What to do in Kona?

theeyegal

We will be sailing on POA leaving June 30th, and will be in Kona on July 4th. I was wondering whether to rent a car, or if there are attractions/beaches within walking distance. Any advice from those who have been there/done that?

Kona is great for water sports, such as snorkeling. I was on the April 30 POH cruise (will post a review later), and we did the Kimanu Dolphin Sail and Snorkel excursion, which was excellent, and I very highly recommend! Other people have suggested other snorkeling excursions. If you check out NCL's shore excursions, that should give you some good ideas.

If you go to the Hawaii section of the ports of call you will probably find all kinds of info. I have read that there are alot of shops within walking distance of the pier. We are renting a car because my DD and I are swimming with the dolphins at a hotel.

I'm a big coffee addict so when I was in Kona I visited two coffee plantations...one modern and functioning and the other a museum based around a Japanese family's coffee plantation in the early 20th century. I thought this was really cool. Also, in Kona, right near the dock is the summer palace of the Hawaiian Royal Family.

Hope you have a great time.

Hi theeyegal,

The excursions to the coffee plantations were arranged through NCL, so we took a motorcoach their from the ship. Not sure about public transportation, but I don't remember going very far.

Can you get to the coffee plantations by walking or public transport, or do you need to rent a car?

No, you can't. You'll need to rent a car. Here's a website with a very good coffee touring map and loads of information.

http://www.konacoffeefest.com/drivingtour.html

I should mention that there are several places in Kona along Ali'i Dr. where you can taste/buy Kona coffee, but these are just shops with tasting and not the farms.

beachchick

Captain Zodiac Snorkel through NCLA has received RAVE reviews all over this board. If you search the Hawaii board for it, you will find plenty of input.

With it being a tender port, we decided with book something through the ship so we wouldn't have to hassle with tender passes, etc. to get off. We're on the POH and in Kona on Friday 7/6 and greatly looking forward to Captain Zodiac.

Happy Sailing!

I'd say Kona is a best port of all to just wing-it (if you're okay with that). This is what we did and it was our best day! There were TONS of excursions offered off the pier at heavily discounted prices (everything you can imagine). We decided to rent scooters and just drove down the coast - had a blast. Then decided to jet ski and saw dolphins - even better!

So if you're not sure on anything, you'll definately figure it out when you get there - lots offered!

Archived