Getting from LAX to San Pedro with an infant?

foft

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on how to get from LAX to San Pedro with an infant?

By California law, infants cannot travel without a car seat, and the shuttles don't provide them. So the shuttles are out unless I buy one and bring it with me for the whole trip.

Options I was thinking of:

(1) Taxi from LAX to San Pedro - are car seats required for infants in California? Does anyone have an estimate of how much this would cost?

(2) Renting a mini-van and dropping off luggage and infant (with family, not by himself) and then returning in Long Beach. Then taking a taxi from Long Beach to San Pedro. I hear the taxi ride is only about 10-15 minutes. Any estimate on cost?

Thanks in advance,

FOFT

Here is a link to what the California Highway Patrol has to say about child car seat laws. I would trust this link a lot more than I would trust what someone from out of state has to say on this subject ...

http://babyproducts.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=babyproducts&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chp.ca.gov%2Fhtml%2Fsafetyseats.html

Here is what Super Shuttle has to say on this subject ...

If you are traveling with children we strongly recommend the use of child safety seats. If federal, state or local laws require your child(ren) to be secured in a child safety seat, please bring one. If a child seat is required and not provided by you, we may not be able to provide service.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I took a cruise to San Pedro last year with out twin daughters who were 12 months at the time. We used Xpress shuttle to get from our home (approximately an hour away) to San Pedro and back. I specifically asked about the carseat issue and was told by the company that we did not need carseats since they were a shuttle service. We have used this company several times for our travels with our girls over the past year and a half and have never had any problems without carseats. Their website is xpressshuttle.com.

I assume you are flying in to LAX. How old is your infant? Did you buy a seat for your child on the flight? The best thing we ever did was buy a seat for our DD when we traveled with her as an infant. Then she was already in her car seat/carrier, we didn't have to lap hold her for hours, she was comfortable and happy in her familiar seat. Then when we got to our destination she was ready to pop in a car and go. It was also handy to have on the cruise as she could be more upright and sit outside with me, be gently rocked for naps, etc. And when they are under a year old they fly for half price.

It seems like a short ride from LAX to the port, but God forbid you should be in an accident. You know how horrible it would be! Rent a car, pay for the carseat with the rental and know you did everything you could to protect your child!!!!!

Happy Sails!

Archived