Galveston Transportation Question

Here I go trying to make a complicated questions simple...

We are cruising out of Galveston in Auguston. Texas happens to be my home so we are fying up a couple of days early to visit relatives. I plan on renting a car out of IAH and here is where it gets a little complicated...

My first thought is to rent the car and keep it parked while we cruise and then return it to the airport after the cruise, but theat seems excessive. So I wonder can you

1. Rent a car at IAH and drop off in Galveston without a one way charge, and then rent anther car once the cruise is over? or,

Can you drop off at Hobby (or IAH) and catch a shuttle between Galveston and the airport before and after the cruise...or...

Maybe others have done this and may have some suggestions...

it just seems a waste to have a rental car parked for a week...

(We are going to Part Arthur and there are very limited options)

Any suggestions are appreciated

There is a car rental (Enterprise?) that has a place to drop it off on a Sunday and drop the keys in a slot. I read about it on the Gulf Port Deparures thread, you might check there.

I drove in. I would not pay for parking all week plus the extra cost of a rental for a week myself.

I live in Texas too, so I drive to Galveston.

It appears that because of the way we are structuring the trip it will be cheaper to rent the car for the full trip. (go figure)

Seems like I heard there is a hotel that will allow you to park for free during the cruise (or was that in Orlando...hmmmm)

Is there a place in Galveston that you can park the car for free?

There are quite a few hotels that will let you park free and will also take you to the pier and pick you up just start looking for hotels on the internet.

I checked for someone once about picking up a car to drop off in Galveston. They told me they charged a drop off fee. I checked with another, they did not charge the fee. I can't remember which one though.

Check the main ones Enterprise, Avis, Hertz

We tried the car rental bit, one way. It worked moderately well. There was a pretty high drop off fee, AIRC. The rental place had a shuttle to the port which was a big help as the port is a total madhouse.

On a previous trip we had booked a limo from the airport to Galveston. That costs only a little bit more, and I really think it is the best way to go!!

Then we booked the ship's transfers back. This works great.

Check our report at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/wcarib.html

for more details.

Archived