Honfleur or Rouen?

I am sorry if this has been asked, but I don't seem to be able to navigate the search option. Has anyone been on either of these two excursions from Le Havre? We are going on Princess but most cruises use the same local tour operators so any answer will be welcome. We were wondering which of the two tours would be better or more scenic or more memorable.. Thanks pj

Hi, not sure why you are having problems searching but do try again.

If you used the "SEARCH" option last time, try using SEARCH THIS FORUM instead. Remember you need to be logged on for this.

All you do is look next to your thread title along to the right. Next to the number of replies is the box which shows how many "hits" your thread has attracted. Follow this column upwards and SEARCH THIS FORUM is right there.

By using it in turn for Rouen, Honfleur and Le Havre, lots of previous posts and replies will pop up. Reading through them would perhaps help you decide.

This is because some of the replies will be found in threads which are perhaps headed up as Le Havre, the port you would be docked in.

Apart from your Princess ship tours, its extremely easy to visit both by public transport, bus to Honfleur, train to Rouen. You also have the dockside option of taxi tours. In the previous posts you should find lots of info on taxi tours, including a list of prices for last years taxi tours. These leave dockside right next to the Tourist Office desk in the terminal. The tourist people are extremely helpful and in the past have given out timetables for Honfleur buses.

A taxi to the train and bus station, next to each other should cost no more than approx €10.

Both are lovely places. Deciding which could be tough. Maybe look at online photos?

Thanks for your reply. I have tried searching again, this time with more luck. I must have been doing something wrong. There does seem to be a lot of info out there and I guess we are just going to have to decide which of the two places would be better for us on thst day. I think perhaps the shorter of the two will be what we will pick. It will be our first port and we will have only arrived in England the day before after a long night flight, so we will be a little jet lagged and probably not up to too long a day. That being said, you never know how being on a cruise might give you energy you didn't know you had!!

• 2 weeks later...

We did both on our Princess cruise. The 1/2 day ship's tour to Rouen was wonderful and gave us a nice drive through the countryside.

After we got back to the ship we took a short taxi ride over to Honfleur and explored on foot for an hour or two. Our taxi driver waited for us and then took us up to the top of the hill where there is a lovely little chuch overlooking the harbor. (Monet did a painting of it).

Edinburgher - excellent post - it's frustrating when you see people who care enough to do some research before a trip not taking advantage of the wealth of info on the Ports of Call boards. I keep advising "use the Search This Forum" tool, but, unlike you, didn't have the patience to post such clear and thorough instructions or the brains to realize that people might not know you have to be logged in to use it.

I'm always amazed at the patience of regular posters on the 3 sub-forums of the Europe board who are willing to take the time to answer the same questions over and over. IMHO, the expert knowledge available here should be requested to clarify and elaborate on points not found or understood after basic research.

While I'm venting - 3 pet peeves along these lines

1) Thread titles that don't specify the port eg. "Where do ships dock"

2) Ridiculously broad (and IMHO, rude) questions like "Is there anything to do or see in ____"

3)returning to the topic of this thread - misspelling Le HaVRe and call it Le HaRVe (I've even heard captains do this on PA announcements!!)

- therefore, to pj-atsea - yes there's lots about Honfleur and Rouen on this board, and you'll find even more if you search the misspelling of Le Havre!!

It's easy to take the train to Rouen or the bus to Le Harve.

Shorexes are very overpriced and restrictive.

Thanks everyone, I think we will just take the Honfleur excursion. Then we call always look around Le Hehavre for a bit after, maybe get lunch somewhere there. If anyone has any restaurant recommendations, it would be nice. Thanks pj

Archived