Return trip packing with space bags

How do you re-vacuum your space bags for the return trip home?? Do you have to get the steward to bring the vacuum to your room?

I read that is what people do as bringing your own would not be pragmatic. Just pray that the vacuum cleaner is the one with a hose and not the upright type.

The space bags I have used are the type that you roll up with a one way valve, no vacuum necessary.

I've picked them up at Target several times. I don't know if I'll buy them again, though, they don't seem to last long. After 2 or 3 uses, they no longer work, not very sturdy.

I find that the two and a half gallon Ziploc bags work better for less money.

During a cruise (or any other vacation) we re-pack the same way we packed to leave. During the trip, I rehang all the hanging stuff after it's worn, only our unmentionables go into the dirty laundry. Although, we have found it far more pleasant to return home without a pile of dirty laundry, so we have it laundered mid-cruise.

I know, more info than you asked for :)

The alternative is to either use the Space Bags that do not require a vacuum sweeper (you fill the bag and roll it to compress the contents) or large ZipLoc bags.

I believe that ZipLoc even makes a size sold for the purpose.

Charlie

I used the space bags bought at Target on our last trip. They were great the only thing I will warn you is that you can fit a lot of stuff into those bags and then press the air out of them so you tend to pack a lot more stuff and therefore get charged for over weight as I did!!!!

I've picked them up at Target several times. I don't know if I'll buy them again, though, they don't seem to last long. After 2 or 3 uses, they no longer work, not very sturdy.

I completely agree. I bought "space bags", and after 3 uses, most of them are shot. Mine don't require a vaccum either - just roll'em up and zip'em up. I also prefer the large ziplocks now...they work great. :)

We had no problem with the steward loaning us the vacuum...seems quite a few other passengers were doing the same. To be honest I really didn't see a great advantage to the bags and won't take them again. We used them to take our laundry home and it gave us only slightly more space and of course weight was unchanged.

One more vote for passing up the space savers. Our space saver bags self-destructed. the giant ziplocs can be compressed..kneel down on top of the packed back and squee-eeze all the air out. I like packing clean everything in plastic so no one can rummage thru with dirty hands while inspecting, but coming home, i just roll up the dirty laundry and dry cleaning. It seems the heaviest items now, besides husband's dress shoes, are the tubes of sunscreen, toothpaste, deodorant, first aid, lotions, etc. that all used to go into the carryon.

One more vote for passing up the space savers. Our space saver bags self-destructed. the giant ziplocs can be compressed..kneel down on top of the packed back and squee-eeze all the air out. I like packing clean everything in plastic so no one can rummage thru with dirty hands while inspecting, but coming home, i just roll up the dirty laundry and dry cleaning. It seems the heaviest items now, besides husband's dress shoes, are the tubes of sunscreen, toothpaste, deodorant, first aid, lotions, etc. that all used to go into the carryon.
That is exactly what I am worrying about. There is no way my suitcase will have room for all my toiletries since we are flying to Miami. Maybe the cruise terminal should open a CVS or a Walgreens right there so we can all buy our toiletries before we board. LOL!

It seems the heaviest items now, besides husband's dress shoes, are the tubes of sunscreen, toothpaste, deodorant, first aid, lotions, etc. that all used to go into the carryon.

That is exactly what I am worrying about. There is no way my suitcase will have room for all my toiletries since we are flying to Miami. Maybe the cruise terminal should open a CVS or a Walgreens right there so we can all buy our toiletries before we board. LOL!

This is something I've never quite understood. I have never carried toiletries in my carryon...not even pre-911. Why do you need them with you?

I also use the type you roll up and don't need a vacuum cleaner to take the air out. There are more than just the original space bags out there. I got some in WalMart a while ago that are from Samsonite. There are cheaper versions too. Bed Bath & Beyond carry the original kind - both vacuum and roll ups.

I use the roll up kind when I travel. I always bring my own pillow and it smushes it down very nicely - when I unpack it fluffs right back up. :D Not a lot of extra weight either. I think if you use them for regular clothes you need to be aware of the extra weight you are adding to your suitcase. :eek:

This is something I've never quite understood. I have never carried toiletries in my carryon...not even pre-911. Why do you need them with you?

For me, it was always that I didn't want spillage on my clothes, or run the risk of not having my shampoo/cond./hairspray still with me.

My makeup is expensive and the bag of it, even with just a few items can run over $100 to replace.

My facial regimen is one that isn't available in drug stores and not at all easy to replace.

So, I've always been the opposite of you, I cannot understand why a person wants to run the risk of losing or spillage of their liquid products.

I will say that on the return trip home I would check the bag carrying my toiletries since most of the stuff was empty anyway. But, my makeup bag would never go into a suitcase :)

I talked to my SIL yesterday because she had told me that she bought spacebags for this cruise. She bought the vacuum kind and plans of having the steward bring the vacuum down for her to use.

She cruises alot, but lives in Florida so this is her first cruise to include a flight to get there. I hope the steward has a vacuum with a hose or she is going to be Hosed if she can't close her suitcase closed.

Archived