Prescriptions if not flying

madelinerose

In 4 cruises I've never brought the actual prescription bottle for anything we take on a regular basis. I always pack one larger container of everything from aspirin to pepto, etc. with prescriptions as well and never had any issues. I've also never had a 'must have' though so if that's an issue you might be better safe than sorry.

My DH takes 21 oral meds and I take 7, we travel all over the world, 4 International trips and 4 cruises a year and we have always taken our meds in the daily dose containers with copies of back up scrips from the Dr. My DH also has to carry needles for shots and has a letter from his Dr. saying he needs them. Never have we had a problem....jean

:D Just a note from a pharmacist, please keep your meds in the original bottles :D .

Several reasons:

You might need to go to the ship MD and he/she will need to know all your current meds. Have the bottles and they can read the labels.

The med bottles are light resistant and mostly airtight. Some meds break down when exposed to light or humidity. Don't keep them in the bathroom (steamy!). Keep them in the vanity.

Some meds do not "mix" if you put them together. Especially capsules. They will "melt" to other capsules if they get around the wrong ones.

A cruise is not the place to find you mixed or stored your meds wrong! They don't work and you don't play!

If you are stopped by the officials (of any kind), you will have a lot less to explain if the meds are in "official" containers.

Ok, I'll stop now, you get the point! A good note to end. If you go to your pharmacy they can run extra labels of your meds. Ask them to put the new labels on small vials. That way you have good containers and they take up less space! Happy and Healthy cruising!

OK, I was happy folks were saying it was OK to pack your pill organizer and now a pharmacist says no.... My problem is that I get my scrips mail order and 90 days at a time... One of them is 4 pills a day and others are 2 so the bottles are ABSOLUTELY HUMONGOUS!! Can I bring a sheet (receipt-like paper) that proves what I am carrying, I will NOT want to lug those bottles. Seriously, one of them is bigger around than a soda can! :eek:

Sorry to burst your bubble :rolleyes: . Like someone else said it is better to be safe than sorry! A few other ideas:

Try calling the mail order company and see if they will send you smaller bottles with a copy of your label on them.

Or

Ask them if they will send you a medication profile so you have the names, strengths, and directions of your meds.

If you ever filled the Rxs locally (before you sent them off to mail order), ask the local pharmacy to print you a label from that old fill. They may want you to bring the meds in to make sure the right med goes in the right bottle (they are liable if meds are in wrong bottles), but they should be able to do it if the Rx was 2 years or less old.

If not any of the above, at the very least keep capsules and tablets apart and make sure they are in light and air resistant containers. Only exception is NEVER remove nitroglycerin tabs or capsules from their glass containers (the drug leaches to plastic).

Give a few of these a try, if it does not work just make sure you have a good med list and are careful where you store the meds (watch heat, light, and humidity). Have fun and good luck! Sorry again to stress you out, but I do know drugs...HA! :p

We have had no problems, or even heard of any problems, but.....

I would still vote to take them in original containers - just in case.

I think it could also depend a LOT on the type and/or quantity of drugs. A bottle of allergy med's may not be looked at the same as a bottle of pain meds or other 'controlled' drugs. We take ours in original containers with labels, which also gives us peace of mind that should the unexpected happen and a doctor needs to know in a hurry what we are taking, and the exact strength, it is right there.

also, the U.S. State Dept shows:

"Please leave medicines in their original, labeled containers. These precautions make customs processing easier. ..... Travelers have innocently been arrested for drug violations when carrying items not considered to be narcotics in the United States. " from: http://travel.state.gov/travel/yourtripabroad.html

Not meaning to scare anyone, just a reminder to use common sense, and be responsible for your health and safety.;)

OK, I was happy folks were saying it was OK to pack your pill organizer and now a pharmacist says no.... My problem is that I get my scrips mail order and 90 days at a time... One of them is 4 pills a day and others are 2 so the bottles are ABSOLUTELY HUMONGOUS!! Can I bring a sheet (receipt-like paper) that proves what I am carrying, I will NOT want to lug those bottles. Seriously, one of them is bigger around than a soda can! :eek:
jdecker2000...I have the same situation. I don't use the local pharmacy. I use mail order only, with the large, multivitamin-sized, white opaque bottles. I'd have to take 4 of them and they'd take up tons of room. My local pharmacist will not give me bottles and labels for scripts I do not have filled with her.

Will they actually dump the pills - I use NO capsules - out? How do they know what they are? They could be vitamins, which I also take, for all they know. Also, I am not travelling abroad, just to Key West & the Bahamas. I take no narcotics, only allergy meds.

Any more info? Thanks

If Immigration isn't sure what your pills are, you can bet they won't release you until they ARE sure. I have had plain aspirin taken away from me at the US/Canada border and dumped because it wasn't in the original bottle. I had a few in my purse wrapped in a tissue. :o Oranges too but that's a different story. :D

Beth

Labeled pill bottles could have anything in them unless they are sealed like when new. Going to take a note from the doctor with us stating what pills hubby takes and put them in an organizer.

Jayne

PS I am not taking the huge vitamin pill bottles with me. That is nutts.

Archived