Panama Canal - experiences/opinions...

Peggy Sue

Localady, we are on the cruise after yours. As I read it, when the ship gets to Colon, we can do shore excursions such as the train trip from there. It appears that you have to take a ship excursion, but at least you can do it. Our plan is to stay on the ship back to Colon and then do the train. I hope this is correct.

Clopaw-

Actually our TA confirmed what you said yesterday, that you can take a ship sponsored trip from Colon. This is a relief as we are very excited about cruising the Canal! We promise to leave the Ship in top shape for your cruise!!!!:cool:

Localady, We are very excited, too. My husband is quite interested in the canal, and the other ports are all new to us as well. For that matter, this is our first HAL cruise, ninth overall. Have you made your plans for the other ports yet? The only thing I think I have decided for sure is the Tortuguero(sp?) canal excursion in Costa Rica. I really wish there were enough time to do two there, but it seems as though they are all too long to put two together.

Clopaw-

We certainly are on the same wavelength! After the rave reviews of the Tortuguero(sp?) Canal, we are also hoping to do that also!! The only other thing I am sure of is that I really would like to do as much snorkeling as I am able to do. Not so sure my DH and the friends we are travelling with will have any interest, but I am an independent gal and have no prob taking a tour solo!

We have rented a cabana at HMC. One of our friends was involved in a horrible car accident a few years back and she has resultant mobility issues. We figured this would help her be more comfortable than trying to get up and down from a lounge chair in the sand!:cool:

localady,

You'll love the cabanas at HMC. We got one for the same reasons you did - more comfort for the less mobile (my parents). It's like having your own little beach house for the day. The air conditioning and the misters come in very handy.

Happy cruising,

Susan

MBeanTx- It sure will come in handy!! I also love the sun but have to watch my exposure, as it seems like some of the meds I am on for my heart makes me turn very red very quickly!!! I adore spending the entire day at HMC, but available shade is really helpful!:cool:

Hi Localady!

My friends who took the train had a chance to see most of the canal as the train passed to the Pacific at a rather quick rate. The pictures they snapped show the rapid transit (they are a bit blurred). They also had a breif stop in Panama City and then got on a bus for the trip back to Colon. They said that the area around Colon was depressed and the guide told them that it was unsafe to venture out of the tourist compound.

At Colon you can get off the ship and go into a shopping mall. You can buy molas and baskets or other touristy stuff. You can also go to the grocery store and repenish essentials, the crew told us that this is the best grocery store stop that they have. (I know I'm telling you that the highlight of this port is grocery shopping)

Even so I was glad that we stayed on the ship. The stepping down the locks was worth it. You cannot imagine how cool it is to be standing at the bow and see the ocean in the distance and know that it is below you. Also on the trip down the ship is not as full and you can run around to differnt sides of the ship and always have a place to stand. I was also glad that I bought some molas, and went to the store, we were running low on Mt Dew and diet Pepsi.

We were able to find good independent tours for all of the others ports on this cruise, if you decide to do something in Panama this might be the time to follow the crowd and do the ships tour thing.

As I said BEWARE!!! The canal may just suck you back.

Mountainmare-

Thanks for the great information!! Definately hope to do some shopping as it's right before Xmas! Last year the family got presents from South America, this year the Panama Canal:eek: ! Thanks also for the tip re the grocery shopping, I sometimes enjoy wandering thru grocery shops in other countries, trying new sodas etc!

We are too booked to do another Canal trip in the near future, but maybe down the road. We will be cruising the Kiel Canal in Europe on the Prinsendam and are very excited about that one toooo! Thanks again!!:cool:

Thanks again!

Archived