watch the ships roll in. Fantastic view and room. I asked about lunch and she sent us to the pier for lunch. It was pouring out and finally the bellman took us in his little golf cart. When we got there we were told it was closed because of the rain and we could have lunch in the hotel. Our rude girl told us only breakfast. Needless to say I was a bit upset. So off we went back to the hotel for a $48.00 lunch that included a burger and chicken sandwich. The food was very expensive for what you got and not all that great. Their pool is very nice with bar and sandwich service.

Now for the Marriott North which by the way was $37 one way from the cruiseport and $32 to the airport. It really is not close to anything, however, the service and food was well worth the money. We got their at 9:30 am after our cruise and she had a room ready for us. Very nice room. I think the hotel is a bit on the worn side but very nice anyway. We had the breakfast buffett for $11 which had anything you could possible want on it. Their OJ was great and the coffee was fantastic compared to the Star Princess. lol Our waitress was very pleasant and helpful. However, our dinner was great and Poncho was the best waiter that we encountered in a very long time. He was 20 going to school from Bulgaria. What a sweetheart. The bartendar was fantastic as well. They have a button that you push for basically anything that you want for your room called at your service. We seemed to get Paul most of the time and what a guy he was. I filled out compliment cards for both him and Poncho.

I agree that the Marriott is a bit far from the cruiseport, however, I would stay their after the cruise in a heartbeat. They do have restaurants within walking distance and a list of various other places along with how much a cab ride would be.

I think the Hyatt has seen the last of us for our next cruise. Their is no excuse for the horrid service that we received even at a senior rate of $257 a night.

I hope this helps everyone.

Well, my wife and I have a reservation at the Pier 66 this June for the view also. I kind of figured the food would be pricey, but we are going to rent a car so we will be dining where we want to. To bad about the rude girl. I hate bad service, especially when you are paying for it. Now my guard is up and I haven't been there yet.

The girl at the front desk was very rude to start with. I remember her from last year.

Did you take the time to speak with the manager on duty about this employee? My experience with this hotel has always been that it goes above and beyond to correct any issue that is not to your liking. The only way they can deal with an issue is if a customer brings it to their attention. The MOS's go out of the way to accomodate the guests if the complaint is a valid one.

The last time I stayed there was last year in July. Things were still be worked on from the hurricane from the previous year. The highlight of our stay was the wonderful girl at the check-in counter. She was sheer delight. Now I wish I could remember her name. I did tell Carlos who is the manager that he had one of the finest and not to let her go.

Linda

PS always tell the good and the bad that way the managers knows whats going on.

Hi Cathy P,

I must say I was surprised to hear about your experience...sorry you had such a bad stay...I have always enjoyed the Pier 66 and stay there often. But here is another suggestion, the Embassy Suites right on 17th before the bridge...wow did we have a great time there. They have a cocktail hour that is wonderful and a buffet breakfast that is just yummy and both are included in your room rate. The lobby is so pretty, with waterfalls and tropical plantings all about...really a nice experience. I must warn you though, the rooms are typical Embassy Suite rooms, great beds, but it is time for them to modernize:D

Rev

Archived