A. Sabella's or Scoma's in San Francisco?

I forget the names, but there are at least 2 premier restaurants at Pier 39 that have far superior views, ambience, service and prices to Scomas & Sabellas. Do a search on Pier 39 restaurants and take a look. They're great.

http://www.pier39.com/Dining/Restaurants/index.htm

http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/sanfrancisco/a/sffishwharf_2.htm

Which is the better choice: A. Sabella's or Scoma's in San Francisco? The cost of the meal at both would be about the same. I am not worried about which has the better view because I am planning to tour the city. Taste and atmosphere is what I am looking for.:)

I looked it up. At Pier 39 either Swiss Louis or Neptune's Palace are premier restaurants without the Fishermans' Wharf (Scoma's) attitude. Much better value and I think much more enjoyable. Have a great trip.

Actually, I have been to both those restaurants at Pier 39, and was very disappointed. I think they are tourtist traps! I would recommend Scoma's, as I have not been to Sabella's in years. Sorry Polodad. :o

Maybe you're right 2Sail, perhaps Swiss Louis & Neptune's palace discriminate against tourists and gave me as a local, excellent service, food and value because I've resided in the Bay Area for 35 years. On the other hand, Scoma's & Sabellas don't discriminate, they screw both locals and tourists.

I hate their "if you aren't referred by George Bush" you aren't getting a table in the next millenium attitude and they act as if they are doing a favor by overcharging you.

Wow Polodad! Tell us how you really feel. :D I have just never had good luck at Pier 39 Restaurants. No complaints with service, just the food. I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life, so I don't think I qualify as a tourist.:p I will have to give Neptune's and Swiss Louis another try!;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to both restaurants and prefer Sabella's by a long shot over Scoma's. But I guess it's what YOU like. Scoma's is loud and boisterous and you could die of old age waiting for a table and your food. I was NOT impressed with my food, service or the ambience!! I prefer the quieter (but not stuffy) atmoshere at Sabella's. Sabella's looks like it has been redone since we were there last, though I'm not sure. It seemed brighter and lighter inside. We have been there several times for special occaisions. You can Google them and make reservations on line.They also use OPEN TABLE, which is an on line reservation service. EVERY table has a view because of the way the tables are set up toward the huge windows facing the water. The restaurant is on the third floor of the building so nothing blocks your view. When we want a nice meal w/o the pandemonium, we go to Sabella's.

BTW, another, more casual place we like is Boudin's. It is in the same general area. They have a bakery and shop downstairs and the restaurant is upstairs. We have eaten lunch and early dinner there several times. My personal fave is macaroni and cheese with crab. Boudin's seems to attract a younger crowd and has a nice bar.

MG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your advice.:) I was in San Francisco about 2 weeks ago and LOVED it! I had lunch at Bistro Boudin and had the Crab Louis Salad which was absolutely yummy! For dinner, I ended up at Scoma's, which was kind of noisy. I had the red snapper, which was delicious. I would recommend both of these restaurants in a heartbeat. If I ever go back, I plan to give other great restaurants a try!!! Thanks again!!!:D

It's been years since I have eaten at A.Sabella's, but it was always pleasant, never noisy. I have had some good meals at Dante's on Pier 39 (again, years ago), but the worst food I have had on Pier 39 was definitely at Neptune's Palace.

I would make suggestions away from the Fisherman's Wharf area to a foodie who wanted to experience the best the city has to offer, but most out-of-towners who are taking a cruise want to stay near Fisherman's Wharf and if that is the case I would just like to say that Neptune's Palace is not where I would ever choose to eat again. The crab wasn't fresh and nothing we ordered was tasty.

For the most current list of best restaurants look at the restaurant reviews in the food section at the following:

http://www.sfgate.com

Newcomer!

As I said, I've only been in Frisco (take that), for 35 years. Hopefully I'll be accepted before I die. If not, I guess I'll just have to get associated with there is no THERE there.

If you still trying to choose, my 2 cents are that Scoma's has the better food, A Sabella's has the better views.....personally I take out of town friends to Scoma's.

Pier 39 is alot of fun for shopping and walking around but the restaurants there are very touristy and not very good...and the only ones I'll eat at (when I absolutely have to) are Bubba Gump's or the Crab House....both of which are national chains.

Most of us who actually live in SF avoid the restaurants at F. Wharf and Pier 39. You will never find any of the restaurants at either place on a list of the best restaurants in SF.

Farallon or Aqua are two of the best.

Newcomer!

As I said, I've only been in Frisco (take that), for 35 years. Hopefully I'll be accepted before I die. If not, I guess I'll just have to get associated with there is no THERE there.

Hmmm, there is no "there" there...that's Gertrude Stein's reference to the other side of the Bay, i.e. OAKLAND, not San Francisco.

(REAL San Franciscans don't call it FRISCO....sheesh.) :):)

Archived