Roll Calls

LHT28

I think the number of cruisers who know about Cruise Critic is fairly small in relation to the total number of cruisers.

I do know that on Princess, when they have put a notice of Cruise Critic meeting in the Patters paper, invariably one or two people show up to voice their complaints, misinterpreting the purpose of the gathering, and then professing amazement at the group's existence.

You have a valid statement there. IMO I also think alot of people don't know of this site in general let alone the roll call and other informative venues one can click on here. In the group that knows of CC I think theres a % that want to remain private and don't want to share any of their feelings, likes or dislikes & so on, so they consequently stay off the "roll". You can also tell theres a % that in reading their queries I think they'd have trouble navigating thru this site.

I personally have learned sooo much about my ports of call on each cruise not to mention the great friends, or cruisemates if you will, I've made contact with on the"roll".Case in point: I've had quite a few words with a future cruisemate(in roughly 4 wks)I'm just dying to meet. Her name is "Aussie Girl". In fact there's a group of us already forming up for a pre-cruise dinner in Papeete. This is what is so great about the roll calls. Those who don't partake, to me anyway, seem to miss out on alot.

Buona notte e CIAO,

I also have been struck by the paucity of responses for my plea for others who are on the July 14th Istanbul to Venice cruise to make themselves known. It's true that it makes it easier to start the cruise by having a meeting somewhere on the ship at the start. CC is an ice breaker, and makes the cruise seem friendlier. I also have learned so much by reading posts - the best guides, what to avoid, and how to navigate the various ports. I think that since the Oceania roll call is relatively new, that most people don't know about it.

The last time I was on Oceania was for the inaugural cruise, and at that time there was a yahoo chat room set up for the cruise. I believe it was stated on the Oceania site itself. That group met on the first night, and most of the participants of that group were invited to a wedding on board which was very special. You never know what can come out of this.

Judith

O has capacity of 2000 passengers for the entire line, whereas one Celebrity M-class ship carries almost that number . Perhaps it's just that.

I've also noticed that Transoceanic crossings ( two that I've noticed ) have a high participation rate. My speculation is people want to make friends before they board so they'll start off on the right foot right away. Or it's just that this type of voyage attracts people who like to socialize.

I personally enjoy the benefit of sharing the planning part, but I also understand some people have little time for this. Maybe people feel that once they've signed up on Roll Call, they have an unstated obligation to write from time to time.

The roll call for my Oceania Baltic cruise last year was very successful and Oceania did not even have their own board. I responded to request to share a private tour in St Petersburg and in no time we had gathered a group together. This year, I've posted on both the roll call and this board in hopes of finding other couples on our cruise. It looks like just Brian and Jean might be the only other couple joining us!

Marcia

I have not joined my roll call because all the postings concern arranging private tours. I am not interested in private tours. No other topic is discussed and the one time I did post ( a long time ago) I was immediately invited to join a private tour. Thanks but no thanks.

Archived