Hawaiian CD

Gerry

Hi,

I would love to buy some Hawaiian CD's. I would like an instrumental (no words) and possibly one of Hawaiian Christmas songs. Any suggestions on where to buy and any special artists I should look for? My husband and I will be spending three days in Oahu, pre cruise, before boarding the Infinity.

I would also like to say thank you to everyone who posts questions and Emi, SueBee and Spleen for taking the time to answer these questions. I have gotten a lot of information that will really come in handy when we finally get to Hawaii in October. Really looking forward to seeing the beautiful islands of Hawaii. Thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gerry & Don

Cape Cod, MA

Gerry - Thank you for taking the time to notice us!

Well, My husband is the musician. While we were on the NCL Star, we picked up a CD of Charles Nahale who is a local musician employed by NCL. We had him sign the CD as well which made for a great souvenier.

My husband loves IZ. He is a local "bruddah" who passed away several years back. His music is storming back thanks to the appearance of his rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow/ Wonderful World appearing in several movies (50 first dates for one).

Jake Shimabukuro is a local Ukulele extrordinare. I have his CD (also signed since my husband did a gig with him in July) called Crosscurrent.....non-vocal and pleasing.

Another group we like is Na Palapalai. This is a female trio. They are currently playing at Chai's Island Bistro (Aloha Tower) on Thursday Aug 12. I know you wont be here then, but Chai's has live and local entertainment every night so you can keep track http://www.chaisislandbistro.com and perhaps get a signed CD yourself. I am also willing to bet that they do a Christmas one. *** Oh! I just noticed that Jake Shimabokuru plays there weekly still as Na Palapalai and the Brothers Cazimero. I would definitely try to see one of those groups there. ***

Those are all very different from one another but all good. Just off the top of my head....I am sure more will have suggestions!

P.S. I miss the Cape so much this time of year. We always went down every year. Now my brother has a house on the beach in Dennis. :(

Suebee!

Thank you for responding to the CD's. I will write everything down and bring with me when we go to Hawaii.

You mentioned your brother has a cottage in Dennis (Mid Cape Area). We actually live in Monument Beach (Upper Cape Area) and love it. Right now is the tourist season for us and the Cape is quite busy and there lis always traffic wherever you go especially on rainy days.

Thanks for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

Gerry

Hmm, not sure where Monument Beach is...we always went to Onset Beach (although on the other side of the canal) and Pocasset sometimes....and Old Silver. I still think youre lucky to live there, traffic and all!

Anyway, glad I could help. Music is pretty subjective, but I think you should find something you like. As a standby, you can always go to Borders or Tower and listen at the sampling stations.

The only CD of Hawaiian music I have was a gift for having purchased something else at Hilo Hatties. It's a compilation of songs by several Hawaiian artists, and when I want to "feel" the islands a bit, it's perfect. My point is that Hilo Hatties has some authentic island music, and I also heard some at a little store near the Waipio Valley, so that type of place may be a good bet too.

For instrumental stuff, I would agree that Jake Shimabukuro is an ukulele virtuoso and is amazing to listen and to watch ... but it's generally not very *relaxing* to listen to him since his music tends to showcase the speed of his hands. :)

I would recommend anything by the Pahinui brothers (Gabby Pahinui is fantastic) as well as the Beamer brothers (Keola Beamer is a slack key master). Also, George Kahumoku is another amazing slack key artist.

Hawaiian Christmas CD .... are you looking for Christmas carols being sung in Hawaiian?

Dan - thanks for finding that link. It would have taken me a while to recall what it was. :D

Oh, and you don't have to wait until you come to Hawaii to find some of these CDs ... you can order them on-line. Borders and Amazon actually have a decent selection ... and if all else fails, you can always check out: http://www.mountainapplecompany.com/. This is the recording company/management company that handles the majority of Hawaii's recording artists - they sell CDs too.

Spleen

Archived