hiring a driver for the day

tyson

Thanks for the great info, that gives me more to think about...I too will enjoy both seeing the local life as well as the bar hopping on the other side... And will get snacks and cervezas for the ride! Thanks again for responding.

It's been two days since I sent Mike a response to having Gerry drive us. Does it usually take that long or does that mean he's booked?:(

I am also wondering how long it takes to get a response from Mike. I emailed a couple days ago trying to reserve Lazaro and have not had a response. I was just wondering if this is normal.

It's been two days since I sent Mike a response to having Gerry drive us. Does it usually take that long or does that mean he's booked?:(

I seem to remember it was just a few days before he emailed me, But I would email again as he should tell you either way whether he is booked or not. I think I will just check on ours as I haven't spoken to him since the swine flu problem... please keep us informed if you get contact from him..

did you email cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com ?

I seem to remember it was just a few days before he emailed me, But I would email again as he should tell you either way whether he is booked or not. I think I will just check on ours as I haven't spoken to him since the swine flu problem... please keep us informed if you get contact from him..

did you email cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com ?

I just sent him an email to see what's up.....

:confused:

I just sent him an email to see what's up.....

:confused:

It does take a couple of days to get a response because Mike is in the US and Gerry doesn't have email (written English not so good). So Mike has to contact Gerry and then get back. I'd assume they have regularly scheduled calls to match calendars and fill new requests. But be patient. Mike will respond.

It does take a couple of days to get a response because Mike is in the US and Gerry doesn't have email (written English not so good). So Mike has to contact Gerry and then get back. I'd assume they have regularly scheduled calls to match calendars and fill new requests. But be patient. Mike will respond.

All is well!! Mike said he was not in town so wasn't able to check emails, but everyone should have heard from him by now....He has been so nice, we are so looking forward to our Cozumel experience!

Adios!

All is well!! Mike said he was not in town so wasn't able to check emails, but everyone should have heard from him by now....He has been so nice, we are so looking forward to our Cozumel experience!

Adios!

I heard from him too and we have Lazaro for Aug. 26. I am so excited and thank everyone for the info about them.

Hi everyone! We are booked again with Gerry for July 3rd! Can't wait to spend a few hours on the East side again. He was great last time and toured the east side with us, took us to the lighthouse, we even went to a couple of churches in town...They were beautiful! Gerry is great...He will suggest places to go or go where ever you have planned are!

Tell me...For those of you who have been to the East Side...Where is your favorite place to go for lunch...BESIDES COCONUTS (which is always good)

Hi everyone! We are booked again with Gerry for July 3rd! Can't wait to spend a few hours on the East side again. He was great last time and toured the east side with us, took us to the lighthouse, we even went to a couple of churches in town...They were beautiful! Gerry is great...He will suggest places to go or go where ever you have planned are!

Tell me...For those of you who have been to the East Side...Where is your favorite place to go for lunch...BESIDES COCONUTS (which is always good)

Playa Bonita for conch cerviche and grilled snapper! Playa Morena is close by too. Coconuts has become such a tourist trap:( Great view though.

thanks, I am taking notes too!!!

If you're not hungry while on the eastside but are when you're coming back to San Miguel and have time before you need to be at the ship, ask him to take you to Los Otates on Avenida 15, I think. It's open air and great fresh made tacos and guac and inexpensive. He may also know of other good "locals" places.

And tell him and Lazaro that Stephen, who had to cancel because of H1N1 in May is coming back in January.

If you're not hungry while on the eastside but are when you're coming back to San Miguel and have time before you need to be at the ship, ask him to take you to Los Otates on Avenida 15, I think. It's open air and great fresh made tacos and guac and inexpensive. He may also know of other good "locals" places.

And tell him and Lazaro that Stephen, who had to cancel because of H1N1 in May is coming back in January.

Or O'Tate's as we call it on St Patrick's day, yuk yuk! They're only opening at 6PM now in Low Season. No more lunches for now....

To all who have posted about their experience with Gerry and Lazaro as 'tour guides'...I emailed Mike last week and he got back to me and we have booked Gerry for 7/8/09 in the afternoon...since the Imagination doesn't arrive 'til 1 PM. I finally convinced my sister, brother-in-law and niece to try a 'short' cruise. They liked the idea of doing a 'general' tour of the island since they have never been there. I've been there several times but have not been to the eastern side of the island. My niece has asked to go see the ruins at San Gervasio...for those that have been there...would an hour be enough to allot to it? I never went there while in Cozumel because on previous land trips to Cancun and environs I've already done the day trips to Chichen Itza and one to Coba. Thanks for any info in advance.

We are looking forward to meeting Gerry and someone in a previous post said that Gerry has a little 4-5 year daughter...so I bought a pre-k book (in Spanish) and some coloring books with some markers for him to give to her.

For those who will be touring with either Gerry or Lazaro before we do...please post back here about your tour and day in Cozumel. Thanks...

Happy sailing!

They'll take you just about anywhere you'd like to go. If you've been to other Mayan ruin sites, the ruins at San Gervasio will be a bit disappointing. It's a bit of a drive, especially if you want to see the eastern (wild) side of the island, but you can do the site in abotu 45 minutes if you don't linger around. If it were my tour, I'd go douth to the lighthouse instead, then up the eastern side to the shell beaches (Chien Rio, et. al.) Lazzaro and Gerry both know where the best shell spots are. And then maybe a bite to eat at Playa Bonita, (conch cerviche and a beer) instead of Coconuts, then back to the ship. That'll probably take you 4-4 1/2 hours, depending on how long you're at the lighthouse and how many beach stops you make.

You'll have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Thanks Crewsweeper for your suggestions...much appreciated...well since my teen aged niece requested a chance to see the ruins...we'll make a stop there to satisfy her interest...wouldn't want to stifle ANY interest in historical sites!!! I'll bet she'd like the chance to do some shell hunting too....thanks again for replying...

Happy sailings!

Betty

Just got back from our cruise! We met Gerry at 11am and had requested a car seat for a toddler and the van. We had a wonderful day, but it went much too quickly (4 hours seemed like 1!). It was very easy to install the car seat, but it was for an infant rather than a toddler. Luckily the 2 1/2 year old that was with us is slender and so even though it was a snug fit it worked out just fine! We tried Progresso the day before on our own, and the heat and toddler gear was just too much. Our day with Gerry was perfect, and having that air conditioned van and someone to look out for us made all the difference! Only regret is not getting an earlier start, but two of the members of our group just don't function before 10am. :rolleyes: