Which side Summit to Hawaii

sallycruiser

It totally doesn't matter as far as I can tell from my two trips to Hawaii. They use both sides in ports. I'm always indifferent about what is out my window. I like looking at the water and the city/dock/port equally. Also, during the crossing, there is nothing out there except water.

Since the Pacific Ocean looks the same from both sides of the ship, the only difference you might consider is that the afternoon sun will be mainly on the south side of the ship So if you want sun going, pick port, but you will not have it returning. Fall/Winter sun is always lower toward the south. And in the islands, no difference since you will be sailing between islands at night.

If the ship is sailing past the volcano at night, pick the side that will face the volcano. The views from our balcony were spectacular. Other than that, one side gets the sun going, the other on the way back and it is shared on the islands.

The current Summit itinerary looks like the starboard side would have the view. In December 2004, Infinity sailed by the volcano unannounced. The view was from the starboard side. In November 2005 the captain didn't do a pass by the volcano.

Regards

We sailed on Summit last October and the itinerary had us viewing the volcano at night as we sailed from Hilo to Kona. Our cabin and balcony were on the starboard side and we had wonderful views of the volcano. Whichever side is better would likely depend on the itinerary and which direction you would be sailing around the island. Sailing from LA to Hawaii, it didn't much matter which side you were on.

Archived