I've officially made myself crazy...

flitter306

...by reading all seven pages of the Miami hotels thread since I'm so unfamiliar with the area but really want to make an educated decision. I think I have it narrowed down to the IC, but I have a couple questions to make sure this hotel is what I'm looking for and I'm hoping some of you can help.

Is it within walking distance to the Bayside Market?

Will we be able to walk somewhere to purchase water/soda?

How far is it from the port? And how much would the cab fare be to port?

Is booking through lastminutetravel.com using the description mentioned in the other thread the most cost effective way to book?

Does this hotel have rooms with a nice view?

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Miami when we cruised last year, but we were a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the hotel was beautiful and the staff were great - but we had a terrible view of the bums under the bridge and all the construction. Nothing *seemed* to be in walking distance and the couple times we got a cab it took forever to get anywhere with the construction and rerouting. We would stay there again, but for our honeymoon we'd like something a little better.

TIA!

...by reading all seven pages of the Miami hotels thread since I'm so unfamiliar with the area but really want to make an educated decision. I think I have it narrowed down to the IC, but I have a couple questions to make sure this hotel is what I'm looking for and I'm hoping some of you can help.

Is it within walking distance to the Bayside Market? Yes, it is right next to the hotel.

Will we be able to walk somewhere to purchase water/soda? yes, there is a Walgreens on 1 SE 3rd Ave

How far is it from the port? And how much would the cab fare be to port? The port is literally 5 minutes away, cab fare should be cheap.

Is booking through lastminutetravel.com using the description mentioned in the other thread the most cost effective way to book? Many people have gottent his hotel through Priceline. I live here so I never book hotels.

Does this hotel have rooms with a nice view? Yes, I've stayed there twice for events and if you ask for a Bay view you can see the port and all of the ships.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Miami when we cruised last year, but we were a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the hotel was beautiful and the staff were great - but we had a terrible view of the bums under the bridge and all the construction. Nothing *seemed* to be in walking distance and the couple times we got a cab it took forever to get anywhere with the construction and rerouting. We would stay there again, but for our honeymoon we'd like something a little better.

TIA!

There is still quite a lot, if not more construction going on in downtown Miami. DT Miami is not really condusive for walking around, especially at night it becomes quite desolate. There are a few stores you can walk to but that's about it. Stick to Bayside and your hotel for the most part.

It's a shame they don't revitalize that area and make it more condusive to walking around at night. More on the lines of New York city. I've felt safer walking around at midnight after a show in New York than I've ever felt in downtown Miami and it's a shame. A great area.

We stayed at Marrott Biscayne Bay in Dec of 05, arriving 1 day prior to cruise. We took a taxi to Bayside and then had a bite @ the Hardrock. I was alone with 2 teenage girls and I'll be honest...I was not comfortable walkiing around at all.

We went to get a taxi cab back to hotel and the cab drivers were actually fighting over who was going to take us. None of them wanted to because it was such a short ride. We had planned to go to the 7/11 to pick up water ect. but just wanted to get straight back to the hotel.

We will be cruising out of Miami again in April 08 and this time we will stay in FLL. Biscayne Bay did have great views of the port but thats the only thing good I can say about it. I stay in alot of Marriott properties but did not care for the hotel and really uncomftable in that area. I feel much safer walking in Boston at night verses MIA.

This was just my experience. Fellow cruisers always stay at the Holiday Inn bayside and have loved it there. As I said, it will be FLL for us this time!

Happy cruising!!

HiYa WillB...just wanted to say hello from a fellow RI cruiser and I totally agree with your assessment of Miami. :)

Holiday Inn downtown is a good hotel for the one night stay before a cruise.

The reason for all of the construction in the area is becuase they are doing some gentrification in the downtown area. Relaly the idea is to make it like New York. We have a midtown Miami and downtown Miami. In a few years all of that area will be much better, including the public transportation, which currently SUCKS!

Archived