Maitre'd bottom fishing for tips

steveaaaa

Random question about asking to be reseated-- Say we are sat with couples that we feel we wouldn't enjoy our dinner with... When we ask the Maitre'd to move, what do we say? Can we sit with younger people closer to our age and/or more fun to be around? I would just be so scared that I'd end up worse the 2nd time around, so I would end up just staying where I was. :(

You're a Texan cruising out of Texas... what are the chances you wouldn't have agreat time with your tablemates??? :D You should usually be seated with like people in terms of age and family status. If you do want to move, just tell them the truth. Presumably there would be some specific reason (they were drunk, they were trying to convert you to their religion, they don't speak English, whatever). It's your cruise and unless you want to switch tables due to skin color or something, there is nothing to be embarrassed about.

As far as "fun to be around", don't expect someone else to make it happen: you get the table you make. We had some duds at our last table, but the other 6 of us had a great time. The other 2 more or less sat and watched. Didn't bother me a bit... ;)

I agree with you completely. We had a great time on our first and only cruise that we've taken. Our couples we sat with may not have been the type that we would generally be friends with, but we all made an effort and got along wonderfully! The only reason why I would see wanting to change tables is if someone is blatantly rude. We can really make friends with anyone. I was just curious as to how the whole "switching of tables" works.

What point is the job anyway?

Apart from supervising the waiting staff?

Apart from assigning seating in his restaurant?

Apart from meeting and greeting?

Apart from ensuring that one is seated at one's regular table on each new cruise?

Apart from ensuring that cabin service is dealt with efficiently?

Apart from noting when one is coming back and ensuring his records of that are accurate?

Apart from ensuring at lunchtime that one is happy with the menu that evening and, if not, taking an order for something else?

Apart from ensuring that someone is available to meet and greet by name?

Apart from ensuring that each diner is wished a good evening by name on leaving the dining room?

You mean, apart from that lot, what does a Maitre' D do?

Matthew

Apart from ensuring that one is seated at one's regular table on each new cruise?

Apart from noting when one is coming back and ensuring his records of that are accurate?

Apart from ensuring at lunchtime that one is happy with the menu that evening and, if not, taking an order for something else?

Apart from ensuring that each diner is wished a good evening by name on leaving the dining room?

Matthew

He gets a very nice salary.That is my point.

The head of housekeeping also does allot,but they are not trolling for tips.

Steve

Here's another word: OPTIONAL

If you don't like it, don't tip. If we feel the Maitre D did something for us that warrants a tip, we'll provide.

The Maitre D did not stop by our table once during our Conquest cruise a week ago. Had he visited us or made acknowledgement to us during our diningroom experience, we may have tipped him. But to have him greet us especially on the last night with hand out for an envelope - nope!

We did tip our waiter and assistant, as they worked very hard to please us.

I found this job description on a site for cruise line jobs. Judge for yourself if what he does deserves a tip.

Maitre D'/Restaurant Manager - takes care of seating arrangements, service, and oversees the wait staff for the dining room. Under the maitre d' are the head waiters, and each of them is responsible for several waiters and busboys. Fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: $3400-5200 U.S. per month, depending on the cruise line and gratuities from passengers.

Wow, a whole 40-60K per year. Including tips. Yeah, that's a "fat salaried" position, just like the OP said. What a ripoff, indeed. :rolleyes:

If you want to tip, tip. If you don't, you DON'T HAVE TO!!! What is so hard to understand about that?!?!?

The Maitre"D will earn my tip when he stops interupting my dinner with so called entertainment! :mad:

I just do not get this "tradition" at all. They ask you to dress up to make your meal time special (in the tradition of cruising when the Titanic was built) and then while they have you captive they start singing as if you were eating at a Chuckie Cheese!! :confused: The one contradicts the other.

And another thing, I really don't like to see the waiters dancing on top of the table/serving station where they will be setting my food in 5 minutes! :eek:

Want to make my dinner time special and enjoyable? Let me eat in peace and then go to the show lounge for some amateurish singing and dancing! ;)

Ciao for now!

Fins Up! :cool:

I think our maitre'd on the celebration Joseph made the dining experience memorable. He did an excellent job keeping the dining room enjoyable. I tipped him because I thought he did an excellent job. He was a memorable part of our cruise, something I cant say about the maitre'd on our first cruise last year on the Elation.

Matthew

He (the Maiter'D) on some cruises never meets or greets the passenger

He does nothing to assure your seating when the doors are opened.

By "cabin service" do you mean room service? Does the MD supervise that?

How does the MD know when I am coming back? I don't know that.

The MD does the menus? I assumed the Chef did that.

I have never been greeted by name in the dining room, with the exception of the waiter and his assistant.

My thought, the Captain provides more essential services however he is not tipped routinely. Why not?

ralph

They ask you to dress up to make your meal time special (in the tradition of cruising when the Titanic was built) and then while they have you captive they start singing as if you were eating at a Chuckie Cheese!! :confused: The one contradicts the other.

And another thing, I really don't like to see the waiters dancing on top of the table/serving station where they will be setting my food in 5 minutes! :eek:

Want to make my dinner time special and enjoyable? Let me eat in peace and then go to the show lounge for some amateurish singing and dancing! ;)

We (DW & I) feel the same way. We often skip eating in the dining room for those very reasons.

He (the Maiter'D) on some cruises never meets or greets the passenger

I am always greeted by name the moment I walk into the dining room on the first evening.

He does nothing to assure your seating when the doors are opened.

Not my experience.

By "cabin service" do you mean room service? Does the MD supervise that?

By cabin service I mean what you mean by room service. Certainly if the ship is in rough seas there is work as a result of cabin service.

How does the MD know when I am coming back? I don't know that.

Firstly I tend to let them know. Secondly, they know that when they see me on the list of passengers (assuming something booked at short notice) then if I'm with my wife I'll be in my usual table. If not, then I tend to email them directly. I always get the table I want as a result.

The MD does the menus? I assumed the Chef did that.

The chef will be involved in doing the menus. The Maitre'D makes sure that there is something on the menu that you like. If there isn't, he'll organise what you want.

Matthew

Wow, a whole 40-60K per year. Including tips. Yeah, that's a "fat salaried" position, just like the OP said. What a ripoff, indeed. :rolleyes:

If you want to tip, tip. If you don't, you DON'T HAVE TO!!! What is so hard to understand about that?!?!?

40-60k a year plus room and board all meals included. What does that add to the 40-60k per year???

I am always greeted by name the moment I walk into the dining room on the first evening.

Sorry, Matthew. You lost all credibility with that one, friend. Hundreds and even thousands of people cruising every trip, and you expect anyone to believe the Maitre d' recognizes you by sight the minute you walk into the restaurant? Unless you are Tony Blair or a member of the royal family, I think you're bloody full of it.

Sorry, Matthew. You lost all credibility with that one, friend. Hundreds and even thousands of people cruising every trip, and you expect anyone to believe the Maitre d' recognizes you by sight the minute you walk into the restaurant? Unless you are Tony Blair or a member of the royal family, I think you're bloody full of it.

I can assure you that it is the case. You can believe it or not, as you choose.

Matthew

or you can stand waiting for a table for an hour or more. On a cruise ship they stand at the door and make sure it doesn't slam on your a--. The only service they do is to correct the booking you made 6 months ago requesting a table for 2 or to dine with other members of your group. They are also useful as a door stop for speeding wheel chairs.

The best Matre'd we've had was on the Splendour of the Seas transatlantic last spring. He stopped by each evening to say hello and when our bus girl was sea sick for a few days (it was her first sailing!!) he even picked up a few dishes now and then. The bus girl from the next section was trying to take care of us too and just needed a little help once in a while as their weren't many of us...12 all together. Six at one table, us at a table-for-two and another twosome. Anyway, I just don't remember a matre'd picking up dirty dishes on any other cruise. That trip, we did give him a tip at the end.

And RC did something on that cruise that I really liked and wish other cruiselines would do. As we left the check-in counter, and before we boarded, we came to a little set-up manned by a couple of dining room folks. If you had questions about your assigned seating, you could ask then and there! We knew we wanted a table for two and we got it changed right there! We lucked out and got a table away from any walk through aisles, right next to a piano players platform which we enjoyed listening to each evening. Add to that some great food AND a waiter that was one in a million and the entire dining experience for that cruise was just tremendous!

Archived