Is Spirit a new or an older ship??

newyork

The Norwegian Spirit should be considered a newer ship, although it's fast approaching 10 years in age. Assuming that you consider built for Freestyle Cruising as the dividing line between newer and older ships.

The Spirit was the first Freestyle ship built, as the SuperStar Leo, in the world. Although the Norwegian Sky, now the Pride of Aloha, was the first Freestyle ship for NCL.

Ships that have hull art should be considered newer ships for a while longer. NCL older ships, those without hull art, struggle with Freestyle Cruising. Once NCL gets rid of all of its older ships, then we should re-address what feature should seperate older and newer ships. At that time, whether NCL considers it a generation 1, 2, or 3 Freestyle ship will probably be that seperator.

The Spirit was accepted by Star Cruises in late 1998, but she didn't start service in Singapore until early 1999, I would not consider her a new ship, as she is approaching her prime. But she is the first freestyle built ship. When she was completed, she was the tenth largest ship in the world. Now she isn't one of the top 20 When she was built ships her size was considered Mega sized. The newer 6 ships of the Star class are considered Panamax sized ships, and ships larger than Panamax size are considered Suiper Mega ships.

So in answer, I would say she is approaching her prime. Middle aged.

The Spirit is not new and not mega big but she's a unique ship. Having been built for the asian market, she's a little different from what were used to. The differences are so subtle you don't notice them unless you really look. This was my favorite ship as far as decor. The ship is asian in it's decor which makes it beautiful and unique. Yes, she is showing some signs of age, but i'm glad I got got the chance to sail on her.

Archived