Glass Blowing Shops in Murano??

Can anyone recommend a Glass Blowing Shop in Murano?

Just pick one...they are all about the same or if you do the "free" boat trip to Murano (which I don't suggest) they will take you to one.If you go on your own you can window shop before picking one.If you don't want to big sales pitch and just wan to look at the glass for sale there are some very nice shops in Venice..look for the sign in their windows that say they are legit.

They are all about the same. We did take the free water taxi ride over (that was fun and free). It was amaizing the stuff they had in the show rooms. Be prepared for the sales pitch... its at all the factories. We bought some small items in the cheap area by the exit. We walked around the rest of the island, then took the waterbus back to Venice.

We will be on the Carnival Freedom in Venice on July 3rd and 4th. We have a two hour walking tour on the morning of the 4th from 9 to 11 a.m. The ship leaves at 3 pm on the 4th. Will we still have time to see the glass factories on Murano after our walking tour or it that cutting it too close?? We already have plans for the 3rd so the 4th will be our only opportunity.

Unfortuantely, I don't think you will have time to visit Murano :(. As I recall, the vaporetto from San Marco to Murano is about an hour trip each way. You could possibly hire a private water taxi to take you there, wait for you and then deliver you directly to your ship, but that would still be a rushed and very expensive trip.

I'd recommend that you spend your last few hours enjoying Venice instead. Just don't cut it too close in getting to your ship...it's very easy to get lost in Venice, which is part of it's charm EXCEPT when you can hear your ship's horn in the distance, as it leaves without you!

Ciao, Carla

That's what I was afraid of. Do you know how late we would be able to go there if we did it the day before. As I said, we have other plans, but depending on how late they stay open, maybe we can still make it.

Most of the glass factory shops were not open on Sunday when we were there, but the Murano tour and shop was open-we didn't find that anyone was pressuring us to buy anything at all. i had planned to buy wine glasses, so we had to ask for help when we decided on a pattern. not sure what other people's experiences were, but we browsed-chandeliers were amazing-and had a great time. we took the water taxi on our own, but if i remember correctly-it was two years ago-we spent 3 hours on that adventure. If you are pressed for time, you will find many beautiful glass pieces in the main areas of Venice at the different shops. not quite the same, but you'll get a good idea of what glass is available there. we did buy wine glasses and a water pitcher at Murano, and negotiated a price that we were content with. then the glassware was shipped here to the states, intact, with the 13th wine goblet as promised.

Archived