Beginner's scuba?

beachbum6264

We too are curious on Discover Scuba tours. I've never done scuba and want to get my feet wet so to speak to see if I do want to become certified.

I here alot of dive shops have these type of classes however I don't know which one in GC to use.

Any Suggestions??

Does anyone know the minimum age??

Misty

For snuba there is no minimum age (unless it is set by the cruiseline), but I would be reluctant to have a child under 8 do it, unless you are very certain that the child won't have any issues. http://www.snuba.com

BTW, I recommend snuba over just snorkeling by a country mile.

Anyone try this? How was it? Worth the money? Good site, lots of fish, stuff to see? Want to get my dh to try it...thanks!

Did you want recommendations for a dive operator? I liked neptunesdivers when I was there in March. They do offer discover scuba. There are other operators that offer it, but I don't have personal experience with them so can only offer their names, but not a personal recommendation. Both abanks diving and Eden Rock divers offer discover scuba and they are both a short walk (couple of blocks) to the right of the the tender docks.

Is it worth it? Yes

Sites can vary, but you will see way more than if you just snorkel.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question...Is it manditory that i tip 20% at these dive excursions? they charge 100.00 for a lesson and dive per person and then want 20% more for a tip? I am definitly not a cheap skate but to ask for 20 dollars more per person for a tip is a bit much for me. Maybe 20.00 altogether. Do I tip them with payment or wait till the end?

I have a question...Is it manditory that i tip 20% at these dive excursions? they charge 100.00 for a lesson and dive per person and then want 20% more for a tip? I am definitly not a cheap skate but to ask for 20 dollars more per person for a tip is a bit much for me. Maybe 20.00 altogether. Do I tip them with payment or wait till the end?

I can't help but wonder where you got the information that you hed to tip at all let alone 20%.

The answer is: NO you do not have to tip. That is completely voluntary. If you have a great time and feel that the instructor/guide have provided excellent service, then I'd probably tip in the range of $5 to $10.

when I went to the abanks dive site and inquired about the dive he wrote me and told me there is a 20% gratuity they automatically add on. I told them I was going to pay cash when I got there and I figured I would decide how much of a tip I would leave after the kids did the dive. It seems this cruise may be paid for but the tips they expect for every little thing is going to kill me:eek: .I mean Im a good tipper but these people ought to pay their help a little better and not expect us to pay their wages just because we can afford to travel.

Then I think I would look to another dive operator rather than have to pay a "Mandatory" tip. Also, $100 for a discover scuba seems a little high to me, even in Grand Cayman and to add an automatic tip of $20 on top of that is just unreasonable, IMHO.

Divecayman.ky has a long listing of most of the dive operators on the island, with web links. You should be able to find someone that is more reasonable.

Don Foster's price for a discover scuba shore dive is only $75, for the boat discover scuba it is $100. They are also located in Georgetown, not far from the tender docks.

Archived