Noordam in May - which nights are formal? Freestyle dining?

MySmoochy

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a bit but as our cruise approaches (May 20th!) I figured I better get my questions answered soon. Be forewarned, I'll probably post a bunch of questions in the next week. I'll try not to be redundent...forgive me if I am. We've only taken one other cruise...eight years ago for our honeymoon...and it was awful. It took us eight years to recover and try a cruise again :eek: . So I'm new to the board and basically new to cruising. And our ship is a new one so I'm not seeing a whole lot of posts specific to this itinerary/ship.

My first question - does anyone know which nights are formal nights on the cruise? It's a 7 day Alaska cruise (May 20-27). I don't do formal on vacation (actually, I don't do formal ever). We want to make a reservation at the steakhouse for at least one of the formal nights and I'd like to do it in advance. While I'm thinking of it, has anyone had a bad experience with reservations made in advance? I read one review that said they couldn't find the reservation when they showed up. I'd like to know if this is an isolated incident (not that I won't check back once we are on board the ship).

I know there are posts on this next topic and maybe I'm just missing the answer I'm looking for. I don't want to stir up a controversy but I'm going to ask anyway: We received a letter with our tickets that said we'll be booked for freestyle (?) dining. I've read the letter 4 times. I consider myself reasonably :) intelligent but I just don't get it. Do we just show up ANY time between the hours on the letter? And do they generally accomodate requests for a table for two? It seems from the other posts that they are used to this and do provide them if asked. I don't like the idea of sitting at a big table with different people every night...it appears many others don't either. Can someone try to explain what this is like and how it works? I guess I'm asking because I read somewhere (maybe not here) that even in freestyle, you show up in one hour intervals or something like that.

So now that I've said 1) my only other cruise was awful, 2) I don't do formal and 3) I'm anti-social wanting a table for two <LOL>, I hope everyone isn't put off by my questions! We are actually nice people :D .

Thanks in advance for the help.

MySmoochy:

You've asked more questions than I can comfortably answer, because I'm not sure of the answers myself, but I'll try, and hopefully someone with more authority will stop by:) . There's a lot of stuff I don't know, and should!

This anytime dining business is being tested on the Noordam Alaska itineraries this summer. If you have any questions or concerns at all, you can stop by and visit the dining room Maitre D' on the day you board. My understanding of the new open dining concept is that yes, you can indeed come to the dining room at any time during the window of time mentioned in your letter. I would be inclined to call my TA with questions, or contact HAL directly if you would like some clarification. You can certainly request a table for two. I'm going to be on the June 17 Noordam itinerary, and so I'm interested myself how it all turns out. For myself, I have requested the traditional dining arrangement, with a set time and table. (I am going solo on this cruise).

I think your formal nights will be on your first sea day (that's the day after you board), and also on the evening of the day you are in Ketchikan (you are scheduled to depart Ketchikan at 1 pm, I believe.)

My understanding is that you can make a general reservation for the Pinnacle Grill in advance, but you need to verify once you are onboard as to the specific time and date (?). I've only been to the Pinnacle Grill once, and my TA made the arrangements, and the specific reservations were in our cabin upon our arrival. The time/date didn't work for us, so we were able to change it. You need to know that on the formal nights, the attire applies to the Pinnacle Grill restaurant as well, and you will be expected to wear formal attire there. Appopriate formal night attire would be a jacket and tie for men, and a nice pants outfit with a dressy top, or a nice dress for women (in other words, you don't need ball gowns and tuxedos.)

You can wear more casual attire in the Lido restaurant; that applies to every evening.

My answers have probably confused you further, I'm sorry. There's a roll call for your cruise, if you look here. The other folks on your cruise may have better answers for you.

Karin

Formal nights will be the second and sixth evening of your cruise.

The dress code applies to the Main Dining room as well as the Pinacle Grill and I would hate to see you get turned away at the door, due to attire. Those who prefer to not dress for the evening usually choose to dine in the LIDO area or via Room Service. The LIDO is a more casual venue.

I have not made reservations for the Pinacle Grill prior to the cruise so I have no experience with this. I am aware that one poster said his/her reservation was lost in space.

No one knows, with certainty, how Anytime Dining is going to work in Alaska, this summer. Anything you read here is speculation and opinion, not fact. I think many of us will be looking to those who sail early May, for a glimpse into the reality.

My sense of it is that you can present yourself for dinner, when you please, If too many do so at the same time, it increases the likelihood there will be a wait. That you prefer a table for two may increase the likelihood of a wait because such tables are coveted, for the obvious reasons. This is no different than dining at a restuarant during prime time. Either we enjoy a cocktail and wait or work around the busy time and dine a little earlier or later.

Increasingly, more pax prefer to dine with their own party and do not want the interaction, occasionally forced, that goes along with dining with strangers. The flip side is that such pax miss out on meeting new people. But I certainly understand it that this is not what all pax want out of their vacation and I believe HAL understands this too.

MySmoochy,

Please join us on the Noordam 5/20 roll call. One of the group has set up a meet and greet for the Piano Bar on the 21st at 10:30 with a cabin crawl to follow.

My understanding of the freestyle dining is that you can just show up during the designated hours, or you can make a reservation.

Zane

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a bit but as our cruise approaches (May 20th!) I figured I better get my questions answered soon. Be forewarned, I'll probably post a bunch of questions in the next week. I'll try not to be redundent...forgive me if I am. We've only taken one other cruise...eight years ago for our honeymoon...and it was awful. It took us eight years to recover and try a cruise again :eek: . So I'm new to the board and basically new to cruising. And our ship is a new one so I'm not seeing a whole lot of posts specific to this itinerary/ship.

My first question - does anyone know which nights are formal nights on the cruise? It's a 7 day Alaska cruise (May 20-27). I don't do formal on vacation (actually, I don't do formal ever). We want to make a reservation at the steakhouse for at least one of the formal nights and I'd like to do it in advance. While I'm thinking of it, has anyone had a bad experience with reservations made in advance? I read one review that said they couldn't find the reservation when they showed up. I'd like to know if this is an isolated incident (not that I won't check back once we are on board the ship).

I know there are posts on this next topic and maybe I'm just missing the answer I'm looking for. I don't want to stir up a controversy but I'm going to ask anyway: We received a letter with our tickets that said we'll be booked for freestyle (?) dining. I've read the letter 4 times. I consider myself reasonably :) intelligent but I just don't get it. Do we just show up ANY time between the hours on the letter? And do they generally accomodate requests for a table for two? It seems from the other posts that they are used to this and do provide them if asked. I don't like the idea of sitting at a big table with different people every night...it appears many others don't either. Can someone try to explain what this is like and how it works? I guess I'm asking because I read somewhere (maybe not here) that even in freestyle, you show up in one hour intervals or something like that.

So now that I've said 1) my only other cruise was awful, 2) I don't do formal and 3) I'm anti-social wanting a table for two <LOL>, I hope everyone isn't put off by my questions! We are actually nice people :D .

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mysmoochy,

Welcome to the HAL board, if you've been lurking you may know some of us already.

This will be the Noordam's first time in Alaska but she is sailing the same route we did on Westerdam did last year .There were not many tuxes and gowns on our cruise. I really think Alaska is less formal than other itineraries. Many people say formal is formal, and it is, but i think Alaska cruisers don't follow the code as closely.

No one will notice what you are wearing as long as it is appropriate or not outstanding like jeans on a formal night. The dress code for the ship is a ship-wide policy after 6pm. We're not supposed to change after dinner, but people do.

Just consider IF you will feel uncomfortable and out of place if you do not dress up a bit. If you don't care fine. I would feel like an old shoe. I don't own a ball gown and tiara and feel fine in a plain black long dress which I acessorize a bit, or black travel knit pants and a sparkly top.

If you'd rather eat alone that's fine too but we are empty-nested and eat alone much of the time so we like to meet new people and most HAL cruisers are very friendly and fun to be with.

You certainly have options, Don't feel boxed in. I'm sorry your last cruise was a disaster, we had one on RCCI years ago. We just got back to cruising in 2002 and feel very much at home on HAL. I hope you will give us a chance, we're really not snooty at all.

We loved Alaska. The service on HAL is outstanding and the crew and atmosphere is very friendly. We've been on 5 HAL ships and this was true on each one. We've also made many friends. I hope you will too.

GN

Yes, as others have said you will be expected to dress formally in the Pinnacle even on formal nights. The Pinnacle Grill does follow the dress code of the evening.

As for tables for 2 for this new any time dining - be aware that there aren't a lot of tables on the lower level for 2 and they will go quickly. You didn;t mention what time you would like to dine. The later you get there, the harder it will be to get one of those tables.

Have fun on your first HAL cruise and Alaska.

Hi MySmoochy!!

I'm Nathan & taking my mom Kate on the same sailing. As Zane said, please come over to the Roll Call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=469132 and introduce yourself and meet some others that will be on our sailing. So far we have about 50 CC'ers for the Meet & Greet the 1st Sea Day in the Piano Bar at 10:30am, then, those that would like to, will do a cabin crawl so we can see several different kinds of cabins. We have a very nice group and I think you'll enjoy it.

As for the questions, this is our first HAL and Alaska trip but as soon as I can I'll try to post what I have learned here so far.

Looking forward to meeting you both!

Nathan & Kate:)

Thanks everyone for your wonderful responses. It took me a day to get back to the site and I was very pleasantly surprised by everyone's help. I'll head over to the roll call board tomorrow and check it out. I've got to run and catch up on the two pages new questions since yesterday. This is one busy board!

Thanks again. Look forward to talking with many of you again.

Archived