wine & soda from seattle to vancouver

cherylalf

We plan on bringing a few bottles of wine & soda from home onboard with us. Is there an issue going across the border? Can I buy wine in Vancouver at a reasonable price instead? I do have a special bottle I'd like to bring from home.

Supposedly the limit is one bottle of wine or booze per person; we've never been asked.

There are many fine BC wines, many of which are relatively scarce in the US. You might think about getting a couple of bottles of those while you're there.

The other thing we love to get in BC is the wonderful hard cider sold at the govt. liquor stores - really wonderful stuff, ranging from dry, almost champagne-tasting, to reasonably but not apple juice sweet. Wonderfully refreshing, but with something of a punch.

Until Oceania Insignia 4/23 Rome - Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;4;23;18;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Gardyloo,

Is there really a problem? We had planned on buying 6 0r 7 bottles of wine in Seattle for our June 4 Mercury cruise. Now we'll have to take the Amtrak train to Vancouver for departure. Do you think I'll be ok if the bottles are in my carry-on bag?

You are allowed to bring in 40 ounces per person into Canada. We have a wonderful selection here and with the US dollar you can buy some great wines. You may also have a problem getting them on the ship.

Time for another Cruise!

40 oz x 2 pers. = 80 oz, or around 3 750ml bottles of wine. They might charge you some duty on more than that, but if you can schlep it, you can try. Personally I would take none and use it as an excuse to go wine shopping in Vancouver; plus it will make the train trip go easier.

You are persumably aware that Celebrity charges something like $12 or $15 corkage on BYOW; otherwise bring your own corkscrew.

Also note Juneau is full of well-paid government-employed wine-sippers, so you could also use your shore time there to top up the old cellar.

Until Oceania Insignia 4/23 Rome - Barcelona

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;4;23;18;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

If they charge you duty on the wine-it will be more than the wine is worth. My folks took an extra bottle home last year-about $10.00Us-and got hit with duty,PST and GST on it. icon_eek.gifIt worked out to double what the wine was worth. So, be careful.

Time for another Cruise!

Most BC liquor stores are gov't run. (Some local wineries have their own stores and there are some private wine shops too.) The staff at most of the gov't stores are very knowledgeable, but the staff at the 'Specialty' stores are exceptional. There is one on Thurlow in downtown Vancouver. They'll be able to recommend something to suit your tastes and budget. P.S. If you like dessert wines, I'd suggest trying Icewine which is produced in BC's Okanagan Valley.

BC Liquor site

Tip: To search for Vancouver stores by region, select Lower Mainland.

Archived