Anyone on Costa Europa????

bastet27

I will be going on the Costa Europa for my honeymoon next June. I've been reading some review websites and just got very bad feedback about Costa but especially, about the boat itself.

Does anyone have some information about it? I am really looking forward to go on this boat cause it features very interesting ports of call but now I'm really worried about the service, food, facilities, etc.

I've previously been on Regal Princess (Australia and NZ), Royal Caribbean (Caribbean) and around the Greek islans and totally loved them.

Should I expect the same quality and service onboard Costa???

HELP PLEASE!!!! :rolleyes:

Bastet,

Costa Europa is an old ship, lacking most of facilities modern cruise ships have (only few suites with balcony, no balconies in regular cabins), so if you are expecting a cruise experience similar to the ones you had on Princess and RCI you'll be disappointed.

Having said that, I must also say this ship is in some way more elegant and romantic than the new ones, with more intimate ambient and a lot of lounges where you can rest and listen to good music (from piano bar to classic).

Cabins are larger than most of modern ships, albeit a bit dark.

Food is a very personal matter: if you like Italian food you will be pleased, otherwise you might have problems.

Europa experience is somewhat different and more similar to what cruises used to be in the 70's and 80's, so if you are looking for a relaxing holiday, go for it!

Personally I've been on it twice and I love it, but must say I'm in my mid 50's, started cruising in 1979 and the reason I love Europa is that it reminds me of the old days, as it is definitely a ship and not the glitzy and flashing holiday resorts cruise ships are now. You need to be a bit old fashion lover if to appreciate it.

Giabra:

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I am now feeling kind of relieved. I love Italian food, so no problems there, and of course it will be a plus being in a romantic and cozy cruise for my honeymoon.

I was mostly worried about rooms with faulty air conditioning, noisy staterooms, and rude staff....apparently it is not like that!!!

Anyways, I would love to hear any other experience........;)

Hello, so sorry u picked the costa Europa,,,be warned the main staff...not the waiters, room stewards etc...are not very nice to the english speaking guests and can be misleading and outright rude...and the ship constantly smells of sewage ...Check the dates and times your ship will be in each port...on almost 80% of our stops we were there when the main parts of town were closed or only open for part of the time we were there..or it was a holiday or weekend when most of the shops were closed:mad:

I was on the Europa this time last year. My first cruise so has nothing to compare it to.

Some impressions? I loved the look of the ship - its bars and comfy furnishings. The cabin was kept really clean and tidy by a lovely smiling steward. Most of the staff - particularly cabin stewards, bar staff and the cruise directors who entertain and accompany you on excursions - were fabulous. The piano lounge was a favourite after dinner for a cognac and the cocktail of the day (XL size at a small additional cost) was a must.

Get yourself a wine package if you intend to drink wine with dinner - this pack includes water and is cheaper than buying adhoc.

All the mechanics - I mean embarkation and disembarkation were smooth - no probs. Excursions were pricey - I would recommend you take them if you doing Egypt and Pompei and Olympia but not for Cyprus, Rhodes, Athens.

But I have to comment on the downsides too:

1. very poor and disappointing food (calling the fare Italian is an insult to Italians)

2. smell (yes - everyone mentions the smell of septic tanks)

3. expense - though I can't compare, so I assume it is similar to others - but be prepared and DO NOT attempt to use the internet - you will die old trying to get a connection at something like 3 euro a minute.

4. if you are an English speaking couple be prepared to be in a very small minority and be prepared to the last thought of in the long stream of announcements and games conducted in french, german, spanish, italian... (but hey, that was ok - it's their backyard not mine but the culture clash is a little offputting - don't expect orderly queue waiting anywhere in europe).

Good luck!

Costa Europa? An old elegant woman!

Surely with some ailments, but from the irresistible charm!:rolleyes:

100 times better than Costa Atlantica, Mediterranea, Fortuna, Magica, Concordia and Serana, if you are looking for a traditional cruise.

As for " very poor and disappointing food (calling the fare Italian is an insult to Italians) ", I totally agree, but ,anyhow, good food!:)

Instead, as for " don't expect orderly queue waiting anywhere in europe ", It's a shame ( and I'm Italian ) but the hard truth...:(

Enjoy your cruise!

ItalianGuest

Archived