My Baby is Cruising the Holiday

My oldest adult DD has booked a 5 day cruise on the Holiday. She has 5 cruises under her belt with dear mom and dad so this is her first without supervision. I am so excited for her (wished she would have remember that I paid for her first 5 and would have returned the favor.:confused: )

As experienced first time cruisers, what advice would you give to her?

Guest YesitDonna

It sounds to me that shie is already an experienced cruiser.. what advise should she need?

My kids next cruise will be #5. They know the do's and donts. Now you get to see how well you taught her, Im sure you will be happy. I would be very worried if I never took mine and sent them off on there own. I hope too one day my kids pay for me but I don't think I will ever see it. By the time mine get married they should be Platinum at two cruises a year.

CorbinCatFan,

Hey, my parents live in Corbin too!

I would tell her to watch her surroundings, and be aware (just like at home), but most of all have a good time. The best vacations we have had (except going to Corbin, of course) have been on a ship.

It can be relaxing, exciting, and fun all at once.

I would tell her, also, she might get lonely without you!

Brenda

My oldest adult DD has booked a 5 day cruise on the Holiday. She has 5 cruises under her belt with dear mom and dad so this is her first without supervision. I am so excited for her (wished she would have remember that I paid for her first 5 and would have returned the favor.:confused: )

What?

Is she:

a) 1st time cruiser: ie: is this her first cruise?

or

b) experienced cruiser: ie: is this her 6th cruise?

If Mom & Pop have that many cruises under their belts too, they would be in the BEST position as parents and as experienced cruisers to give their daughter advice!! ;)

I really don't think that there is anything you should be confused about! ;)

Happy cruising to daughter, Mom & Pop :D :)

I would love to take my mommy and daddy on a cruise!! I've begged them for a few years now (I've only been financially independent/out of college for a few years!) to allow me to fund our family vacation, but they keep refusing!! They said they can't leave our dogs alone, or with a sitter, or a kennel, or whatever, for that long.

Sheesh! You'd think they'd jump on my offer! I want to share my traveling experiences with my mom and dad as they were financially strapped when raising me, and still are; they didn't get the opportunity to see the world and I'm afraid they never will...:(

CorbinCatFan,

Hey, my parents live in Corbin too!

I would tell her to watch her surroundings, and be aware (just like at home), but most of all have a good time. The best vacations we have had (except going to Corbin, of course) have been on a ship.

It can be relaxing, exciting, and fun all at once.

I would tell her, also, she might get lonely without you!

Brenda

Small world. Have you lived in Corbin?

What?

Is she:

a) 1st time cruiser: ie: is this her first cruise?

or

b) experienced cruiser: ie: is this her 6th cruise?

If Mom & Pop have that many cruises under their belts too, they would be in the BEST position as parents and as experienced cruisers to give their daughter advice!! ;)

I really don't think that there is anything you should be confused about! ;)

Happy cruising to daughter, Mom & Pop :D :)

Well Captain, it will be her 6th cruise but the first paying for it out of her own pocket. I've been sending her links from this board to help her along but I learn something from here everyday.

She has 5 cruises under her belt with dear mom and dad so this is her first without supervision. I am so excited for her (wished she would have remember that I paid for her first 5 and would have returned the favor.:confused: )

Same here but, I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen:)

CorbinCatFan,

My father's family has lived in Knox County (their part of Corbin is in Knox County) for close to 200 years. I have never lived there, but we enjoy visits.

Have you always lived there? I just talked to them today, and they had been to Cumberland Falls.

Brenda

CorbinCatFan,

My father's family has lived in Knox County (their part of Corbin is in Knox County) for close to 200 years. I have never lived there, but we enjoy visits.

Have you always lived there? I just talked to them today, and they had been to Cumberland Falls.

Brenda

At least four generations in Corbin. Mother's family was in the gasoline distirbution business in Knox and she graduated from Lynn Camp. Know any Helton's or Hood's?

I have heard of Heltons.

Daddy's family is Boltons, Alfords, Noes, Partins, Goldens, etc. They are from the Barbourville, Artemus area originally. The Williams' were from the Corbin area and the Hamblin's from Williamsburg area.

My parents live near Lynn Camp High School. I think the sub is Deer Creek.

Brenda

My 8 year old daughter has been on 5 cruises now she told me the other day if she could find her way to Florida she would go on that Disney ship by her self. If she ever runs away from home thats the first place I will look for her

CCat Fan - I understand what you're saying. Even though she's cruised five times previously, this is her first solo. I'm female, much older than your DD, but I have a few words for her.....

Be aware of your surroundings. You don't have to be skittish or paranoid, but just know who or what might be near. Stay in more populated areas; not down some trail by yourself. (I DO take cabs by myself, and that probably isn't smart, but I do it anyway.);)

Also - a solo cruiser, especially female, should be aware of the alcoholic beverages. Don't want a spiked drink, so kinda watch it closely. Don't leave it on a bar to go dance.

Just use the precautions you would at home.

Mom - don't worry so much about her. I'm sure you've taught her well, and she already knows the ins and out of cruising. Just needs to be a bit more cautious when traveling alone. I'm sure she'll have a great trip!:)

If she is going to be drinking alcohol, the best way to avoid a spiked drink is by doing shooters instead of drinking cocktails - you get it down before anyone has a chance to put something in it. :D

I would love to take my mommy and daddy on a cruise!! I've begged them for a few years now (I've only been financially independent/out of college for a few years!) to allow me to fund our family vacation, but they keep refusing!! They said they can't leave our dogs alone, or with a sitter, or a kennel, or whatever, for that long.

Sheesh! You'd think they'd jump on my offer! I want to share my traveling experiences with my mom and dad as they were financially strapped when raising me, and still are; they didn't get the opportunity to see the world and I'm afraid they never will...:(

Your parents will just need a little more convincing and they will come around...but in the off chance they dont..I would be willing to adopt you as a daughter....You sound like a wonderful girl!!! :) :)

I was concerned when my daughter took her first cruise with her boyfriend without us...It was just a weekend cruise but I sat by the phone thinking something would happen. As it was she called us from Ensenada and told us that she had gotten married...she was kidding of course hahahah BIG JOKE! But seriously, she had been on 6 cruises with us as a child and had "learned the ropes." She was fine and had a great time. I'm sure your daughter will also have a great experience.

Same here but, I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen:)

Definately don't hold your breath. We offered to take our eldest and her DH cruising with us last year. She found out that she was pregnant so they went to Hawaii instead and didn't even ask us to go.:mad: Ginger D and I have done 3 cruises since then. Alone, I might add.

Archived