Ecstasy-Only Thread! Ask questions and post info. here!

pbeachbum

I can't answer all of your questions but can answer some. I thought the water tasted good on the Ecstasy. Have no idea if it was filtered or not - I just know it tasted good.

About the Maitre'd - you will be given an envelope by your room steward before the last night's dinner and you can put your tip in it and hand it to him when you enter or leave the dining room.

I have read many different opinions about phone cards on the boards. We don't give phone cards but you could if you wanted to.

There will be a stack of extra Capers at the purser's desk so all of you can have a copy each day. I always get an extra for my cruise scrapbook.

Alcoholic drinks and soft drinks are not free. They are offered in the dining room for a price. There is hot water available at no charge by the coffee and hot chocolate machines on the Lido Deck.

We always bring our own insulated cups. Great for hot or cold drinks.

No disk available for all photos taken. They do have some specials. Usually, the first night they have a special on the boarding photo and other specials as the cruise progresses. Usually the special is the picture and a nice frame and sometimes they throw in a picture of the Ecstasy. That's about all.

The laundry rooms have ironing boards and irons.

Sorry I can't help with the other questions. We don't bring food on board so don't know about your food question.

Maybe someone else can help with the other questions.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday cruise!!! Travelgirl

So there's a tip envelope delivered for the Maitre d' per previous answer.

Will envelopes appear for others as well, and if so, who. I thought steward, server and assistant were handled by charging to the Sail&Sign card and that I could adjust the amount up as needed. Do I need cash for all tips or just to additional personnel not included in the standard $10?

Still wondering about cooler in room and if anyone has brought food with them. Does anyone decide that their dining room meal was so wonderful that they'd rather finish it later out of a to-go box (after a night of dancing) rather than let it go to waste? I especially like to do this with dessert. (Even more so since pastries are an additional fee at the coffee shop...) Is there a standard debarkation schedule of which areas go at which times? I'm trying to determine whether or not we should "self assist."

Thanks for all your help, tips, and excitement about Ecstasy cruising! -Linda.

So there's a tip envelope delivered for the Maitre d' per previous answer.

Will envelopes appear for others as well, and if so, who. I thought steward, server and assistant were handled by charging to the Sail&Sign card and that I could adjust the amount up as needed. Do I need cash for all tips or just to additional personnel not included in the standard $10?

Still wondering about cooler in room and if anyone has brought food with them. Does anyone decide that their dining room meal was so wonderful that they'd rather finish it later out of a to-go box (after a night of dancing) rather than let it go to waste? I especially like to do this with dessert. (Even more so since pastries are an additional fee at the coffee shop...) Is there a standard debarkation schedule of which areas go at which times? I'm trying to determine whether or not we should "self assist."

Thanks for all your help, tips, and excitement about Ecstasy cruising! -Linda.

Envelope is for Matre'd only. Everyone else is part of the S&S auto tip. If you would like to give others something (like that great bar maid) you can do so either throughout the cruise or at the end by just placing it on their tray or in their hand - with a thank you.

As far as food - I take pre-packed snacks for off the ship (as things must be sealed to take it off the ship). Items like cheese crackers and beef jerky - just to tide us over. I have never asked to have my left-overs wrapped - but I guess you could - BUT - with so many other foos selections we really don't need to. There is ALWAYS pizza (yum). I have asked to take my dessert and they will fix it for you so you can take it back. I usually take one of those disposable ziploc containers to put my chocolate covered strawberried that I order before the cruise. You could use something like that to keep your dessert fresh until you are ready to eat.

It is my understanding that they recently changed the debark procedure - so someone else might be able to help. If you have to get off the ship early then self-assist.

Last June, I believe the debarkation process was by luggage tag color; however, we did the self assist and were off the ship by 8 am. We have done self assist the past three times we have cruised. It is much faster and since we have to drive home, we like to get an early start. I understand that they usually have everyone off the ship between 10 and 11 am.

One of our tablemates took her and her son's dessert back to the room after dinner. Our waiter had it packaged up for her.

You can get your room steward to unlock your fridge for you. It will have some items already in it that they will charge you for if you use them, but there is room to put other things, too.

Have a great cruise!!! Travelgirl

Don't need to be off the ship early - actually hoping for later. One of the husbands is picking us up, but has to get the kids off to school then drive 1.5 hours to Galveston, so the earliest we would be picked up is 9 - hoping to get off ship then. We can make other arrangements if we must... Glad to know I can have dessert wrapped. I eat less if I know I don't have to eat it all now to enjoy it. Guess I'm bringing my own soft cooler for champagne and Tware bowl for dessert. Will finish reading rest of thread for additional ideas :) -Linda.

About the food being brought on board, it is permitted in commercially sealed and labeled original containers only. IF perishible food is for a sensitivity/allergy such as my wanting to bring goat milk, it can be stored with room service who will bring it when I need it. (I'd tip for this, of course. Am actually thinking I'll stick with the soy milk they provide for cereal/drinking and just go black on the coffee where soy milk doesn't do it for me. My fresh goat milk from a farm would not be acceptible even if I stored it myself. I'd argue since it is sealed and labeled, but there's no company logo and it clearly states unpasteurized which is probably against some cruise health code - so I'm not willing to fight this battle...)

Drinking water on board is filtered at the drink machine and much nicer than what comes out of a tap at home, per the Carnival rep...

Self-assist debarkation is not required to exit first - can exit ship any time during debarkation. I'm sure you've got to be off before or during the last group called, but don't have to go early unless you want to.

Hope this info helps others.

I can't wait for September 27! Happy Cruising, Linda.

I've read MOST of this thread but may have missed this being posted.

On the 5 night cruise do they do any type of theme night - like Mardi Gras? How about a pub crawl?

Don't remember any kind of theme night, but that does not mean they do some from time to time, depending on the time of year. Not really sure what a "pub crawl" is either, although it does bring some images to mind.

Are the doors metal so that you can decorate your stateroom with magnets? What, if any, door or room decorations can you do yourself? I don't know what is allowed or doable on my Bday cruise. So far I've bought a Bday table decoration for the desk and something small to hang from doorknob or what? I know I can buy their decorations but I'd rather do it myself if possible...

I'm trying to remember but I don't think the doors are metal. We've seen many different kinds of decorations from simple signs to lots of pictures, ribbons, etc. etc. You can make it as simple or fancy as you want. One door was celebrating someone's 80th birthday and they had old photographs as well as new ones and lots of streamers. It was very clever. Most of the signs were celebrating either an anniversary or birthday or honeymoon. Somewhere on CC there is a CruiseCritic door sign. I may have it downloaded but not sure. Anyway, you can do just about anything you want. Travelgirl

If the doors aren't metal (a search on door decorations indicated that most doors in the carnival line are not magnetic) then I wonder what they are? I know that handy-tack which we used extensively in college will grease stain painted housewalls and some tape leaves sticky residue behind. So are the doors non-porous so that I can use tape and/or handy tack with easy self clean-up?

I used scotch tape to put up our decorations. I was concerned about tape residue, but did not have any problems with the tape. Our decoration stayed up the entire cruise. Only 5 days, wish it could have been longer. I don't think the door was metal. Like someone said, the edge was the only metal on our door as I recall. We were on the Upper deck.

I'm thinking of going on the Ecstasy for a 5 day cruise starting 1/12/08 for my 2nd cruise, but given the time of year, how likely is it that there be enough passengers to keep the trip from being cancelled?

I know this post is from a while ago, but we just got a 1/12/08 roll call started.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11703834

Can only speak to the Cat 12s:

the EDGES of the doors are metal and will hold a magnet. I decorated the EDGES of the door...festive!

We were on the Empress deck, and it was kind of funny. We always bring our little Cruise Critic sign & the DW always does another little sign for each day of the cruise that she will have a different picture for each day.

I went to put one of them on the door & PLOP it fell straight to the floor. I had this look on my face like "What the heck?"

Finally figured out that yes the wall next to the door is magnetic. So all was well.:)

We used some 3M poster stick things that when you are ready to take off, you pull from the top and it all comes off in one piece. No stain no residue. It is silicone.

If the doors aren't metal (a search on door decorations indicated that most doors in the carnival line are not magnetic) then I wonder what they are? I know that handy-tack which we used extensively in college will grease stain painted housewalls and some tape leaves sticky residue behind. So are the doors non-porous so that I can use tape and/or handy tack with easy self clean-up?

Archived