Has anyone ever tried this??

I used the search button to find my answer, but the thread that seem to answer my question the best was dated for October of 2006.(there was no mention about it after that, that I saw anyway) It said that I could put money on to my S&S card, by filling out the gift form on Carnival website, and instead of putting my home address in the address area, I put my booking number. Then the money would be deposited to my S&S card. Does this work or will I just have problems. I also just thought about using a seperate savings account to save money for our cruise. What do you think is better. We are thinking of taking our girls in a year or so, there are 4 of them so we wanted to start saving now. We haven't booked a cruise yet. But I just wanted to tell DH all my plans for saving the money up to go. Any advice will be great.

Happy Cruising:cool:

Someone posted that info, In earily Feb or March but I can not remember the name of the topic to search it myself. You can do that in the Gift and Services section but I forget how.

Fred

I used the search button to find my answer, but the thread that seem to answer my question the best was dated for October of 2006.(there was no mention about it after that, that I saw anyway) It said that I could put money on to my S&S card, by filling out the gift form on Carnival website, and instead of putting my home address in the address area, I put my booking number. Then the money would be deposited to my S&S card. Does this work or will I just have problems. I also just thought about using a seperate savings account to save money for our cruise. What do you think is better. We are thinking of taking our girls in a year or so, there are 4 of them so we wanted to start saving now. We haven't booked a cruise yet. But I just wanted to tell DH all my plans for saving the money up to go. Any advice will be great.

Happy Cruising:cool:

I would put the money in a saving or money market account.

Here is a thread from earlier today that explains Funship Dollars. Post #5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=546790&highlight=funship+dollars

Here is the other one:

Az_RednecksDW wrote: Post #10

This is how we did it and will be doing this for Oct.07. We paid for our trip in advance. Take your booking number on Carnivals site and use that number. Go to the gifts selection and order gift certificates, add your name but when it come to your home address put your booking number in that spot. They will email you a confermation number. I get paid weekly and this helped me save the money for the trip. We didn't use the credit card we had a deposit on our account even before we left Arizona. It worked well for us.( This way nothing could get to this money I was trying to save for the cruise):D I even got a $3.25 check left under our cabin door!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530039&highlight=putting+cash+sail+sign+account

Since you have not even booked, I dont know that I would use funship dollars. Im assuming you have enough saved and you can put down the deposit and want to save the rest until 2008?

Id still rather keep my own money for a year.

Breezy.....Go to carnivals home page. Hit Gifts. On the left click on gift certificates. They will ask for your info but for your home address put your booking number. They will send you and email and print the page and keep track of how much and when you get to the ship that money is already there. I have done this twice now and will continue to do this. It is an easy way for me to save the spending money for the cruise a little at a time.:cool:

. . . . . Then the money would be deposited to my S&S card. Does this work or will I just have problems. I also just thought about using a seperate savings account to save money for our cruise. What do you think is better. . . . .

Money in your own account in your own bank earning interest for you, IMHO, is better than money in Carnival's account earning interest for them. If you put your S&S charges onto a credit card, and you can hold off paying the card until several weeks after your cruise, you get an extra month's interest.

Putting your money onto a S&S account (instead of your bank account) before you leave is like paying Carnival 5% to hold your money for you - I don't get it (but I will get flamed for mentioning it!) :)

Money in your own account in your own bank earning interest for you, IMHO, is better than money in Carnival's account earning interest for them. If you put your S&S charges onto a credit card, and you can hold off paying the card until several weeks after your cruise, you get an extra month's interest.

Putting your money onto a S&S account (instead of your bank account) before you leave is like paying Carnival 5% to hold your money for you - I don't get it (but I will get flamed for mentioning it!) :)

It's not like you're really going to earn that much money. Let's assume that you want to have $500 in your S&S account and use the above system 6 months ahead of time (I realize they are not putting it all in at once but it makes the math easier). If you have a money market accout that is making 5% (which most don't) then you would have earned a whopping $12.50 in the six months before the cruise on that $500. You may say, "that is about 2 drinks on the cruise", and you would be correct. However, for some people saving money is difficult and if that $500 sat in their bank account for that period of time they would be more apt to spend it rather than save it and would have less to cruise on. So if you are the type that has trouble saving, then the above system is probably worth the $12.50 you wouldn't earn from interest just to make sure the money is there for your wonderful vaction!

It's not like you're really going to earn that much money. ....... So if you are the type that has trouble saving, then the above system is probably worth the $12.50 you wouldn't earn from interest just to make sure the money is there for your wonderful vaction!

True, true.

Although I don't see the difference in letting Carnival hold your money or letting the bank hold your money. Oh yes - the bank will give it back to you if you change your mind.

If anyone out there feels they lack the self-control and would like to send ME their money to hold for them, I'd be happy to oblige . . . . :D

Archived