front facing jewel class cabins..question about the wind

hey everyone,

quick question..im going onto the pohawaii soon and the crew deck is at the very front of the ship. How is the wind in that area when the ships moving? I know it can get really windy in hilo and I would imagine that area would be very fast but anyone who stayed in a forward facing balcony cabin say anything about this? Once I leave I wont be on CC for a long time. Thanks to everyone who helped with questions in the past.

I have read that they lock the balconies while at sea on the front facing cabins due to the winds. Why not give the cruise line a call.
Maybe on the transatlantic cruises or in extremely heavy winds, but ours was never locked. We were in a forward-facing penthouse suite on the Star in February (Mexico), and we have friends who were in the same cabin but on the Pearl (Caribbean). All of us would LOVE to have those cabins again. They are terrific. We had no problem with wind, but we were sailing pretty much north/south, with the winds coming diagonally across the bow.

We saw quite a few crew sunning on the crew deck (which is below the railing and therefore out of the wind) and enjoying the hot tubs.

Have fun!

I have read that they lock the balconies while at sea on the front facing cabins due to the winds. Why not give the cruise line a call.

Wind is relative. If you are sailing north at 20 kts into a 10 kt southerly wind you will experience at relative 30kt wind....quite heavy. If sailing south you would not experience any wind.

Think about the front railings, and when they are closed or too windy to stand without getting your hat blown off. Same thing would be experienced in a forward facing balcony. So it will all depend on which way (and how heavy) the wind blows.

Im not even talking about the cabins I just mean the crew area at the front! Maybe thats sorta blocked though and thats why its so bad in the front..its all pushed up there.

All the same.... crew area, front railings, front facing cabins..... any place up front. Sailing into the wind it gets multiplied. Sailing with the wind it is nice and calm up front.

We were in an AC on the Dawn last October. There were always a few crew members out front enjoying the day. The wind was NOT a problem. If I could I would always have that cabin...I can't imagine having a better view anywhere else on the ship other than the aft.

Have a wonderful time.

Ciao,

W A W W

Archived