Red Dog Saloon in Juneau

usnavywife

EZ :D

Only problem might be if you tender into Juneau (and I'm not sure if they even need to do that since they built the other dock a couple years ago)

-Monte

I think it's 10 am they open, and if you get the prime docking spot, you could almost hit it with a rock.

I sort of think of it as, "It's close enough that you can crawl back to the ship!" ;)

With very poor service, I might add. After being ignored for about 20 minutes (ok, they were busy, so we tried to be patient), a waitress went to a large group that had just come in at a table next to us. Needless to say, we just left. Found a lovely restaurant/bar around the corner, a lot less crowded and friendlier too! :)

With very poor service, I might add. After being ignored for about 20 minutes (ok, they were busy, so we tried to be patient), a waitress went to a large group that had just come in at a table next to us. Needless to say, we just left. Found a lovely restaurant/bar around the corner, a lot less crowded and friendlier too! :)

joanab ............do you know the name and location of the bar? Going 6/30 serenade of the seas. It sounds like a nice place!

When we docked in Juneau we had the dock furthest away from town, maybe a half mile walk to where all the other ships are. Most people on our ship took a shuttle in to town, I found it faster to walk. Even so, you can't miss the Red Dog, it's in the center of town, and it's not a big town. There are a few other bars around the back of the same block if you follow the road on the right side of Red Dog and then take the first left.

Believe me you can see the whole area in 15 minutes. It's really just Red Dog, a couple other bars/cafes, McDonald's, and then the same exact stores from every other port.

The Triangle and the Bar at the Alaskan Hotel are my two favorites. There's also a bar kittycorner to the Elks Lodge that gives you free 15 minutes of internet if you buy any drink (even a coke).

The only thing historic about the Red Dog is its name. They moved to the present location a few years back to take advantage of the tourist crowd (in more ways than one - the food was mediocre, the beer expensive, and the service unenthusiastic when I ate there last summer).

The Triangle and the Bar at the Alaskan Hotel are my two favorites.

I've never done the bar in the Alaskan (the wife did when she lived there) but we really like the Triangle. Nice to sit and talk to the locals. The Red Dog isn't one of our favorites (when the ships are in it's a tourist bar) but we often seem to grab a quick one there.

joanab ............do you know the name and location of the bar? Going 6/30 serenade of the seas. It sounds like a nice place!

Sorry, I don't remember, it's been a few years. But see puablo's response below you, you're bound to find something else nice quickly: "There are a few other bars around the back of the same block if you follow the road on the right side of Red Dog and then take the first left." :)

Archived