What to do in Grand Cayman?

sas80

So, we are not going to do the stingray excursion. After all the chat, and the pics (thakyoueveryone) I realized that this is neither a must-do nor a really-good-idea for a 10 month old...

But what else is there to do in Grand Cayman?

All I see is snorkeling and sting rays, sting rays and snorkeling.....we can snorkel or we can sting ray, or we can snorkel and sting ray in one tour....

Anyone have any other suggestions?

How about a visit to the Cayman Turtle Farm? It now has a new location, Boatswain's Beach - and would be a great trip. Along with the different turtle breeding ponds and areas, they have a lagoon with tropical fish, a predator lagoon (sharks, eels, etc) and a bird aviary. Then of course, you can make a stop at the Town of Hell (even send a postcard from there). And of course there's Seven Mile Beach.

How about a visit to the Cayman Turtle Farm? It now has a new location, Boatswain's Beach - and would be a great trip. Along with the different turtle breeding ponds and areas, they have a lagoon with tropical fish, a predator lagoon (sharks, eels, etc) and a bird aviary. Then of course, you can make a stop at the Town of Hell (even send a postcard from there). And of course there's Seven Mile Beach.

Whats the deal with seven mile beach?

Get away from the port. The last time we were there, four ships were in port and it seemed all the shops were very busy and hot. Do whatever you can to get away from the port. The beach would be good or the turtle farm. Maybe those are two things we will consider for this year.

Joe

We took our kids (12, 9, and 3) to 7 mile beach, and spend the day there, at the Beach Club Colony Hotel. The beach was spectacular, the nicest I have ever been to. My kids LOVED using their snorkel equipment, and just playing in the water all day. We had a nice lunch on the hotel patio.

This was an excursion through RCI, and I think it was my favorite day of the whole week!

Karen

We took our kids (12, 9, and 3) to 7 mile beach, and spend the day there, at the Beach Club Colony Hotel. The beach was spectacular, the nicest I have ever been to. My kids LOVED using their snorkel equipment, and just playing in the water all day. We had a nice lunch on the hotel patio.

This was an excursion through RCI, and I think it was my favorite day of the whole week!

Karen

Do you remember if there was any good snorkeling going on there? Or was the snorkeling equipment and acticity just something else to do while on the beach?

We were in Caymen in Feb - I had my 10 year old and 10 month old. We just grabbed a taxi (they are all over) and asked to be taken to 7-mile beach. It was great. The water was beautiful and we swam all day. Ate lunch on the beach and had a good time in the sand. The cab driver came back at the time we asked - and took us right back to the port area and we bummed around the shops and went to Margaritaville.

It was an easy and nice day......:)

Have fun!

Lisa

If you are looking for a smaller, more secluded beach, Rum Point is it. The beach there awesome, you can grab lunch, snorkle, play sand volleyball, and just hang out. We spent an afternoon there last year, and it was probably our best beach day ever. There were absolutely no crowds. We were really surprised at the number of people at Seven Mile on our way back to the ship.

We will be in GC in Sept on Liberty of the Seas and we have rented a car and are driving to Rum Point. We will have a 17 month old with us and thought this would be a great beach day.

we loved Sea Grape beach---just got a taxi. Very clean, nice restrooms, changing area...outside shower. Nominal charge for chairs/umbrellas...we had a nice lunch/drinks at the snack bar there. Our daughter was 5 when we were there; not too crowded (maybe we were lucky), but children of all ages.

I agree with the crowd -- go to the beach. The beaches in GC are maybe the best I've ever seen. We always just grab a cab to 7 mile beach. Give a 10 month old a beach, a bucket and a shovel, and you're pretty much set. It's just a big sandbox with water.

Has anyone used a private tour that took just and you and yours around the island, stopping a various places? I thought maybe this would be a good idea with our 10 month old. A little beach, a little turtle farm, a little Hell. We have two other kids, and I want them to see some of the island. They'd probably be just content at the beach. UGH!! Decisions, decisions.

DO NOT do the Butterfly Express tour! :eek: No it wasn't THAT bad. But the kids were quickly bored. It was cute to see but I was glad it was EXPRESS ;)

It was hot. And we had to listen to a tour guide tell us about the life cycle of a butterfly for 20 minutes.

My kids would have been happier at the beach.

AND if you go to Grand Caymen's Hard Rock Cafe...NOTE...you will pay $12.99 US for a kid's meal. :o

Our family does a land vacation in Grand Cayman every other year. We have already booked our rental on Rum Point for March 08.

(I actually looked into booking a cruise, but for our family of 5 over spring break, the prices were outrageous)

Grand Cayman is pretty sleepy. My kids are 11, 8, and almost 4. Their favorite places are:

Rum Point: We love to stay here. The beach has sugar white sand, and it protected by a reef. The water is calm, warm and wonderful. It is a great beach for young kids. The snorkeling is only okay. There is a quiet beach bar to get lunch. It is a solid 40-45 minute drive from Georgetown.

Stingray City: The water is variable here. Some days, it is very shallow and will be suitable for young children, but one day when we went out, it was up to my chest and choppy. This is my oldest son's favorite spot. I'm hoping my 8 year old DD will enjoy it this time. Last time, she just watched from the boat.

Blow holes: This is really just a quick stop. My kids delighted in watching the water shoot out of the holes. The view is magnificent.

Seven mile beach: This was a fun "excursion" for us from Rum Point. The beach is fun with more activities. There is a neat playground. It is a lot more crowded than Rum Point, and the waves are bigger.

Turtle farm: The kids enjoyed this, but it was certainly not their favorite activity.

Have a great time!

Thanks for all the great posts. My fear is the kids will get bored quickly with many of the excursions. I'm thinking a quick trip to the turtle farm and then off to the beach. It sounds like 7 mile beach is busy, but nice. I believe it is also close to the farm. Hmmmm. Does anyone know of an excursion that does these two sites?

Archived