tanzanite

GucciGal

Is Cozumel the only port you will be in? Last Oct. I got my tanzanite & diamond ring in OchoRios, Jamaica......loose stones in Grand Cayman and my slide in Cozumel. Prices really vary from what grade, size and with or without diamonds. Be sure when buying tanzanite to go with the darker color stones. :) Every store I went into would let me take it out in the sunlight. :cool: You really want to do that, the colors are alot different in the sun than in the store. My ring stone is a triple A. Tanzanite could be even more expensive now, as the mines are almost mined out :( Good luck and Happy shopping :D

Sharon - What cruiseline will you be sailing on? I always go to the stores that the cruiselines guarantee. In Cozumel, I found Diamonds International to be the most reasonable...I got my tanz & diamond slide and also a pair of diamond stud earrings. I thought Grand Cayman was a bit more pricey (but I did manage to buy the loose stones) and in Ocho Rios, I'll dig out my receipts to get you the name of this store. I hit every store there and found this one to have the best deals.......Don't forget to take the piece outside to check it in the sunlight :)

Sorry Sharon, that post was for GucciGal.....Anyway GucciGal, I found my receipts.......bought way more than I thought:eek: My ring came from Gem Palace TajMahal in OchoRios....Loose stones came from London Jewellers Factory in Grand Cayman....I also bout a slide in Grand Switzerland in Grand Cayman. They didn't have too good of prices on the tanzanite though. And then also Diamond International. Don't take their marked price....I got over $1000.00 off my studs & they threw in the Tanzanite slide for half price:) Happy shopping & don't forget to listen to the cruise director or whoever gives those talks. He even handed out coupons to the first 100 people of the ship for Diamond International. We went on Island Princess to the Panama Canal. If you are doing that cruise and are stopping in Costa Rica, you will love it. I thought the people were the nicest there. And when you get off ship they have like a flea market set-up with all hand made crafts. I personally loved the tropical bird feathers that the locals painted designs on. And very cheap:D When are you going? Have fun;)

The cruise line gets paid to recommend the stores (sometimes the CD gets a small cut) that are pushed during the shopping talks. I listen to what they say but take the advice with a big old grain of salt. I've generally found that I can get better deals other places.

Hi GucciGal,

We are on the Navigator together in three weeks...can't wait. I was on the Rhapsody last year and watched the prices in both the Caymans and Cozumel for tanzanite/opal type ring. I finally ended up buying it on the boat, as it was about the same price as I saw in Coz, but cheaper than Caymans. I probably could have gotten a better price in Coz, had I done some bargaining, but was hot and tired at that point, so that was my fault!

See you on the ship!

Lady2fan - I purchased my tanzanite ring in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. When looking for tanzanite you want the darker color stone. The states seem to have a lot of the lighter color stones, hence could be why some people are saying they can get as good a deal in the states as in the islands. Any store you are in that won't let you take the ring, etc. out into the sunlight, then don't shop there. Also ask to see & use their loop. That is the jewelers tool for looking at the stones. When I bought my diamond studs, there were several pair that they showed me and to the naked eye they looked good, but when I looked at them through the loop you could see all the carbon in the stones. I got $1000. off those with the help of my CD. He happened to come into the store and was talking to us. He asked me the price and if they had come down ant all. When I told him the price and that they had taken about $400 off he called the manager over and said "You'll have to do better than this". I have read some of the other boards and I have gone to that website and read the article. I have bought alot of jewelry in the islands and NEVER been dissapointed. As a matter of fact, when I took my loose stones to my jeweler to have mounted.....he told me when I go back to pick up some for him, because he cannot get tanzanite that cheap for that quality.

Happy shopping 7_1_104v.gif Sorry couldn't find a shopper in a gem store

Archived