RSVP/PlanetOut Stock Dropped 34% in One Day!!

defreeze

In their quarterly results annoucement yesterday, they said they are going to "streamline" operations. They also blamed much of the loss on acquiring RSVP.

I wouldn't be surprised if RSVP is gone in the next year. I doubt they will cancel upcoming cruises, they'll probably just finish out what they have scheduled. The question is, can the company remain in business long enough to turn around?

Since RSVP could be considered a 'service' more than a 'product', the users will still travel regardless. I suspect RSVP's value is essentially in their Alumni and event production formula. The poison pill had to be acquisition with a still selling (rather 'not' selling) QM2 Transatlantic. Perhaps Atlantis ought to prepare for a surge in cruisers.

>>From the May 3 Minneapolis Star Tribune:

You can cruise like kings and queens on the Queen Mary 2 ocean liner for the price of a peasant -- from $798 for an inside stateroom. On the Cunard website, these staterooms (standard inside D1-D8 rooms in the Brittania Club) sell for $1,400 to $2,500 with Cunard's early book savings program (EBS), but at http://www.rsvpvacations.com , the same rooms are selling for $798 to $1,148 per person in a double-occupancy room. Caveats, there are a few: You need an open calendar this month, plus a valid passport. You need to arrange and pay for air fare to New York City and back from London. The New York to Southampton, England, crossing May 29 through June 4 is a gay cruise, but gay-friendly passengers can book, too. About 90 percent of the passengers are men, who, although they may not love the ladies, will love to see what they're wearing. All food and entertainment on the ship is included; drinks are extra. An additional $350 in port charges will be added to each fare. Call 1-800-328-7787 for details.…<<

Since RSVP could be considered a 'service' more than a 'product', the users will still travel regardless. I suspect RSVP's value is essentially in their Alumni and event production formula. The poison pill had to be acquisition with a still selling (rather 'not' selling) QM2 Transatlantic. Perhaps Atlantis ought to prepare for a surge in cruisers.

I'm not sure that's true. A service is when they book you on regular cruises in a group. RSVP tends to charter entire ships. If they defaulted on a payment for a sailing, I'm guessing the line would cancel the charter.

As long as PlanetOut obtains the $15 million in new capital requested by the creditors, I don't see them disappearing anytime soon, and I can't imagine $15 million being much of an obstacle. Keep in mind this company is attracting some major players among them Allen & Company, if you don't know who they are check out the link:

http://www.hoovers.com/allen-&-company/--ID__51026--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml

Gregg

Phoenix

P.S. I'm buying more LGBT this morning!

I just love all the "experts" on here. Do you own PO stock? Are you involved directly in the company? If not, then remember folks, it is all speculation on your part. By the way Jeff S was president and COO of Planet Out, not the CEO.

I don't think anyone was claiming to be an expert. The nature of the internet is speculation. Otherwise, what woudl we talk about?

Ditto. The whole nature of the stock market is you do the best you can with the information you can gather. It's then a combination of intuition, guess, market pyschology, luck and a couple million other things!

I don't think anyone was claiming to be an expert. The nature of the internet is speculation. Otherwise, what woudl we talk about?

Ditto!! The whole nature of the stock market is speculation, you do the best you can with the information you gather. It's then a matter of intuition, calculation, guess, market psychology, luck and a couple million other things. There's a place for people looking for a sure thing, it's called "the bank."

I just love all the "experts" on here. Do you own PO stock? Are you involved directly in the company? If not, then remember folks, it is all speculation on your part. By the way Jeff S was president and COO of Planet Out, not the CEO.

I don't see "expert" attached to any posters name. Not that it's relevant, but I did own "LGBT" stock (it trades as "LGBT" not "PO") which I sold when RSVP was purchased. Not sure why the Jeff reference, since he is not mentioned in this thread.

"Experts" unite! And keep the speculation coming!

This is just the type of "value" purchase he likes for Berkshire Hathaway - buy a deeply discounted stock that has great upside potential. And, think of the social capital he'd garner, too. Does anyone have the phone number or e-mail address for the "Oracle of Omaha"? ;) Or, pass this thread along to the Board of Planet Out.

I hope Planet Out can keep RSVP alive and kicking. As much as I like Atlantis, they need competition to keep them truly responsive to our community.

Gary

San Francisco

All anyone can do is speculate - even those who work at Planet Out. No doubt RSVP was a big drain, especially with all the really bad cruise choices for this year.. RSVP could be sold, because there is a lot of brand recognition, or they could keep it and turn it around... we all just have to wait and see. I'm not that worried, my deposit is guaranteed on my credit card for next Feb. Ships leaving in the next few months are already paid for - the cruise lines do not wait to be paid.

Archived