Seashells and such

MemawB.

Hi, first cruise coming up in three weeks and want to know if you can bring seashells and such one finds back onboard ship to take home. I don't mean anything that would be really smelly and have to dry out but just some pretty seashells? Any info will be appreciated

It is illegal to remove any shells, coral etc. from the beaches of the Virgin Islands. That said, I am sure folks do. This is specially true of the National Park beaches of St John where it becomes a Federal Offense. People have been checked and their shells returned to the beaches. "Take nothing and leave only footprints!:)

B.

I love beach combing and in the past have brought home shells on occasion from Hawai'i and Tahiti, but you must be sure there's nothing living inside the shell and they should be thoroughly disinfected when you return home. It is much easier, I've discovered, to just return the shells to the beach and pick up something at a store. The selection is much nicer and wider than anything I've found on the beaches.

Charlie

DO NOT by conch shells in Nassau. The lady in front of me at customs in Miami was caught (who knew?). She had to pay a hugh fine (I would have gone to jail until money was wired I am sure ($5000.00). We saw her hours later at the same hotel we stated at in South Beach. She told us, "...they (customs) were so mean to her", "...they took all her things and just dumped them onto the floor", she had"...only 1 hr to pay the fine or go to jail", and this was the best one, "can you believe it? Even after I paid the fine, I could not keep that $40 shell!". Try to know the local laws before you purchase anything that was alive (the locals try to sell everything but that does not mean we can bring it (legally) back into the country. I know I view what I purchase it a different light after that incident. Oh and the fake watches can get you a fine also. (a young guy at work found that one out)

I seem to remember hearing somewhere, BRIEFLY, that you are not to take any of the shells, coral, etc from the natural environment. I am :oembarrassed to say I did cheat, but only a tiny half oyster shell ( about 1 1/2 across) to bring home for DS. I saw people trying to hide big conch shells and such, don't know their fate. I can understand the policy, because if we all took a shell, there would be nothing left. It would not be pretty, and I'm sure could some how through off the ecosystem. Be sure and ask as you are disembarking if a private island, or ask a tour guide if on a larger island. As far as buying one...I guess get a receipt so you can prove you bought it, and then maybe that person will be the one with the fine???? Take pretty close up pictures from now on, that's what I'll do:D

Guilty! I took some small shells from Cococay (not even a handful), most of them were from the ocean that my husband and I had stepped on. I felt guilty taking sand, so I didn't. I bought craft sand at Joanns when I got home for the project I was doing. I did see some trying to sneak big stuff, but I don't know what happened to them, if they got caught or not.

I took a tour recently in Nassau to Treasure Island through NCL. We did a snorkel for pearls in the oysters and conch shells. They cleaned thrm and sent us back to the ship with both, the Conch shell and the pearl and Oyster shell. Never had a problem at customs in NY.

Archived