Vegan Food

Temeculite

does anyone know if Carnival does this or would it only be vegetarian. When I booked the cruise my daughter was a vegetarian, now she is vegan. I sure hope she doesn't starve. As long as there's salad, fruit smoothies with no dairy, rice and/or noodles I guess she'll make it!

My daughter did the same thing! Yes, Carnival cruiselines and other cruiselines will cook to order anything she wants to eat. My daughter was 20 when we went and they catered to her after the first night. She just ordered entrees without cheeese, meat, etc. Alot of spaghetti, noodles, vegatable dishes. she loved the food. When it was time for dessert, they came in with a plate that read ' DESSERT' written in icing gel ! haha However, they bring her a beautiful dish of fruit each night at dinner.

Some other items she had, Garden veggie burger, nice salads, pasta with veggies, baked potato -plain- , peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, garlic bread, lots of smoothies, and usually on the dining room menu there are vegan choices, or other dishes where she can order without cheese.

Also when ordering pizza, just ask them to make it for you, without cheese, and all veggies- It will be fine.. I worried too, but it was amazing how much she ate. I am not too sure they offer soy milk on all cruises though. I think she had it on NCL, but cannot remember Carnival. There are alot of juices, Tea, etc.

does anyone know if Carnival does this or would it only be vegetarian. When I booked the cruise my daughter was a vegetarian, now she is vegan. I sure hope she doesn't starve. As long as there's salad, fruit smoothies with no dairy, rice and/or noodles I guess she'll make it!

They have vegetarian food. But, I'm not sure if they have pasta without any egg or dairy of some sort. They do have salad and fruit plates.

I would call them and really discuss your specific concerns with them- don't just say vegan but specifiy exactly what you do an do not eat.

I think it would be nearly impossible to not have meals specifically prepared- from the food my parents told me about- most veggies have been in butter, there is likely to be milk/eggs in all breads and pastas (as well as butter). A lot of pastries will contain small amounts of animal fats, many desserts will have gelatin to help hold their shape. If she's a vegan, I'm sure she is used to watching out for these things, but if she's a new one there is a lot of hidden animal products out there.

I wouldn't plan for her to "just be able to order around". The vegans I know spend a TON of time interogating the staff at the places they eat so they know what is "safe"- call carnival to make sure it will be accomodated.

My daughter reminded me that we did request before we cruised on Carnival. This allowed for pasta without the ingrendients she will not eat, such as egg. Here is a note one Menus for Carnival:

- Special dietary requests must be made at least two weeks prior to

departure. Travelers are also advised to talk to their waiter about

special instructions for preparing menu items. Lowfat menu items are

flagged on each menu. Two vegetarian options are noted on their

dinner menus but not for breakfast. The vegetarian dinner

menu includes pear nectar, vegatables, cream of asparagus soup, sliced cucumber

and Belgium endive in lemon dressing, vegetable brochette, vegetable accompaniments.

I'm a vegan and pretty much the only meals that I have issues with are breakfast and dessert.

Unless she wants fresh fruit for breakfast and dessert for every meal, make sure they have soy milk. And since pretty much every dessert is off limits, I will tell them that if they make me a vegan cake, I'll eat every night for dessert.

Lunch and dinner is pretty easy. I jsut get the vegetarian selection with no cheese or some kind of sandwich or pizza (no cheese).

Thanks for all the help. I will call Carnival to request the soy milk and special diet otherwise breakfast would be a problem. She eats bagels but only with soy margerine. Our other bright spot is the sushi served nightly which she can order with veggies. I know how difficult it is to pick the right foods, I shop for her (she is 18 and in her senior year, the cruise is a graduation/moving out celebration for us) and I have to read all the labels and sometimes I still don't get it right. I think I'll have her pack up some nonparishable snacks too. I was ok with it when we booked because vegetarians have so much more choice than vegans but started to worry about it recently. We don't leave until July 5 so I have plenty of time to talk to Carnival. Again, thanks.

ps personally I love meat and food in general and like to tease he that PETA really stands for People for the Eating of Tasty Anmial...I get the look and the eye roll but whatever!

ps personally I love meat and food in general and like to tease he that PETA really stands for People for the Eating of Tasty Anmial...I get the look and the eye roll but whatever!

Same here! We raise beef so the daughter is a pain. At least she still is a egg, cheese and milk lover:)

The salad bar on the Lido deck always seems to have one or two types of beans, so getting a hearty salad at lunch shouldn't be difficult. There is oatmeal for breakfast (no milk needed). Your daughter will be able to hunt around and finds lots of good stuff to eat. The pizza with extra sauce and no cheese can be a delightful snack or meal. She will do fine. She may decide to "cheat" a little on her vetgan diet at times, but she won't have to in order to be well fed.

Many of the vegetarian items are pasta dishes, which may include egg or milk. There was a negative review here a while ago by a woman who was very upset about the inability to have a vegan menu prepared. I'm sure she can find things to eat, but may not have much variety.

and from Carnival's website:

"The following simple diets can be prepared onboard:

• vegetarian
  • salt-free
  • bland
  • low sugar "

While no one in our family is vegan (we have one vegetarian), my DD does have milk and egg allergies. To the best of my knowledge, the pasta on Carnival does not have milk or eggs. Only fresh pasta is made with eggs. You can order vegetables at dinner without butter. Soy milk was readily available in the dining room. We did not request it ahead of time (we brought our own shelf stable milk from home), but the dining room staff offered it to our daughter. I don't think it would be difficult to follow a vegan lifestyle on Carnival.

I am not a vegetarian, but I do try to eat my quota of vegies everyday. On our first cruise (Sensation), I ordered a plate of assorted steamed vegies every night. They were always delivered without butter. After I requested it the first night, our waiter asked me every night after that if I would like an assortment of steamed vegies. He would then deliver a full size dinner plate with 3 or 4 different vegies on it; the assortment changed every night.

it's quite easy to get vegetables without butter....lots of people don't like it that way so they are used to it.

I found that cruise staff is quite accomodating to special dietary requests and actually take pride in making something special as long as you are appreciative about it.

It really shouldn't be hard for your daughter to find plenty of things she likes. I always do. It's a cruise. It's really impossible to go hungry.

Archived