snorkel equipment

soon to cruise

I work in a dental office so I just adjust mine there. I would say do not get a childs size (unless of course your the size of a child) I would take the mouth piece and cut very very small lines off the top and bottom of the piece and repeat until there is a good fit. You want to be able to bite on the little bite places but the surrounding area is where you want to trim very very very small amounts off. I trim some off the piece where my bottom lips is because thats where it rubs my gums. If your friendly with your dentist ask him to help. Myself and both doctors trim ours at the office.

I took information from the topics discussions on this board and bought the Body Glove dry storkel and mask combo at Sports Authority on sale for $60 about a month ago. We received fins for that price as well, part of the combo. I couldn't be more happy. What a great move. We have been practicing at our community pool twice per week and love it.

We have two dive shops here. The first was no help at all, the second was so expensive it would have cost me way over $100 to buy something.

The young kids at sports authority had no more idea about equiptment that the man in the moon. I had learned on here what questions to ask. They did not have what I wanted in my size for a mask for fins. But they did at the one across town. Their night manager was a woman in her 50's and was a diver and snorkeled and also cruised. She was the best help of all.

For those of you giving out info, keep it up. For those of you taking the advice make sure to ask questions about what you learn when buying.

Dive shops are expensive because most are really in business because they love SCUBA, and want others to love it too... not because they are trying to make a bunch of money on the backs of it's customers.

There is no way they can compete with the likes of Costco and Sams Club.

I know that folks here are only interested in snorkeling, so I recommended Sam's. Not many folks go to a SCUBA store for snorkelling equipment... unless the store is located in Hawaii or the like.

If you dive, please patronize a SCUBA store.

Everyone have fun snorkeling... :)

Dive shops are expensive because most are really in business because they love SCUBA, and want others to love it too... not because they are trying to make a bunch of money on the backs of it's customers.

I know that folks here are only interested in snorkeling, so I recommended Sam's. Not many folks go to a SCUBA store for snorkelling equipment... unless the store is located in Hawaii or the like.

I love diving also but dh is an idiot in the water. He is still learning to snorkel and swim more than a doggy paddle. I spend the whole time looking for him and making sure he doesn't panic when he sees a fish or gets caught in a current. He is hooked on snorkeling though and he found out he loves the ocean. He had never even put a foot in the ocean till two years ago. He also made me spell snorkel wrong in my previous post.:eek: I guess that is what I get for asking him how to spell a word in the middle of studying for finals.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a my Sealynx equipment from a dive shop 10 or 15 years ago. I paid about $60 or $70 for the mask and snorkle which was a lot of money back then but I never have to be concerned about it leaking or the mouth piece getting chewed up, the set is really well made.

You really need to check around. I bought a more expensive set at Sports authority because it was the same set a dive shop was going to sell me, at about the same price. However the clerk at the dive shop did not want to help me because she was more interested in diving rather thatn snorkeling. She was of no assistance to me at all. I tried another dive shop and they were helpful but did not carry what I was looking for because of information I got on this board. But what do you expect in Tucson.

The woman at sports authority was a diver and snorkler, She help fit the mask was knowlegable about all the gear and her information matched what we learned on this board.

• 1 month later...

I would like to start of and thank you so very much. :D You saved us a ton of money and the gear is great. We just purchased 3 sets and tried them out in the pool. This is a lot easier than I thought. My 10 year old now wants me to take him down to the beach and try it out.

They are on sales now reg $29.99 with 25% off. (Sports Authority)

Again thank you so much.

Linda

Just want to be sure that gem isn't overlooked - make sure your gear is comfortable and you are comfortable with your gear before you go on your cruise. You don't want to have sore gums and raw heels diminishing your vacation.

My husband is a diver and he buys most of his stuff through the local dive shop because they are experts, back up what they sell and frankly, because giving them his business means that there is someone on island to teach scuba, arrange trips etc. I'm sorry to hear other dive shops weren't more helpful to snorkelers. If you get bitten by the dive bug (okay, I'm going to have to find out for myself one day if it's true that "all the good stuff is on the bottom") then give your local dive shop your business, but for a snorkel set, I think you'll be happy with the recommended Body Glove equipment.

Also (not that you asked and maybe you already know this) -- but make sure everybody puts on a lot of waterproof sunscreen and slather up your "bum" before you put on your swimwear (so that if your suit bottom rides up a bit your actual bottom won't get french fried)! :eek:

Don't neglect the backs of your calves, thighs, neck, shoulders and back, because all those parts are going to be sunny-side up! Take a long-sleeved shirt so you can cover up too.

Enjoy!

Archived