Underwater photography

Tenga1899

So I just scored my Aquapac and am about to leave for the Bahamas in a few days, besides keeping the flash off, any other tips for that great underwater photo?? I have an Olympus SP-510UZ that has a lot of preset light settings, but I'm not experienced enough to manually adjust the camera yet. Just fishing for any hints. Thanks.

Here's my two pieces of advice:

First I would recommend using the flash, not sure who told you not to. It will bring out the colors and illuminate the subject without all the blue cast (unless your in less then 10 feet of water).

Second I always try and get as close to the subject as possible while still keeping your subject in focus. The closer you can be the less backscatter from particles in the water that will effect your lighting and focus.

Here is kind of the same advice from the Sea & Sea Website:

-Closer is better.

If you shoot from too far away, the subject will be an indistinguishable speck. The closer you are to your subject, the less water you shoot through, the fewer particles, the sharper and more colorful your picture. Most beginners shoot from too far. Get as close as the lens allows: as a general rule, three to four feet or closer.

-Don't get the blues.

Water absorbs the rays of sunlight that comprise color. As you descend in the water column, the warm hues of red, orange, yellow in the color spectrum are gradually lost. Pictures take on a monochromatic blue. To get bright, colorful pictures, you need artificial light.

Archived