Norovirus at home

Seayalater

Two outbreaks in the Washington, DC area in the past six months - both at major hotels chains (a Hyatt and a Hilton). It actually occurs more frequently ashore than on cruise ships, but just isn't reported as "fervently".:(

We had a couple of big outbreaks in the hospital where I work and another local hospital this past winter, and they were reporting it all over the news. But someone 8 states away probably isn't going to care about that:rolleyes: so it's only local news.....

Noro is a pitfall of close quarters: cruise ships, nursing homes, college dorms. Sorry your daughter has Noro at school. I hope she is able to recover quickly and not lose too much class time. Did she go to the clinic for some meds? I hear it gets better much faster with meds. from the doctor.

No. her Dr didn't give her anything except a not to miss 2 days of finals (figures!)

He said since her lymph nodes were swollen he didn't recommend any antibiotics, unless she was feeling worde on Wednesday.

Why do they give shots on board ships?

So to all those who think it is just a cruise-related illness you can rest assured it is not. Luckily we don't sail for a month.
I'm sorry your daughter has it but the only people who think that Norovirus is cruise-related are the media. Ask any teacher or someone who works with large groups of people and they'll tell you in a heartbeat that far more people get sick at home than on a cruise from Norovirus.

No. her Dr didn't give her anything except a not to miss 2 days of finals (figures!)

He said since her lymph nodes were swollen he didn't recommend any antibiotics, unless she was feeling worde on Wednesday.

Why do they give shots on board ships?

Missing finals. Ouch. I don't personally know about the shots, but have read over and over on these boards about people receiving a shot from the medical center and feeling better faster.

yeah around thanksgiving my youngest niece had it and although 2/3 days later we all had it and passed it around. I thought we had bad food at first. fun fun. It was amazing to see how differently it affected different people. I was lucky and had it very shortly while it lasted a few days for my boyfriend.

Few days? Yikes. I'm undecided whether I like how my body reacts or not. Mine typically only lasts less than 24 hours. However, it's severely debilitating for me. I usually end up sleeping a few hours at the foot of the toilet cuz I can't make it farther than a few feet. However, once that nite is through, I'm usually up and about the next day. But ohhh, what a bad several hours it is. Can't imagine a few days like that.

Few days? Yikes. I'm undecided whether I like how my body reacts or not. Mine typically only lasts less than 24 hours. However, it's severely debilitating for me. I usually end up sleeping a few hours at the foot of the toilet cuz I can't make it farther than a few feet. However, once that nite is through, I'm usually up and about the next day. But ohhh, what a bad several hours it is. Can't imagine a few days like that.

didn't mean to mislead he was done with the worst of it within 24 hours but it lingered in him much longer than me. I was up and about (in my apt only) by that night. He had to take off from work to run to the bathroom an extra day (TMI probably) and finally became completely normal after like 2 days. My mom barely was affected and my dad and cousin escaped it completely. My sister, her husband and the other two kids also got it. It was a mess.

And, it's mandatory that cruiselines have to report it. I doubt we hear much about the "on land" outbreaks.

Two outbreaks in the Washington, DC area in the past six months - both at major hotels chains (a Hyatt and a Hilton). It actually occurs more frequently ashore than on cruise ships, but just isn't reported as "fervently".:(

I don't know if this is true or not but a friend of mine says they give you a shot on the cruise ship of anti nausea medication so you don't throw up in the toilets as they cannot handle the extra "mass" :confused:

By the time you see the medical staff it's more than likely that you have already thrown up in the toilet and have had a bout or two (or three, four, five) of diarrhea. This isn't something that creeps up slowly on you, one minute you're feeling okay and the next you're in the bathroom - where you'll probably stay for quite awhile. So the likelihood of getting an anti nausea shot are slim and none.

Hi all,

2 of my 3 kids and myself just got over this this week. Last Friday I took my son to the hospital ER for stitches under his chin and Saturday night I was up with him all night with all the symptoms. My middle daughter came down with it Wed and I started feeling the effects on Thrus at work and had it full force on Friday (lost 6lbs). My middle daughter finally went back to school today, she was vomiting from Wed until Sunday. Even with all the precautions I took I still came down with it. The kids were confined to their rooms and when I entered I had my mouth and nose covered and after leaving their rooms the first priority was to wash my hands.

It is everywhere and very hard to avoid. I had watched a program on viruses and a guy from the CDC on the program said the best way to avoid it is to constantly wash your hands. He said that singing a round of Happy Birthday or 2 verses of Old McDonald will wash away approximately 98.9% of the virus then to follow up with a sanitizer. I love the sanitizer on the ships because right away you can smell the amount of alcohol content. My last cruise I cringed with the amount of women that left the bathrooms WITHOUT washing their hands. That is just disgusting. It is a shock to me when people knowingly walk around feeling ill with this virus and infect others just so they can try to enjoy their vacation or better yet the parents that send their children back to school right away knowing they are still contagious.

Oh boy did this thread get me started.

Remember WASH WASH WASH those hands!!!

I "googled" NoroVirus outbreaks in Michigan and learned that there have been many cases of the virulent virus throughout the state in recent years. Some outbreaks were reported on local news if the cases were in metro-Detroit (restaurants, schools, nursing homes, etc.).

Noro doesn't just happen on cruiseships. Link to information about NoroVirus outbreaks:

http://www.noroblog.com/

Chris

I noticed on the campus announcements for the college I attend as a graduate student that there's something going around and around among the undergraduate resident student population. It's being called the gastro-intestinal blues but I think it's noro. So glad I'm a graduate - go to class and go home keeps me away from those wicked germs.

ihatethecold - we missed each other by one week, hubby and I are sailing this coming week on the CP, have fun!

I just weathered my first Rochester, NY winter and I can't wait to soak in some of the Caribbean sun! :D :D :D

Archived