There has to be a catch

cooperbabe

The Carnival Liberty European sailings next year are really, really cheap (well, as far as cruises go ;) ) Is Carnival not expecting to draw a big European crowd? And their transatlantic crossing cruise is unbelievably priced......I realize it's hard to judge how it will be since Carnival hasn't done those before, but I'm leaning toward doing the transatlantic cruise since I've always wanted to do one but was always a little afraid that the crowd would be a lot, lot older (not a problem exactly, but when you're with the same group for over 2 weeks you like to think that there will be some people your own age)

Any thoughts about this?

I am assuming (I know, never assume) that they are trying to draw people into trying it. I thought the prices were great too. I enjoy port days too much to do a Transatlantic but have been keeping my eye on the European one. Since this is there first time in this market, they need something to draw people from the other lines over. Price always works for me! :D

Cooperbabe,

I think I know where you saw that. :D

I'm interested also. 16 days for $1,005 in a 4A on the new LIBERTY leaving Civitavecchia (Rome). UNBELIEVABLE ! ! :confused:

Barcelona, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca, Funchal (Madeira), St Maarten to disembark in Fort Lauderdale. Can't beat the itinerary.

To answer your question. Longer cruises don't tend to hit the Carnival demographic very well. Many can't get away for that long and they do cost considerably more money (with the air to Rome and air home from Fort Lauderdale). But cruising on a new ship for $66 a day ? Come on. Wish I could plan ahead for this one. :)

One would have to be "Kuki" not to take this cruise. :D

I had an email from my Carnival PVP last week about the European cruises. Sound almost too good to be true......but I just can't take that long a cruise, time-wise.

I think possibly, because of older folks (yeah, like me), being retired and having more time, there just might be a sway towards an older clientele.??

My TA and friend called me and told me about this cruise. Oh I wish I could do it but I can't. She quoted us $3400 for a suite on the labor day 2005 sailing.

She's going, along with her parents and in-laws and her sister with DH. She invited us because she knows we'd love a European cruise but next year I already have a vow-renewal cruise planned and even $1550 for an interior room is too much for my other relatives.

Gary..actually I got the e-mail from Carnival and contacted my TA about it..just for "fun" LOL All I know is when I was quoted something around $2500 for a cat 11 for a 16 day cruise I about fell out of my chair!

Especially when other European cruises I was looking at were running around that price for either a balcony or oceanview and those were only 10 days!

actually, I've done some pricing of my own, and I'm hard pressed to find a transatlantic that's as good of a deal......most non-Carnival transatlantic cruises are roughly that price, yes...but they're also 7 or 10 days. The cruise the OP is referring to is 16 days! Wowzers..that is great!

The Carnival Liberty European sailings next year are really, really cheap (well, as far as cruises go ;) ) Is Carnival not expecting to draw a big European crowd? And their transatlantic crossing cruise is unbelievably priced......I realize it's hard to judge how it will be since Carnival hasn't done those before, but I'm leaning toward doing the transatlantic cruise since I've always wanted to do one but was always a little afraid that the crowd would be a lot, lot older (not a problem exactly, but when you're with the same group for over 2 weeks you like to think that there will be some people your own age)

Any thoughts about this?

I got Celebrity Constallation and Galaxy for under $1000 for 14 days. Also, Costa for around the same. Too bad I can't tell you where I found it. If you are looking for next year, you may have to wait a few months to get the better rate, but this years are pretty low.

Gary..actually I got the e-mail from Carnival and contacted my TA about it..just for "fun" LOL All I know is when I was quoted something around $2500 for a cat 11 for a 16 day cruise I about fell out of my chair!

Especially when other European cruises I was looking at were running around that price for either a balcony or oceanview and those were only 10 days!

You're absolutely right, Cooperbabe. That price sounds more like a 10-day cruise not a 16-day, which it is. :D

My source was a group cruise on another website showing $2,575 for a Category 11 (all port and taxes incl) and a $100 per cabin shipboard credit.

I could handle an inside ($1,005) 4A or even an outside ($1,175) 6A, but almost afraid to ask the group leader what a SOLO would cost. :D

I can't even get airfare pricing on Sidestep that far in advance, but use like dates to get some kind of an idea. I've never been to Europe, so this would be an experience of a lifetime for me. Since I almost always cruise last minute, this would involve major planning and strateegery. :D

As COTTON posted these cruises due tend to have an older clientele. Although, like Cotton, that wouldn't be a problem for me. :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right, Cooperbabe. That price sounds more like a 10-day cruise not a 16-day, which it is. :D

My source was a group cruise on another website showing $2,575 for a Category 11 (all port and taxes incl) and a $100 per cabin shipboard credit.

I could handle an inside ($1,005) 4A or even an outside ($1,175) 6A, but almost afraid to ask the group leader what a SOLO would cost. :D

I can't even get airfare pricing on Sidestep that far in advance, but use like dates to get some kind of an idea. I've never been to Europe, so this would be an experience of a lifetime for me. Since I almost always cruise last minute, this would involve major planning and strateegery. :D

As COTTON posted these cruises due tend to have an older clientele. Although, like Cotton, that wouldn't be a problem for me. :rolleyes:

The good thing about this itinerary is that you get a few stops in Europe. You usually end up with a stop in the Canary Islands, a stop in the Caribbean and that is all. If you want to make the airfare worth it be sure to stay a few days and check out Italy. Although a little dirty, it is a great place!

As for the older passengers. I had the chance to do a full transit PC sailing in April and I was probably the youngest person on board. It was my best trip and I met the best people from these boards. We are actually having a reunion get together at the end of the month. Having the older clientele makes conversation much more interesting as they have had so much more experience with life.

By the way, my quotes above were for an inside cabin.

I would love to do this European cruise in October, I just don't know if I will have enough annual leave saved up by then. I think I will be using it all up by this December. We will be taking a week long cruise this October or November, then going home ( West Coast ) for Christmas with the my folks, so we'll see if I can go almost all of 2005 without using much of my leave ( I get 12 hours a month) so if I can combine this cruise with a fed. holiday, I might be able to make it.

I too was a little concerned about the age factor. We'll be 30 by the time this cruise comes around and I am hoping that there will be quite a few people in the 25-40 range. Also, I don't know if I can talk my husband into it. He promised his cousins in Lithuania that we would visit, so unless we can combine the visit to Lithuania with this cruise, then I doubt he will agree to it. Maybe we can convince the cousins to come on the cruise with us!

Archived