Atlantis Submarine

ERG007

Hi, I was asking the same question few weeks ago...but today I can provide some answers.

I and my family have done this 'tour' on Atlantis twice. Once in St. Thomas and just two weeks ago in Grand Cayman. It is a different kind of experience to be on/ in a real submarine and to see the coral reefs at 100 to 120 feet depths ( the Atlantis is capable of going to about 500 feet but it only goes on your tour to about 120). But I will not do that again during the daylight hours.

As the submarine gets in the deeper waters.......the daylight that gets filtered through the water does not reflect / show the true colors of the sea life. Most of the colors disapear and everything looks sort of grayish.

All the 'advertising pictures' that 'you' will see to 'hook you' into booking the tour were taking at night.

So, if you want to see the real colors.... you have to see them at night, when the only source light is the submarine's light. They will run an experiment for you in the sub during the daylight tour: they will show you a plate that is painted red and ask you what color you see.......and you will only see 'gray'....but when they turn on the light inside the sub and keep the plate close to the sub's light source.....the plate will 'turn' red and you will see the 'proper real' color red.

So during the day time even that the real colors are missing but the experience, especially for first timers is interesting....and worth seeing it ....but if you want to see the colors.....book a night time dive if you are still in the port. Another option is the semi/sub which is not really a sub but a boat that will seat you about 6 foot under the water and let you see what a person snorkeling will see....a lot more colors.

If you decide to book this tour on the Atlantis, you might want to save some money, either by booking on the internet, or printing some coupons and using them at the time when you purchase your tickets at the Atlantis office. The Atlantis office in Grand Cayman is a very short 5 minute walk from the area that the tenders are stationed. If there are several ships in the port at the same time....perhaps purchasing your ticket on board the ship, even that more expensive, might be a better option.

In Grand Cayman at the ticket office, the tickets were $84 reg price for adults, .....or 79 buying them through the internet or 10% discount from the 84 if you present the coupon. Children 17 and younger were discounted additional 10dol. You may also reserve the tickets through the internet ahead of time but present the discount coupon at the time when you are paying for reserved tickets at the Atlantis office and the lower price will be applied.

If you need info where to get the coupons...I can provide that.

The tickets perhaps are expensive in comparison to other tours.....but the sub cost around 4 million so it has to pay for itself.

Wes

Thank you so much for all that info. Unfortunately, we are only going to be on the island until 4:00pm so we will not be able to book anything for the evening. I hope every goes well I am really excited. I already made a reservation with them. How do I get access to their coupon?

Hi, try to look on the web for Cayman Activity .. system will not allow me to post the link...you will find a lot of good information about Grand Cayman and many coupons that might save you some money.

I had with me both the coupon and the page about Atlantis (with the information about the 10% discount)...I also had with me the reservation information which I showed to the cashier at the Atlantis office. The cashier took the 'page with the .......10 % discount and adjusted the regular price to reflect that......this way the price was a little lower than what is being charged on the internet. They did not want to discount by 10% the internet price....they said it is either one (internet price) or the other ( regular price minus the 10% dis.) but it can not be combined

Bring your camera, do not use flash when taking pictures through the window ( it will reflect the flash back in your lens) but use the flash when taking pictures inside the sub (taking picture of someone with the background being the scenery outside visiable through the window).

Enjoy your cruise and your tour.

Wes

Archived