Turtle Sandwich

br76jook

Turtle meat is eaten is lots of places, but not necessarily of the same species as what you obtain in the Caymans.

I'm pretty sure these are from dinner menus/prices:

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurant_menu_search.asp?search=turtle&Submit=Go

Paradise is perhaps the closest and always offered a turtle burger at lunch when I have been there.

Hammerheads is in the other direction but might have turtle something at lunch.

Cracked Conch is up by the Turtle Farm so not near the port, but pretty darn near to the source.

seriously.....

have had steaks and soup .... but the best was a (US) Thanksgiving dinner of Turtle Cordon Blu .... now THAT was memorable. The name of the rest' wasn't :p but the meal sure was. It was in GC-CI but I simply don't remember which place....

{For those who don't know - the actual purpose of the turtle farm is the commercial production of food quality turtle. The petting zoo and associated release program is just for added income. Since its inception the turtle farm has struggled because the US won't relax the rules in place banning the import of turtle products despite the special case here..... So eat turle with out concerns for endagered species in CI. Google it - and read the story}

When you get off at the dock, go to the right, following the water edge. After a short walk, you will see the Paradise Cafe. It has outdoor seating right on the water.

We were there two weeks ago and had a turtle burger and turtle soup. Both were very good.

{For those who don't know - the actual purpose of the turtle farm is the commercial production of food quality turtle. The petting zoo and associated release program is just for added income. Since its inception the turtle farm has struggled because the US won't relax the rules in place banning the import of turtle products despite the special case here..... So eat turle with out concerns for endagered species in CI. Google it - and read the story}
Hence the name Turtle Farm Kind of like a pig farm in the US but without the distinctive smell.

...Since its inception the turtle farm has struggled because the US won't relax the rules in place banning the import of turtle products despite the special case here.....

It's a LOT more complicated than that, and international pressure has been applied by other countries, notably Costa Rica from where some of the founding population for the farm was captured.

Despite it being farmed in Cayman, the Green Sea Turtle is still afforded protection under the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) treaty.

Much like Bald Eagles are no where near endangered in Alaska, green sea turtles are not close to endangered in Grand Cayman and the turtle farm gets all of the credit.

The turtle farm has released many thousands of turtles back into the wild; they are not just produced for food, but if they were, there is nothing wrong with that. It is no different than raising cows or chickens or fish.

For an article on the Caymans and turtles:

http://www.turtle.ky/scientific/sea-turtles.htm

I make no judgments on the rights or wrongs of farm raised turtle for food.

Or, I've said my piece by eating it.....

Any other countries aside....what the US says, dominates the market place. Right or wrong ... you can't argue with the dollars. If Costa Rica decides to allow imports.....how does that compare to a potential US allowance into every A&P??????

Yes - the species is still afforded protection ..... or, easier to get on the list than it is to get off?

Don't get 'em in a knot .... I'd rather a grilled cheese anyway .... then all I abused was a lactating animal and a feeling-less plant :eek:

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

I drive by their HQ on the way to work every day .... BIG building on the water front .... VERY expensive real estate .... I'm SURE it was donated....the boat docks too.

There seems to be some confusion about the status of these turtles.

While the United States may have their own regulations under the Endangered Species Act or other law, that only applies to transactions within the country. The US is also bound by international treaty to undertake certain obligations with respect to species listed as threatened or endangered under the CITES convention.

The Cayman Islands argues that since the Cayman Turtle Farm rears turtle commercially, they should be able to sell turtle products from these turtles internationally. They have requested to be able to do so under certain provisions of the CITES treaty, but have been opposed in these efforts.

Some countries have strongly opposed changes in international trafficing of turtle products. Costa Rica notably raises objections, in part because it is believed by them that initial breeding stock for the Turtle Farm was taken illegally many years ago from Costa Rican territory. Other countries have objected citing that it creates a dilemma for enforcement if certain turtle products are legal and others are not.

The rather obvious observation is that species which are widely raised for human consumption are highly unlikely to go extinct. Currently the Cayman Islands is the only place in the world with such a large scale facility for raising turtle for consumption. If other countries were to follow this example, perhaps the wild stock of sea turtle would increase to such a level that special protection under CITES would no longer be needed.

Isn't some black coral trade legal while other isn't? The difference being a tag that indicates the origin?

I'm not sure someone could compete pricewise with illegal turtle versus farm raised. Plus it would be easy enough to set up a registry of recognized sellers of legitimate product.

Archived