Upgrades

Shawns6t6gto

We just came back earlier this month from a 14 day on the Sea Princess. This was only our 2nd cruise with Princess.

We booked thru a TA for an Inside Guarantee (lowest category - N)

(That's front of the ship lowest deck, we were expecting to assist the captain each morning to lower the anchor.:D )

Well, when we arrived at the port, we had to give up our luggage on the outside to the porters even though we couldn't write down on our luggage tags which cabin they should go to. The porter tried checking his manifest but there was still no cabin# next to our names.

We were finally got our cabin at check-in - C702. We still didn't know where this was other than we were no longer on the bottom deck.

Well, it turned out to be a CC category (Deluxe Oceanview). Larger than regular unobstructed Outside cabins. Needless to say, we freaked.:eek:

16 category upgrade!? - no possible way. There had to be a mistake.

The names outside the door had other people's names so I told my wife - don't unpack the carry-on just yet. We explored the ship, came back, and there were other people's luggage in front of the cabin.

Finally - gig was up! We must have been assigned the wrong cabin. Down we go to the Pursers Desk. Asked for reverification. Was told the same thing - C702 was our cabin.

At that point I don't think there was way the cruise could have turned bad - even if the Capt skipped every port.:rolleyes:

So everyone - it does still happen. I can only surmise that the original occupants were also upgraded. But as to why they would take a Cat.N customer to the CC Cat. cabin to ????? (I must have done a hella lotta good in a former life!:D

We haven't booked yet for a cruise in December. I will be booking a balcony and be happy with it, but what are my best chances for an upgrade with this scenario....the lowest balcony is gty only right now, all other balcony cats are only an additional $10/pp, so do I book the highest cat in balcony or just any balcony? Like I said, I will book a cabin I am happy with, I always do, but I was touched once by the fairy (on a Disney - inside to balcony...now I'm hooked!) and am always looking for that happy little rush when the TA calls!

So, any thoughts..........?

(We will be sailing on the Dawn out of San Diego, if that makes a diff)

There are at least three ways to see how full your ship is:

1. Call your Travel Agent and ask!
  2. Go to the Princess Web Site, find your Cruise under "Find and Compare Cruises, then go through each category to see which ones are wait listed, GTY only, etc.
  3. Call Princess and ask (they may tell you something; probably less info then you'd get from your TA).

I'm using method #2 to check our cruise coming up in June. We're in a an AA Mini, and we're hoping for an upgrade to a full suite. There are still a few minis available, but there are more full suites available. So, there is still a chance. We're hoping for something really good to happen about 30 days or less prior to our cruise!:)

This subject always make me mad. Even though the above poster looks to see if there are vacant cabins doesn't mean they are available for you (certainly as you didn't pay for it). There are many reasons why cabins are vacant, sometimes they are being refurbished, sometimes we have VIP people from head office, new captain onboard or other company related reasons, and sometimes they are reserved for instances when people are flooded out or other real reasons that people should get upgraded. And the last thing the front office needs is some smart ass telling us that even though we have the 'ship is full' sign up you 'know' otherwise!

Some people expect upgrades, or that's the way they treat the subject when they approach us. I have had people come to me and say "My TA told me that I can have an upgrade!" Like their TA has any sway onboard the ship. I know that upgrades do happen, although if I had it my way they wouldn't (unless you had problems in your original cabin).

I have been working embarkation and people have approached me (still in the terminal) and the first thing they have said even before they have their keys is, "I was told by xxxxxx that I can get an upgrade?" I always say "You haven't even seen your cabin yet?"

Here is my advise to anyone wanting an upgrade, call your TA and PAY FOR IT! But seeing as you didn't pay for it don't behave like you own the ship when you ask, and more importantly don't expect one.

Getting an upgrade is as unusual as being bumped to first class on a plane.

Here is my advise to anyone wanting an upgrade, call your TA and PAY FOR IT!

Here Here, way to put it into words. Some of the best advice and comparisons I have seen in quite awhile. :)

Hello Nomars_girl from nomarfan5 in western MA!! I'm so thrilled to know I'm not the only Boston fan who still supports Nomar! :D :D

Sorry to go offtopic on this thread but I couldn't resist!

I was on the CB and a lot of people I meet while playing bridge had been called and told the ship was way oversold and they were trying to get volunteers to go 2 months later with a future credit.

Its a very popular ship which sails full Im willing to bet most of the time. Its rare these days that ships dont sail full. The CB is especially popular. I loved that ship myself.

We haven't booked yet for a cruise in December. I will be booking a balcony and be happy with it, but what are my best chances for an upgrade with this scenario....the lowest balcony is gty only right now, all other balcony cats are only an additional $10/pp, so do I book the highest cat in balcony or just any balcony? Like I said, I will book a cabin I am happy with, I always do, but I was touched once by the fairy (on a Disney - inside to balcony...now I'm hooked!) and am always looking for that happy little rush when the TA calls!

So, any thoughts..........?

(We will be sailing on the Dawn out of San Diego, if that makes a diff)

Id say your best chance for an upgrade is to book the guarantee, but be prepared to accept whatever balcony they give you. If you dont care where the balcony is, then go for the guarantee. If you book a specific cabin then you have almost no chance of being upgraded.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion and feelings. I don't find the name calling to be appropriate, though.

Since upgrades do happen to people who don't pay for them :eek: , then there will always be those of us who hope for (not expect) an upgrade.

This subject always make me mad. Even though the above poster looks to see if there are vacant cabins doesn't mean they are available for you (certainly as you didn't pay for it). There are many reasons why cabins are vacant, sometimes they are being refurbished, sometimes we have VIP people from head office, new captain onboard or other company related reasons, and sometimes they are reserved for instances when people are flooded out or other real reasons that people should get upgraded. And the last thing the front office needs is some smart ass telling us that even though we have the 'ship is full' sign up you 'know' otherwise!

Some people expect upgrades, or that's the way they treat the subject when they approach us. I have had people come to me and say "My TA told me that I can have an upgrade!" Like their TA has any sway onboard the ship. I know that upgrades do happen, although if I had it my way they wouldn't (unless you had problems in your original cabin).

I have been working embarkation and people have approached me (still in the terminal) and the first thing they have said even before they have their keys is, "I was told by xxxxxx that I can get an upgrade?" I always say "You haven't even seen your cabin yet?"

Here is my advise to anyone wanting an upgrade, call your TA and PAY FOR IT! But seeing as you didn't pay for it don't behave like you own the ship when you ask, and more importantly don't expect one.

We've had over 20 cruises and have been upgraded twice. Reading your message makes me want to send a letter of apology to Holland America and Carnival.

Yes and no.

Sometimes when the UpGrade Fairy and Wizard visit they try to do an UpSell too. Then in that scenario yes payment is done to be in that cabin cat...etc.. sometimes only a little bit sometimes a lot.. if you say no they may come back later with a lower cost offer for the same cabin and cat..:eek:

Sometimes they give you it for no reason at all... sometimes if the ship is not full they provide the nicer rooms and cats..:cool:

I'm still new to the upgrade dream, so when the upgrade fairy does visit, do you have to pay for the upgrade? :confused:

I'm still new to the upgrade dream, so when the upgrade fairy does visit, do you have to pay for the upgrade? :confused:

Princess upgrades at no additional charge. I think mostly it is done to make cabins available in lower categories that will sell more easily with just a short time remaining until the cruise departs. Other times, they just have to balance all the bookings. If a lower category gets oversold and there is space in more expensive cabins, they'll start moving people. If you get a major upgrade from one basic cabin configuration to the next, it's pretty much just a matter of good luck.

I was in an assigned AA minisuite for our upcoming Golden Princess cruise. Yesterday I received an Email from Princess saying I was upgraded to a Penthouse Suite. I was very surprised. We are only a little over a week away from our sail date.

The one time we were upgraded we did'nt find out until check in. We also were in a AA minisuite and upgraded to a penthouse suite. The downside was our suitcases went to our original room ansd we did not get them until 3am. So I have learned to not only carry on clothes for dinner but also PJS and some toiletries. I thought we were upgraded because I had just been on princess 4mths before but met another couple who got the same upgrade who had never been on princess. We then met another couple on there tenth Princess cruise who had never been upgraded.So much for loyalty. The only time I did a Quaranty balcony I ended up with a handicap room. Felt Quilty taking it and told them on check in to switch us if anyone needed it. Turned out to be agodsend for my 80yo mom and her bad hip.(I would think if you needed a handicapped room you would book early) When cruising with my DH and DD I book early esp with Princess they have alot of balconies but not many that sleep more then 2. We are the crown in Aug and it is sold out or almost . Wanted an aft suite and took a premium the owners suites were gone so I kknew we would not be upgraded to them and did'nt want to go to the penthouse a little bigger but smaller balcony. As many posters have said if your picky don't take a quarantee. Could end up with the cabin nobody wanted or could get lucky. Also if you did the research and found a location you love don't take an upgrade or make sure they will notify you and give you a choice. (Don't know how often they do that ) Like I said my only upgrade was a surprise at check in. I was lucky it was a great upgrade! I do think it was because we were in a AA. When we knocked on the door of our original room they told us they they had booked an Ac and they also found out at checkin. This cruise was not sold out as of 3 weeks before sailing and had several unsold suites at that time.They would rather upgrade if they can sell their minisuites and sell out their ship. Our next trip the good statrooms seemed to be gone by the end of Feb for an Aug sailing. Not as much chance for a good upgdade unless there is alot of cancelations. Has any one found it to be different? Sorry so long winded, once you get me started talking about cruising I cant stop! These boards are such aGreat source of info! Who knew you could find pictures of your stateroom and see the menus ahead of time? Thanks to all who share. From your fellow obsessed cruiser!

Princess upgrades at no additional charge. I think mostly it is done to make cabins available in lower categories that will sell more easily with just a short time remaining until the cruise departs. Other times, they just have to balance all the bookings. If a lower category gets oversold and there is space in more expensive cabins, they'll start moving people. If you get a major upgrade from one basic cabin configuration to the next, it's pretty much just a matter of good luck.

Correct, you wouldn't be charged if they upgraded you, because you didn't ask for it. If they need the room you were assigned or if the room was damaged on the previous cruise or if they have overbooked the lower cabins they might upgrade you. If you ask for an upgrade however then in theory you could be charged.

You usually have 24 hours to take it or leave it. If you don't give an answer, the upgrade is given to you. Sometimes the upgrade isn't the best...for instance, from a lower balcony center, to a higher balcony, but either extremely fore or aft on the ship. And...there are alot of people out there who book a balcony or suite maybe because that's all there is left on the ship. They are then put on a waitlist for the category they want. If and when it becomes available, then they are put in the lower cat. and the lower cats. are upgraded. So, you can actually get a balcony room if you book an inside or outside cabin. ;)

We are on the May 17 sailing of the Emerald Princess, had booked a cat. AA mini suite and just last week Princess upgraded us to a Penthouse Suite. I saw this through the cruise personalizer, no e-mail nor did our TA call. Later I found out she didn't know about this.

We always book a minisuite and are quite content sailing in one; however, we're very grateful the upgrade fairy struck. In thirty something cruises this has only happened three times. However, we have gone to the purser's desk upon boarding and paid a small amount to upgrade to a full suite if one was available. Many times the ship is sold out and this doesn't work.

Pat

Hi Spongerob - as much as I hate to agree with AAAAmerican, Princess has "offered" me an upgrade in exchange for slightly more money per person. Sam

We are on the May 17 sailing of the Emerald Princess, had booked a cat. AA mini suite and just last week Princess upgraded us to a Penthouse Suite. I saw this through the cruise personalizer, no e-mail nor did our TA call. Later I found out she didn't know about this.

We always book a minisuite and are quite content sailing in one; however, we're very grateful the upgrade fairy struck. In thirty something cruises this has only happened three times. However, we have gone to the purser's desk upon boarding and paid a small amount to upgrade to a full suite if one was available. Many times the ship is sold out and this doesn't work.

Pat

Pat - Congratulations on your upgrade! If the ship is not sold out and a full suite is available when you go to the purser's desk upon boarding, what is "a small amount"? Is it a few hundred dollars instead of thousands?

Archived