All Things Mariner Of The Seas

They did two weeks ago. Be aware that they will make you wait in line to go down the elevator in the terminal if you have anything bigger than a small wheeled carry-on type suitcase. As we were traveling through the terminal as early get off Diamond members, we zipped past a huge line of "self-debarkers" stuck waiting for the single, slow hydraulic elevator.

My recommendation is just get an early-off color tag and let them handle the luggage.

I have several cruises under my belt with both RCI and Carnival. No comparision...RC ROCKS!! (no stabilizer pun intended).

My DH has never been to the Eastern Car. and I want to give him the biggest "bang for the buck" as far as excursions go. Even though we're in our 40's we still like to party and have fun, but we don't want to get on one of those pirate ships for several hours and eat up the who excursion watching a bunch of drunk fools. We also like to shop. But mostly we like to take guided tours where the locals can take us off the beaten path and see a lot of things and maybe try so local cuisine.

We're taking the Mariner out on 31AUG08. I would greatly appreciate any comments/suggestions as far as the CD on board, the shows, suggested excursions, any good on-board sales, etc. We have a balcony room #7564. How is this level compared to the ones above/below?

Thanks for the input.;)

Seakeo,

I highly recommend the Eco Hike on St. John offered through RCCL. I often go with non-RCCL excursions, but the Eco Hike is worth it. You are ferried over to St. John, met a local guide, walked through a federal park/forest and learned about the history of the island, etc. It is really more of a walk than a hike -- it is not strenuous. On your walk you arrive at Honeymoon Beach, which is very secluded. You can swim there for a little while before finishing the "hike" through an old sugar mill. I was skeptical after reading the description on RCCL, but my friend talked me into it. I have done it twice now and it is by far my favorite excursion on the eastern route.

Whew!!! I finally got through this entire thread. I have been taking lots of notes. Thanks for the advice and tips. Very useful.

I have read that there is an abbreviated menu at Portofinos during the Mystery Dinner. Does anyone know what is on the menu? I am taking my DS to dinner that night as a mother/son date. DH and younger DS will be at Johnny Rockets. Just wanted to get an idea of what to expect. Due to our budget, DH and I won't be able to go back to Portofinos during a regular night.

Thanks for the response to this question.

My Wife will be on the Mariner this summer, 2nd time. The first trip we heard something about a "Walking" club/group that you can sign up for, get together every morning and walk a set distance?

Anyone have any correct info on what this is, and where/when do you sign up for it would be appreciated.

I have several cruises under my belt with both RCI and Carnival. No comparision...RC ROCKS!! (no stabilizer pun intended).

My DH has never been to the Eastern Car. and I want to give him the biggest "bang for the buck" as far as excursions go. Even though we're in our 40's we still like to party and have fun, but we don't want to get on one of those pirate ships for several hours and eat up the who excursion watching a bunch of drunk fools. We also like to shop. But mostly we like to take guided tours where the locals can take us off the beaten path and see a lot of things and maybe try so local cuisine.

We're taking the Mariner out on 31AUG08. I would greatly appreciate any comments/suggestions as far as the CD on board, the shows, suggested excursions, any good on-board sales, etc. We have a balcony room #7564. How is this level compared to the ones above/below?

Thanks for the input.;)

[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=671173][/url]

Please come and join our roll call, there are 60 of us signed up so far! My husband and I are planning on doing something in St Thomas (?) then stopping at the Love Shack and in St Maarten , we're going to Maho Beach and then Restaurant row for a delicious, home cooked BBQ. I'll be looking for you!!:) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=671173

My Wife will be on the Mariner this summer, 2nd time. The first trip we heard something about a "Walking" club/group that you can sign up for, get together every morning and walk a set distance?

Anyone have any correct info on what this is, and where/when do you sign up for it would be appreciated.

Hey there!! I don't know specifically about Mariner but I have done this many times on other ships, its normally at 8, when you check in on the top deck, (sometimes you'll get a give a way) someone from the spa will cheer you on, when you walk your first mile (about 20 minutes) ... (If they are doing vitality points) , they;ll give you your point - formerly ship shape dollars - and you can keep walking!! then lets go eat:D

Sailed the Mariner in April....best time of my life! I plan to sail the Mariner again once she begins her run of the Mexican Riviera. We loved the class in general though, so we're doing the Adventure out of San Juan in April 09'!

Sailed the Mariner in April....best time of my life! I plan to sail the Mariner again once she begins her run of the Mexican Riviera. We loved the class in general though, so we're doing the Adventure out of San Juan in April 09'!

We were on the Mariner in May and it was one of the best vacations that I ever have taken. All the crew and officers were very friendly and we want to go on her again when she moves to the west coast. But before that we are going to take the Liberty in October. Cannot wait!!

I just got off the 5/25 sailing of the Mariner and can definitely answer this question. "Walk a Mile" begins each day at 8:30 AM - you go to the Sky Bar on Deck 12 and there is a staff member there who gives you a "Ship Shape Dollar" before you begin your walk - the track is clearly marked and five times around is one mile.

If you really want to stay in shape and avoid a major weight gain while crusing, the Ship Shape Center is awesome. Our morning routine was the Early Morning Stretch at 7:30 AM - a half hour stretch class that targeted every muscle in your body and afterwards, made you feel fantastic - Bradley from the Ship Shape center was amazing - don't miss his stretch class. Then we stayed for the next class which changed a little each day - sometimes aerobics, shape and tone, etc. Then we walked a mile at 8:30 AM. Then we headed straight to the Windjammer for breakfast. We are in our 50's, so anyone can do it. It truly made a difference in our cruise - we had a great time on the Mariner.

I just got off the 5/25 sailing of the Mariner and can definitely answer this question. "Walk a Mile" begins each day at 8:30 AM - you go to the Sky Bar on Deck 12 and there is a staff member there who gives you a "Ship Shape Dollar" before you begin your walk - the track is clearly marked and five times around is one mile.

If you really want to stay in shape and avoid a major weight gain while crusing, the Ship Shape Center is awesome. Our morning routine was the Early Morning Stretch at 7:30 AM - a half hour stretch class that targeted every muscle in your body and afterwards, made you feel fantastic - Bradley from the Ship Shape center was amazing - don't miss his stretch class. Then we stayed for the next class which changed a little each day - sometimes aerobics, shape and tone, etc. Then we walked a mile at 8:30 AM. Then we headed straight to the Windjammer for breakfast. We are in our 50's, so anyone can do it. It truly made a difference in our cruise - we had a great time on the Mariner.

Thanks! We are in our 50's also, and usually do things on our own, but if we can get into a few structured programs, so much the better.

I guess what we need to do is head for the Spa on the first day and get all the info on classes for the week.

Is there a cost to attend classes at the Spa?

B-52 - We attended the classes at the Ship Shape Center and there is no charge for the Early Morning Stretch or the class that follows daily (Aerobics, shape & Tone, etc). They offer Yoga, Pilates and some others throughout the week that have a $10 fee per class. We did the free ones in the AM and enjoyed them. If you like to do things on your own, the facility is wonderful with lots of options. I would highly recommend the Early Morning Stretch each day - made us feel like we were in our 20's again!!!!

jdbmga - No fee for the stretch class.

As a teen on Mariner, I actually lost 2 lbs while on my last voyage on her (Summer 2007). I guess I was burning calories while dancing the night away in fuel, swimming in the pools, playing minigolf, climbing the rockwall, and playing basketball!

During our March 2008 cruise we observed a VERY LARGE number of folks taking their early morning (around 7am) walk around the track!

The next time we travel RCL we will be out there, too.

We really like that fact the RCL facilitates healthy activities.:)

Hump Room is any of the balcony rooms in the area of the ship in the middle where the "bulge" is. And yes they are very good places to be.

Been on 2 trips on Mariner, same room, middle of the bulge #6622

mps

Archived