Can May Pearl to Alaska cruisers take notes for us?

hayesktrm

We are sailing in late July and since this is Pearl's first time to Alaska, I was wondering if we could ask questions and you lucky first time Pearl cruisers to Alaska could answer them when you get back?

Here are my questions:

1. Are the pools heated and are they actually warm enough to swim in if it's a bit chilly?

2. Do they have early 2 for 1 specials in the specialty restaurants?

3. When you went to Victoria, were the stores still open?

4. Which night was formal night...and was that lobster night?

5. What fun activities did you enjoy?

I am sure other people can add more questions and I'm sure I'll have even more :) .

Thanks and enjoy your cruise!!!

I am also going the 13-20 and will definitely keep you posted.

Darn I wish I knew before we went whether lobster night was formal night. We usually skip formal nights but I don't want to miss lobster!

We are on the August 19th sailing and, although I know I shouldn't wish my life away, I'm already getting excited. I am really looking forward to the reviews and all the useful information contained in them. To all who are sailing before us ..... have a fab time and look after the Pearl for us!!

formal night w/lobster was the 1st sea day...monday night. they are doing the same route the star did. the shows are 7:30 and 9:30 for the big productions shows. same show at each time....if they have a special entertainer, then that entertainer will have a night with only 1 show usually at 8:30. we would eat at 6:30 and get to the 9:30 show.

all times will be listed in the daily, each night we read it throughly.

in victoria the stores are open and busy. very different stores then you find in the other ports. very British, no jewelry stores and t-shirt shops every 10 ft. prices are not cheap..for the cheap t-shirts shop the other ports. victoria is very cool...street preformers to watch...the small boat harbor is very active. we had 3 ships in port..believe me..everything was open and busy.

from what we hear the 1/2 at the speciality dining can change. double check the daily to make sure of times and if offered. we had it every night for the early bird seating (6 to 6:30) remember that at cagney's (if they have it) that it does not included the higher end menu choices. cagney's has 2 menu prices...several items for $20 and some for $25 (lobster, surf and turf, porterhouse), the $25 items are NOT discounted.

all the ships are talent contests, karoke (we had great pros for this). family did the wine tasting and enjoyed that so much they were tipsey the rest of the day. big crowds for the trivia contest. we did bingo, just once....just don't like the electronic games. no tension with the games, everyone just sat there. most were looking out the windows, we had some of those dall's porpoise.

in victoria, if you aren't doing an excursions...don't plan on walking to the town's center (small boat harbor), take the shuttle/bus. it costs, but worth it. the walk is a long walk through neighborhoods...you don't see anything...and it's long. we were going to walk to save the money, but we would have been walking all night :mad: the shuttle drops off right where you need to be and you can use it to get back any time.

OceanDreaming2 -- I have to give you a bad time. Don't you mean you're on the 5/20 sailing of the Pearl?? If you're on the 5/13 sailing and I'm on the 5/20 sailing, we're going to have a hard time sharing that van rental :eek: .

Jen52683 -- I don't know what your previous cruise history is, but on NCL you don't need to miss lobster night if it corresponds with formal night. As long as you're still dressed "resort casual" you can eat in the main dining room and have lobster to your hearts' content, without being dressed up.

For everyone else, as noted above, I'm sailing on the 5/20 sailing. I've normally scanned the dailies when I get home, but I don't have any good way to post them. I can do what I've normally done and email them to you afterwards, or if someone more technology savvy wants to post them to a website, I'd be glad to participate in that venture. I know how to post them to webshots, but I've never been able to get them to come in clear enough there for it to be worthwhile. Any other suggestions?

As far as specific questions, I'll try to remember to print off this thread before we leave so that I can help with answers.

Getting very excited to be sailing!

formal night, on alaska cruises, can be anything from formal gowns and suits to running/work-out (sweat) suits. my avatar picture was taking on "formal" night last year. most people that were dressed up, were having formal portaits taken.

This thread is getting me SO excited about our trip in June!!!! I can't wait for reviews of the Alaska sailing.

And Toyz711 - thanks for the tip about Victoria! It's the only port we're not taking an excursion in, and we are the type to opt for walking, but this is a good tip so we don't waste the short amount of time we have there! :)

Toyz, maybe you can answer a question about Juneau...since it's a later port, is there a show that night? With our excursion, we'd probably get back to the ship around 7 or 7:30 then get cleaned up for dinner. I don't know how we'd get a show in there. :)

Thanks again for the tips everyone...and for fueling my excitement! :D

I am also going the 13-20 and will definitely keep you posted.

Darn I wish I knew before we went whether lobster night was formal night. We usually skip formal nights but I don't want to miss lobster!

Jen, we've been on 4 cruises to Alaska and the day after we leave (Monday in this case) has been "optional" formal night with lobster being served for dinner. Remember you don't have to dress formal to enjoy the lobster!

victoria

i don't have a good picture...the the ships docks in the big secure area. only one way to go..through the building and out the front. there are the bus/shuttles will be waiting. someone will be in front of them to collect the money. ours was a big double-decker bus, they waited until it filled..but that was only a few minutes. coming back, you catch it where they let you off. they didn't wait to fill up, just until another bus come up.

it's not confusing at all. i can't remember the cost...maybe $10 or 12 roundtrip pp? the cruiselines don't have anything to do with with, they run between both docks (right there together) and the small boat harbor.

we had a family dinner at cagney's at 6:30 that night, then went out and walked around the harbor area. since we weren't doing excursions, we weren't in a hurry. the street entertainers were very good. the shops are like what you find around parts of london. the whole area is very "old British" feel. very nice after all the jewelry stores and t-shirt shops in the other ports.

looking at my daily for juneau, that was the night they had a special entertainer...in this case a magic show...at 8:30. the nights they were late leaving ports, they had special show times, just check your daily.

we didn't do it, my SIL and her dad did...but everyone needs to do the "dancing heads"!!! FIL is very ill, we made him go on the trip last sept as last outing with the family. the tape of her with her dad is the funniest thing i have ever seen. if it's available, do it!!

This thread is getting me SO excited about our trip in June!!!! I can't wait for reviews of the Alaska sailing.

And Toyz711 - thanks for the tip about Victoria! It's the only port we're not taking an excursion in, and we are the type to opt for walking, but this is a good tip so we don't waste the short amount of time we have there! :)

Toyz, maybe you can answer a question about Juneau...since it's a later port, is there a show that night? With our excursion, we'd probably get back to the ship around 7 or 7:30 then get cleaned up for dinner. I don't know how we'd get a show in there. :)

Thanks again for the tips everyone...and for fueling my excitement! :D

It's me again, Star! In looking at our Daily's from last year, the night we left Juneau (all aboard by 9:30 PM for 10 PM departure), there was no show. At 9:30 in the Stardust Theater was "Family Feud".

We went to bed early for our early morning arrival in Skagway the next day. We actually docked at 5 AM, about an hour or two ahead of schedule, then watched the other 3 ships coming in and docking.

It's me again, Star! In looking at our Daily's from last year, the night we left Juneau (all aboard by 9:30 PM for 10 PM departure), there was no show. At 9:30 in the Stardust Theater was "Family Feud".

We went to bed early for our early morning arrival in Skagway the next day. We actually docked at 5 AM, about an hour or two ahead of schedule, then watched the other 3 ships coming in and docking.

Hey again Bruno! I think that'll be us...going to bed early. We're taking a pretty good hike in Juneau. Then we'll probably get cleaned up, go to dinner and hit the sack to be up for our 8-hour excursion in Skagway for a train ride and lots more hiking! I hope we don't sleep through Glacier Bay. :) hahaha Just kidding (though I did have a nightmare about that a couple months ago...I think that "nightmare" thread is on the Alaska board...haha).

:D

that just shows that they do change things around...

our daily show 9:30 Magical Showtime with Shawn Fargular...Stardust.

he was the guest entertainer for our cruise.

Yes, I guess they change the entertainment around from week to week or month to month. This was our schedule last year on the Star:

NCL Star Shows 2006

Sunday – 9:30 PM - Welcome Aboard Showtime

Monday (at sea) – 7:30 PM & 9:30 PM - Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Music of the Night

Tuesday (Juneau) – 9:30 PM – Family Feud

Wednesday (Skagway) – 8:00 PM & 9:45 PM – Jean Ann Ryan Company, It’s Fame

Thursday (Glacier Bay) – 7:30 PM & 9:30 PM – Magic of Shawn Farquhar

Friday (Ketchikan) – 7:30 PM & 9:30 PM – Jean Ann Ryan Company, Cirque Pacific

Saturday (Victoria) – 1:45 PM – Shawn Farquhar Close Up Magic

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the Pearl on the webcam. I tried to get my parents to drive by this afternoon on the way to my brother's house in Seattle, but I don't know if they had time.

I see the hotel next to the ship...is that the Edgewater?

Hope all you lucky cruisers are having a good time so far. It looks a little cloudy. We're all looking forward to hearing how it's going.

Just got off the Pearl this morning.

And hayesktrm, yes it is the Edgewater.

Anyway, loved the ship. Everything is so nice and new. The bathrooms are great. The best cruise shower I've ever had. Nice and roomy and with a glass sliding door. No shower curtain attacking you while you are in there. The beds are way comfortable and the comforters are so nice and fluffy. The food was good. Didn't try any of the pay restaurant we were only on the ship for two nights. My cruise was way to short. I was just figuring the ship out and had to leave. Only one thing I had trouble with and that was figuring out how to get from aft to forward. Some decks didn't go all the way through and was some what confusing. There should some maps you could fold up and put in your purse just to help out. Also some of the public areas were really warm. Not much ventilation in some areas. The magician was good and funny too. That was the only show we saw. Some folks don't follow the "no levis in the dining rooms after 5:30" and I thought that took away from the those of us that complied. They should really make those folks eat in the buffet. Drinks are expensive as expected. A double shot was 12 dollars. Pretty steep. I would love to spend more time on this ship. I enjoyed the Freestyle cruising. It is so nice to eat when you are hungry and eat where you want to, not where you have to. And this morning we got up when we wanted to, ate breakfast and then left the ship when we wanted to. No problems encountered. Can't wait to cruise on the Pearl again soon.

Just got off the Pearl this morning.

And hayesktrm, yes it is the Edgewater.

Anyway, loved the ship. Everything is so nice and new. The bathrooms are great. The best cruise shower I've ever had. Nice and roomy and with a glass sliding door. No shower curtain attacking you while you are in there. The beds are way comfortable and the comforters are so nice and fluffy. The food was good. Didn't try any of the pay restaurant we were only on the ship for two nights. My cruise was way to short. I was just figuring the ship out and had to leave. Only one thing I had trouble with and that was figuring out how to get from aft to forward. Some decks didn't go all the way through and was some what confusing. There should some maps you could fold up and put in your purse just to help out. Also some of the public areas were really warm. Not much ventilation in some areas. The magician was good and funny too. That was the only show we saw. Some folks don't follow the "no levis in the dining rooms after 5:30" and I thought that took away from the those of us that complied. They should really make those folks eat in the buffet. Drinks are expensive as expected. A double shot was 12 dollars. Pretty steep. I would love to spend more time on this ship. I enjoyed the Freestyle cruising. It is so nice to eat when you are hungry and eat where you want to, not where you have to. And this morning we got up when we wanted to, ate breakfast and then left the ship when we wanted to. No problems encountered. Can't wait to cruise on the Pearl again soon.

Thanks for the quick review, halfwhit! What type of cabin did you have? A few days ago someone posted the Pearl was having "azipod" problems. Then someone else posted it wasn't. To your knowledge, was the Pearl experiencing any type of mechical problems?

Welcome home and why not book a cruise to Alaska on the Pearl?!?!:)

Things have changed somewhat. The no jeans rule has basically been relaxed and you will not be turned away.

At the same time, the new signs outside the DR's on the Pearl specifically say "no track suits" so they're really trying to cut down on all the athletic/running wear that was showing up.

We really miss the Pearl. OceanDreaming2, enjoy your trip and come back and tell us all about it!:D

We booked an inside but they upgraded us to an outside porthole. :) That was nice. We've been on RCCL 8 times and never been upgraded to an outside. I did not care to look out of the porthole. We were so close to the water (deck 4) that the ship looked like it was going light speed. It made me kinda nausus looking at it from a distance.

The only problem we noticed mechanically was the toilet wouldn't flush one night. We called and it was a problem with 4 or 5 of the cabins on our side of the deck. Of course they fixed it right away and we had no other problems.

Alaska is on my list. Just don't have enough time and or money to do it all.

Wow, I just looked at the webcam from the Pearl and it looks SO beautiful. They must be just about to Juneau. This is getting me so excited!

Another question...do you know if the kids' clubs are open while we're in port? My teen son doesn't want to go into all the ports (although I will be forcing him to go to all except Victoria because he's been there before) and I don't want him just wandering around the ship if we're not there. Also, what kinds of activities do they have for the kids. I realize no one may be able to answer this until the summer, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Archived