Snorkeling in Labadee (? re: vests)

tofubeast

• 4 weeks later...

I went snorkeling there a few years ago and I'm pretty sure they charged for the vest. We also brought our own equipment so I was disappointed with that charge, but the vests are actually a good thing I discovered.

I think I tried, but no go. It is a safety issue. The lifeguard explained that since you are looking down into the water, you could get farther out than you expected and get into trouble. As you can imagine, since they have no clue who can really swim and handle themselves in the water and who can't, they have to opt for safety for all.

The vests, however, are extremely light. They are not "life jackets" like you have on a small boat -- they won't hold you up. They are just enough to give some extra support. I was actually really glad for them once I got over the frustration of having to get one -- I was able to snorkle much longer and farther out simply because of that little extra flotation.

Are the required vests actual snorkeling vests? I.E... Do they have an oral inflation device that allows you to fill it with air while you are at the surface and a dump valve to release the air so you can submerge? If not, does anyone know if they will allow you to use the sort of vest I'm talking about or would they force you to use one of their life jackets? Thanks!

Since writing this thread, I am now back from my cruise. I did have to rent vests, but it was no big deal. They are true snorkeling vests that let you inflate or deflate as you wish.

• 4 weeks later...

We love to snorkel, but do not have our own gear. Is it available for rent at Labadee? If so, where? Where would be the best place to snorkel so that you can see a lot of fish and where the water is fairly shallow?

Since writing this thread, I am now back from my cruise. I did have to rent vests, but it was no big deal. They are true snorkeling vests that let you inflate or deflate as you wish.

How was the snorkeling at Labadee? We have heard some mixed reviews.

How was the snorkeling at Labadee? We have heard some mixed reviews.

Well, since it was the first day I had ever snorkeled in my life, I thought it was pretty good. However, after snorkeling Grand Cayman and Chankanaab in Cozumel 2 & 3 days later, in reality, it's very mediocre at best. (then again, it's all relative, isn't it? even mediocre beats the heck out of anything we here in Houston ;) ) But, again, since it was my first day ever, it was a great day to get the hang and feel of snorkeling.

For the rest of our group that didn't bother to try snorkeling at Labadee, they screwed up big time! Because, when we got to our snorkel trip with Capt. Marvin in Grand Cayman, they had to spend most of their time doing the learning curve while I was off enjoying the snorkeling spots. (I also practiced in the ship's pool with my mask and snorkel to get the hang of it before Labadee. My group thought I was a little weird doing that. But, they all definitely agreed it paid off in the long run at GC and Cozumel. I was able to enjoy our days in Grand Cayman and Cozumel and lot more than they did because I wasn't still learning how to snorkel.)

So, for a first timer's learning experience. Labadee was just OK. It served it's purpose. I'm just glad it was the first stop on our cruise as opposed to the last stop. If we had done it AFTER Grand Cayman and Cozumel, the snorkeling would have been extremely disappointing. However, I still recommend doing it there. A so-so day of snorkeling in the Caribbean still beats the #@!! out of working in Houston, ya know? ;)

Brad

ps...I can't believe they make you RENT vests now. If they are going to force you to wear them, then they should provide them. That's how it was 3 years ago for us.

Archived