Cruising with 5.5 and 2.5 year old

rice5899

We were looking into either Carnival or Royal Caribbean. My husband and I have cruised on Carnival 2 times before the kids, so we were thinking about trying another cruise line.

But we wonder which would be best for the kids, activity wise. Please all advice welcome

You might want to consider Disney too. They have a great nursery for kids 12-weeks to 3-years old with age-appropriate toys and craft projects; and I know at least the Wonder added a splash pool so there is a place to play in the water for your younger child if not potty-trained. That is one of the tough things about RCI, supposedly no children in swim diapers are allowed in any of the pools.

Depending on how you feel on in-cabin babysitting though, RCI allows it and Disney, and I think Carnival too, do not.

We had a potty trained 2.5 yr old sail RCL and was allowed in the Adventure Ocean program. Some friends sailed 4 mo earlier with a child same age and they could not attend due to full ship and no extra space. RCL seems to have a ceiling on the # of children allowed in the program (that is actually a plus but it was not good for my friends). Sorry the NCl won't work. While I am not a big fan of NCL they do allow the 2 yr olds to ALWAYS take part. Carnival does likewise. Maybe, you all sould just say with Carnival for another yr then try RCL. I personally love the program they offer for the younger children. We have several teachers and docs in our family group. Everyone agrees with me on this point. Disney is costly and some of the younger children actually do not enjoy the bigger than life sized Princesses, Mickey, Goofey, etc. Best to wait a few years until all can enjoy it before spending extra for children too young to remember. Remember, all this is just IMHO. Have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We traveled in September on RCCL Explorer of the Seas with our Triplets who were 4 at the time. They had a great time. However they wanted no parts of the kids club. I wasn't real impressed with the kids swim area. There was a waterslide (that my husband had to go on with them because of the height requirement). There was not 1 swimming pool on the ship that the kids would stand in without being over there head (even in the kids area) with the exception of the kids slide area with was @ 6 inches deep.

We just booked on Carnival Victory for November (they will still be 5). They have a waterslide that you only have to be 42 inches to be on alone. I doubt my kids would want to go to the kids club alone again. They just wanted to stay with us and I really didn't have a problem with it. I planned a family vacation for us all to be together so that is what I got!

No doubt, go on Carnival so they can enjoy Camp Carnival TOGETHER. They would both be in the 2-5 group. They change diapers (if needed). You get a pager if the kids need you (on RCCL they gave phones...I went through TWO phones and neither worked)

My 3 (then 2 year old) enjoyed Camp Carnival MUCH more than she enjoyed Adventure Ocean when she turned 3.

Older kids that can handle the change of activities every 15 minutes do better in Adventure Ocean than 3 year olds who don't handle transition well. :(

Archived