Poll: beating the dress code's dead horse

etrainer1

Remember the Bats!:D

Hey Chief,

Would those be sea bats? What time do we pass the mail buoy?

To at least try to answer the original question (remember that? ;) ), the basic answer is, I'm a guy. I don't really care, just tell me what I'm supposed to wear, when (what's the uniform of the day?).

Whatever the dress code is, guys don't really care what it is, they just want to be right. When a woman sees another one wearing the same dress, they seem upset. When guys see another guy wearing the same thing, our thought process is "Hey, O.K! Got it right, I'm wearing what the other guys are!"

Bottom line -- I really don't mind wearing a tux or sport coat or whatever. Just please tell me upfront what you expect, so I know what to pack.

For non-USN types, senior enlisted people (chief petty officers) are known as "goats" and where they berth on Navy ships is called the "goat locker." A mustang is someone who was an enlisted person and then became an officer. Not all of them were chiefs before they became officers. I was. Chief 1982, permanent Senior Chief/temporary Ensign 1986, permanent Master Chief/temporary LT junior grade 1988; permanent officer(LT) 1990.

"You can take the goat out of the locker, but you can't the goat out of the goat."

Dave, the Retired Mustang

Archived