Maitre'd bottom fishing for tips

steveaaaa

Well Steve, I didn't tip the cruise director. And you know what, I never saw her, not one time. Usually the cruise director is there when you get on a ship (at least in my humble experience) and she was not. They are usually there when you exit the ship. She was not. They usually at least show their face around the Lido. She did not. I saw here on TV when I watched the debarkation talk, that was the ONLY time :cool:

only tipped one maitre'd - then only because he stopped by table EVERY night and always shared a joke or otherwise made us feel very welcome (his name was KEN and he could sing!

otherwise--they get a salary for doing their jobs...no beyond it, no tip!

Apart from supervising the waiting staff?

Apart from assigning seating in his restaurant?

Apart from meeting and greeting?

Apart from ensuring that one is seated at one's regular table on each new cruise?

Apart from ensuring that cabin service is dealt with efficiently?

Apart from noting when one is coming back and ensuring his records of that are accurate?

Apart from ensuring at lunchtime that one is happy with the menu that evening and, if not, taking an order for something else?

Apart from ensuring that someone is available to meet and greet by name?

Apart from ensuring that each diner is wished a good evening by name on leaving the dining room?

You mean, apart from that lot, what does a Maitre' D do?

Matthew

We have never been welcomed by name from the maitre'd.

We all hear about the hard work the Maitre'd puts into seating arrangements. Does anyone really believe that he personally assigns each passenger a table every single week? They kinda lead you to believe that. He couldnt possibly have time to do so.

Personally I think there is a computer that does all the work and he only makes changes upon request after boarding.

From what I have heard the Purser's computer spits out demographics for parties on the ship and then the Food & Beverage system pulls that data, parses it with dinner time requests (which I doubt at times), and then tries to group like people together if possible. When I went with my wife on our last cruise, we were seated at a table with 2 other couples (who were also locals in the Tampa area) around our same age +/- 5 years. Because of this we actually have some great new people to assoicate with, we still go out to dinner with these people on a semi-regular basis...

I think the Maitre'D SHOULD be visible and helpful if he wants a tip (at least from me), I was brought up that you tip according to the service level you get. On our last cruise he got nothing. We never saw him at all the entire week, he didn't come by the table, he wasn't at the entrance to greet people. He was just a voice on the PA system twice for the week.

Granted on the Inspiration (the ship I was on when this happened) I am more accoustomed to the friendly visits by George the Greek. Baboo (I THINK that was his name) just let me down.

George the Greek make dining an event, we had more fun in that dining room! Just got back today. We tipped him and we think he deserved it. He was funny, informative, and was there every night, greeted everyone as they entered, and stopped by tables. It was something we looked forward to every night. I won't say he made the trip, but he sure did add to it.

I love George the Greek, sadly on our last cruise on the Inspiration he was off the ship after suffering a heart attack. I had even gotten my wife worked up about George.. she was very disappointed by Babboo.

I have found it hard to tip the maitre'd. Sometimes he's nowhere to be found the last night. There is NO obligation to tip him - they provide envelope for convienience. Tipping him has gotten me his e mail address so I can make my special requests before I get on the ship.

Celebrity leaves an envelope for HEAD OF HOUSEKEEPING (someone you never see who manages cabin stewards) & tells you how much is appropriate tip. Now that's outrageous!

Archived